• Register
  • Help

Topic: Big difference between 24bit and 16bit samples?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Big difference between 24bit and 16bit samples?

Can\'t speak for this particular lib but in general, higher values are important during mixing signals and when using effects, eq, or normalize etc. Same when mixing keys of 16 bit samples, the mixed result will exceed 16 bit and gears/software in the signal flow need to handle the higher bit depth.

I guess that\'s why it\'s quite common with relatively low numbers on the converters but extreme high numbers in mixers and effects.

Hakan

Hi Plundrik, there will definitly be a very reasonable upgrade path to the 24 bit GS3.0 version don\'t worry. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

For now, you have plenty of RAM, you should be all set for your project as far as RAM goes, as for your cpu I honestly don\'t know it all depends how many tracks of audio you\'re running alongside Gigastudio and how many effects you\'re using, but the 16 bit giga version will run very smoothly with those specs. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kindly,
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Regarding the quality of 16-bit vs. 24-bit libraries...

Giga already mixes to 24-bits, and, as a signal processing guy, I know that their internal path is even wider. So, you take the 16-bit piano, mix, EQ, reverb it and such, and work with it at the higher bit level through the whole path. As the last step, convert it down to 16-bits for the CD. The difference between starting with a 24-bit library and a 16-bit library will be *really* subtle.

If you\'re doing solo piano work, then the difference will probably be detectable to a set of platinum ears. If it\'s in a mix, then I would question whether the difference can be heard or not.

Anyway, Giga\'s already 24-bits where it counts. Just not on the front (sample) end.

And I\'m glad to hear that Franky will be offering an attractive upgrade path. I hope that starts a trend. I\'d hate to see the latest libraries lose sales because of 24-bit upgrade price uncertainty.

Big difference between 24bit and 16bit samples?

Hello

I just ordered the vintaudio yamaha c7 piano in 16bit format. I\'m just wondering if I am missing out on something since it is also available in 24bit? Will it make a difference when recorded to a CD? (witch is 16bit anyway) Hope I can get a crossgrade offer when GS 3.0 comes out! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Also, I\'m a bit afraid that I won\'t be able to record audio in Sonar when also using such a huge piano in the same project. (I own a 1,8 GHz P4 with 1024 RAM)

Thanks for any thoughts on this subject!
    Best regards

Hello

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it! Very helpful post, Jon,, thanks!

Can\'t wait to receive the c7 sample, Franky, [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Best regards

Shipping out first thing monday morning Plundrik, and thank you for the order [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kindly,
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Go Back to forum