• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Forum Festival: Flute Trio

Share/Bookmark

Forum Festival: Flute Trio

Here is a piece I did for the Flute Society of Cleveland. This was performed live 3 years ago. I present both the live files and the Finale/Aria versions. These renderings in Finale are from a time when I was just learning the 'inroads' of rendering, so I apologize for any 'roughness' to the product. The 'live' performances are added as a comparison.

DANCE SUITE FOR FLUTES:

I. Danse Mystique: Finale.........Live

II. Pavanne: ........Finale..........Live

III. Danse Macabre: Finale........Live

I will post the other Flute trio if there is any interest in another post.

BTW, for those flutists out there, this piece can be purchased from BRS Music, Inc. Be forewarned, it is a level 5 difficulty and includes multi-phonics.

Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Forum Festival: Flute Trio

Bill: Level 5 indeed. I listened to "Danse Mystique." The flutes are Garritan, right? Which ones? Just curious.

If I were still teaching and I had three "eligible" flute players, I would definitely program this piece.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Bill: Level 5 indeed. I listened to "Danse Mystique." The flutes are Garritan, right? Which ones? Just curious.

If I were still teaching and I had three "eligible" flute players, I would definitely program this piece.
    Hi gogreen1,

I used Garritan's n-Flute Solo KS for all three flutes. By the way, the multiphonics do not have to be performed, the group that played it chose just to play the top note of the notated multiphonic.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

OK. Thanks. I can see why Bruce published this piece. Very imaginative. I think you pulled one heck of a lot of different sounds out of just three flutes!
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    OK. Thanks. I can see why Bruce published this piece. Very imaginative. I think you pulled one heck of a lot of different sounds out of just three flutes!

Thanks Art. I find it enjoyable writing tor the Flute Society.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

What a fantastic post, Bill - It's always very interesting, exciting even, to hear live performances alongside Garritan recordings. That alone makes this thread especially appreciated. Then there's the moody and mysterious music itself which can take the listener on quite a trip into The Twilight Zone!

Thanks, Bill!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What a fantastic post, Bill - It's always very interesting, exciting even, to hear live performances alongside Garritan recordings. That alone makes this thread especially appreciated. Then there's the moody and mysterious music itself which can take the listener on quite a trip into The Twilight Zone!

Thanks, Bill!

Randy
    Thanks Randy, the flutists liked playing also.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Hey Bill ... Thanks for posting my request!

I know I had these on a drive somewhere, but have them again now where I can find them! Neat to have both the virtual and live performances.

There's a playfulness to this suite ... not necessarily a nice playfulness; but a little naughty; a little disturbed. I really like it.

Was this ever performed with dancers?

I read an interesting interview with Bob Brookmeyer once where he talked about how when school jazz bands would attempt some of his more dissonant pieces, they often would have to go back and learn how to play precisely in tune before playing his pieces. And that makes a lot of sense; dissonant voicings can be beautiful (as demonstrated in your trio as well); but intervals played out of tune just sound horrendous! Big difference!

Thanks again for the re-post.

Frank

EDIT: The 'real' flautists did a great job with this! Not the easiest piece to wrap their embochure around

I liked this very much. it sounds challenging to perform too, which is nice for performers.
    It's tempting me to write a flute quartet now.

Frank, you are more than welcome. I am glad you enjoyed the pieces. Yes, the Flute Society here in Cleveland has a lot of exceptional players. Every year they sponsor a Cleveland Connection concert where they invite local composers (Cleveland connection) to submit a work for their society. They then choose the ones they like and perform them in the spring. I have been selected 3 times. They make a professional recording of the performance and give it to the composers.

You are right, one must (MUST) be in tune when playing dissonants!

Thanks for listening,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast