• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS strings VS vsl strings??

Share/Bookmark

GOS strings VS vsl strings??

anyone out there have both?? i have the lite GOS - ( which i like) and am considering upgrading to the full version instead of getting the cube strings-( at least for now) any thoughts on this?
    thanks

Re: GOS strings VS vsl strings??

Originally posted by mike harper:
    anyone out there have both?? i have the lite GOS - ( which i like) and am considering upgrading to the full version instead of getting the cube strings-( at least for now) any thoughts on this?
    thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The VSL Strings Cube is very playable, right out of the box. The strings are very dry, in fact they are sterle I think! This is unnatural sounding to me, because IMO a very large part of the sound of strings is produced by the environment they are played in, and artificial reverb cannot reproduce this very well.

GOS is a really nice ambient large string ensemble when played in unison. However, as a general rule the more instruments that are added for divisi, the more ambience. This ambience can produce mud if you\'re not careful. There are work arounds to this, i.e., don\'t play the first and second violins toghether when they are both playing in unison, just use play one.

The latest updates to GOS are really nice, here the violins sound better in divisi than the do in unison! What I do is use King\'s Grand Sustains for the unison violins, and his Hollywood strings for divisi parts.

The basses and cellos have some outstanding meaty stuccato\'s.

All of the newest updates still need help from maestro tools with legato string sections, and you will still probably find your self needing to tweak things in order to get a fluent sound. For me, at least, GOS is NOT playable out of the box. So if your looking for something you can play and accept what you get, then I suggest VSL cube, even without the legato tool, it doesn\'t seem to be plagued with that \"wup, wup wup\" sound inbetween notes.

The total number of instruments and articulations available in GOS should provide you with a far better string ensemble than the VSL ORCHESTRAL cube by itself(w/out the performance tool) IMO, still requires tweaking.

Good luck,
    Rick

Another doubel post, this is caused by a habit of mine, I always choose the back arrow on my browser.

What do you guys think of the
    SI strings compared with the other
    two?

Regarding ambient vs. non-ambient libraries, I think ambient is best if you do mostly full orchestral works. If you do the odd section here or there, string quartets, or backings for pop/rock/whatever, then the dry approach is best. Having close/medium/far mike options may be the best solution for all-arounders.

Of course this is secondary if one library gives the musical result that you like and another doesn\'t. Decisions, decisions...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    Regarding ambient vs. non-ambient libraries, I think ambient is best if you do mostly full orchestral works.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I own some fantastic studio recordings of orchestras...it\'s all good.

Someone needs to explain this, so why not me:

Without commenting on which is \"better\" (since I haven\'t played GOS and only just started working with VSL), the whole point of the Silent Stage studio they built for VSL is to produce dry recordings with just a little bit of air. They\'re not intended to be played dry - the idea is that they want to let you add your own ambience.

The EW/QL library takes a different tack, simultaneously recording everything close, farther back, and way farther back in a really good hall. You can mix and match, using real ambience instead of a reverb unit. Their idea is that you barely even need to mix, since everthing is recorded in place! I\'m curious to hear how well the multiple solo natural ambiences will combine, since it\'s not the same thing as the single moosh you get from a live ensemble.

Without knowing for sure, my hunch is that both approaches are \"right,\" especially now that we have Altiverb and other convolution processors.

To me, the most important question is how playable the libraries are or can be made to be. It\'s all important, of course, but performance nuances make a much bigger difference to the sound than the samples themselves. Does anyone remember Sal Galina\'s demos of the WX synth in the \'80s? FM emulations totally suck by today\'s standards, yet he pulled it off really well because he\'s such a good player.

I have a few beautiful recordings made at the London hit factory, I have a picture here of the recording: It looks like they have some huge bass traps behind the conductor, (they look like they are 8\' high at least), some diffusors on the walls, but more wall showing than I expected. A couple iso booths in the back. All the strings are together, with two mic\'s way up there by the ceiling toward the middle of the ensemble facing toward the left and right of the group respectively. A mic behind the music stand facing the concert master, two mic\'s about 6\' high over the cello and bass section. Can\'t see any more detail here but it sure looks like they tried to capture some \"air\" here to me!

See ya,
    Rick

Go Back to forum