• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Who Is Developing for Mach 5?

Share/Bookmark

Who Is Developing for Mach 5?

While the included sample conversion utility does a pretty darn good job of converting, I\'m wondering if any of you developers out there, big or small, will be doing your libraries in M5 format. On the Mac, I think this will be THE sampler of choice, unless you\'re using Logic. For Pro Tools and DP users (and maybe EVEN a few Logic users) M5 is wonderful. Direct from disk is not implemented yet but will be, making this a really terrific and easy to use option.

Converting is always a drag, so a library MADE for M5 would be great.

Thanks for any input!

Re: Who Is Developing for Mach 5?

Can\'t M5 run VST? They could run together couldn\'t they?

M5 works fine in Logic. Its takes an extra step to manually assign M5s midi channel to the same midi channel as the intrument channel on which you instanciate it.
    But its no big deal. Just not as seemless as all the other soft samplers.

Perhaps Tom just meant that EXS already has a stronghold on the logic market.

The fact the M5 lets you load multiple presets and layer them, edit them, effect them all in the same instance is pretty cool.
    MULTI\'s!!!! yeah baby!

I think this will be THE sampler of choice, unless you\'re using Logic
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My take: clearly it will be THE sampler of choice if you\'re using Digital Performer; I think it will be A sampler of choice even if you are using Logic; and it appears to be ONE OF the samplers of choice for Pro Tools, along with Kontakt/Kompakt and anything else that supports RTAS or ReWire.

But ultimately the samplers of choice will depend on the developers, because it\'s the libraries that are going to sell the samplers. And I\'m not trying to piss off Bruce by saying that, because features are a good feature too!

double post [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> I think this will be THE sampler of choice, unless you\'re using Logic
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My take: clearly it will be THE sampler of choice if you\'re using Digital Performer; I think it will be A sampler of choice even if you are using Logic; and it appears to be ONE OF the samplers of choice for Pro Tools, along with Kontakt/Kompakt and anything else that supports RTAS or ReWire.

But ultimately the samplers of choice will depend on the developers, because its the libraries that are going to sell the samplers. And I\'m not trying to piss off Bruce by saying that, because features are a good feature too!
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Kontakt, on the Mac, looks like a bad PC port. Like they do when they have a hit PC videogame and then say \"Now Available for Mac!.\" M5 is a lot more in the Mac tradition and my feeling is more Mac users will choose it, while PC guys may prefer it. JMHO. I own both.

Kontakt\'s window is the same on both platforms, so I\'m afraid I don\'t quite understand that.

Or are you talking about the old \"adheres to the Apple guidelines\" thing that used to be one of the bars in the summary charts at the top of reviews in Mac magazines? If so, I think that\'s gone the way of the Mac Plus!

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    Kontakt\'s window is the same on both platforms, so I\'m afraid I don\'t quite understand that.

Or are you talking about the old \"adheres to the Apple guidelines\" thing that used to be one of the bars in the summary charts at the top of reviews in Mac magazines? If so, I think that\'s gone the way of the Mac Plus!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I guess it\'s one of those \"If you have to ask, you\'ll never know things.\" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

How about that green screen? What\'s that from, The Andromeda Strain? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Yeah, very un-Mac like. Most Mac programs do adhere to common operational modes of course, or it would be chaos. I would assume PC programs do to, but don\'t know since I don\'t use one.

Tech Support at NI agreed that they had a lot of complaints about it\'s looks/interface on the Mac. But hey, if you like it great. I found it extremely hard to read and several aspects of it\'s operation were most unusual on the Mac.

That said, Dougs work with the interface looks very cool, so maybe some of that wil eventually trickle down (up?) to Kontakt....

Well, are Logic, Reason, Digital Performer, EXS24, Access Virus TDM...Internet Explorer, Microsoft Word, blablabla Mac-like? They all have widely different interfaces.

Anyway, I didn\'t mean to voice an opinion either way about Kontakt\'s screen (I don\'t really have one). My question is how it looks like a bad PC port when it has the same interface on both platforms.

One thing\'s for sure: the green window isn\'t going to affect anyone\'s buying decision.

And I almost forgot to add OS X to that list! It\'s not very Mac-like!

Go Back to forum