• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Intergrating outboard FX with a DAW

Share/Bookmark

OT: Intergrating outboard FX with a DAW

I\'ve been impressed recently with demo\'s that use outboard FX and a DAW, in particular, Maarten\'s demos.

My question is how do I intergrate outboard FX with my DAW? I have a Delta 44 soundcard that has a breakout box (4 in, 4 out) and am using Cubase SX. Is it just a case of running an ouput from Delta 44 to the FX rack and then 2 outputs from the FX back to the Delta 44 ins? And once I have it hooked up correctly how do I use it in my sequencer?

Finally, any recommendations for an outboard Reverb? One suitable for orchestral music?

Any tips or pointers would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Re: OT: Intergrating outboard FX with a DAW

I use Logic but I imagine SX is similar. Route the output of a bus in the mixer in SX to one of the outputs of your hardware. Plug that output into the input of your hardware reverb, (I would heartily recomened a Lexicon MPX500/550). Route a send for any channels you want to add external reverb to the same bus as above. For the reverb returns, route two inputs on your hardware to an aux/input channel in your mixer (set up so it monitors the input live.) Route that into your main mix bus. The above makes sense on the planet I come from!!!

Can I ask, some of the Lexicons appear to have SP/DIF now, can you route the signal out digitally and back again?

Thanks, Scott.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    Can I ask, some of the Lexicons appear to have SP/DIF now, can you route the signal out digitally and back again?

Thanks, Scott.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes. I don\'t because it ties up the SPDIF ports of my audio hardware. Some of the Lexicons (MPX100 for example,) only have an SPDIF out which means it would have to be the master clock of your whole system. Not a good idea. The MPX500/550 has SPDIF in and out so what you said is fine. You\'d need to watch out for SPDIF loops possibly which sound like World War 2!

Mr Arkandine

Does the soundblaster your describing with the KX drivers include WDM and ASIO drivers?

Has anyone used it this way to work in the Sonar environment? I am interested to hear your results. How does it perform as a multi duplex?

Thanks

Dave

The Sonar newsgroup is riddled with messages about people having problems with Creative products (SB Live and Audigy. The day I took mine out of my machine was the day I quit having problems!

I did try the KX drivers at work, and they were very buggy at that time (about a year ago).

-- Martin

Originally posted by dalamein:

Does the soundblaster your describing with the KX drivers include WDM and ASIO drivers?

Has anyone used it this way to work in the Sonar environment? I am interested to hear your results. How does it perform as a multi duplex?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Dave,

The Kx drivers are WDM. It is claimed in the KxProject site that a latency of 10ms in Sonar can be achieved depending on your setup.

Regarding Asio, this is from the FAQ page (view it at http://kxproject.spb.ru/faq.php?language=en#Q19 ):
    Q. Does the kX driver have ASIO support? ASIOv2?

A. ASIO v2.0 - based hosts are fully supported, however, some ASIO2 features are not implemented due to hardware limitations. 24-bit ASIO support is planned for both 10k1 and 10k2 as soon as possible (for the 10k2 initially, to be followed by the 10k1).

Q. What kind of latency can I expect to see?

A. The minimum expected ASIO latency is expected to be 5.33 ms (and possibly as low as 2.66 ms, depending on your hardware/software setup).

I know it works duplex fine, because I was playing a dry track and recording the wet output of the card at the same time. As for multi duplex performance, how could I test that?

The card comes with many DSP effects, and let me tell you that they sound awesome. Try APS Everb, for example. Much better than NFX, and without taxing the CPU.

There\'s another pack of DSP effects that don\'t come with the official driver release, but people are raving about them in the forums, and I\'m going to install them when I\'m done typing this. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

My advice is to get a second hand Audigy in eBay (because it has better S/N), or get a Live! in eBay also. You can get them for less than $10.

These Kx drivers work in Win2k, XP, 98SE, and ME.
    I just tested in Win2k, and I\'m getting 160 voices in Giga without pops or crackles.

Another thing, just check in the forums at the KxProject site, and do a search on Sonar. Just to make sure it\'s going to work for you (I don\'t use Sonar just yet), because I remember seeing a post from someone asking how to make Sonar recognize the Asio channels of their card under the KxProject drivers.

Take care,

Ruben

P.S.: I hope I\'m not hijacking this thread too much.

Ruben

Thanks, thats great info

Dave

Hey Dave,

No problem, I have spent these past 3 or 4 days checking stuff in that KxProject site.
    Hopefully you can use this to good end in your studio.

Take care,

Ruben

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Scott Cairns:

Thanks, Scott.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes. I don\'t because it ties up the SPDIF ports of my audio hardware. Some of the Lexicons (MPX100 for example,) only have an SPDIF out which means it would have to be the master clock of your whole system. Not a good idea. The MPX500/550 has SPDIF in and out so what you said is fine. You\'d need to watch out for SPDIF loops possibly which sound like World War 2!

--------------------
    Dave Marsden
    http://www.gameaudio.com
    UK
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Dave. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum