• Register
  • Help

Topic: Excellent book on the creative process

Share/Bookmark

Excellent book on the creative process

I just finished reading Shaun McNiff's book Trust the Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go. McNiff is mainly an artist, but his art focus can be applied to just about any creative discipline. The book is an excellent read for anyone who wants to gain insight into the creative process, regardless of the discipline.

I wonder which books forum members might recommend that are specifically about the process of composing. I might not be particularly well-read on this topic, so maybe my naivety is showing through. I have, though, read my share of biographies and philosophies. Or perhaps there really isn't a lot written on this aspect of composing or on the creative process in other creative arts. Perhaps many of these books don't focus directly on the creative process, but they offer insights here and there.

Nevertheless, since I read Shaun McNiff's book, I understand the process of composing better, and applying that understanding makes composing a more liberating experience. So I am hungry for more insights into the process.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Re: Excellent book on the creative process

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    I just finished reading Shaun McNiff's book Trust the Process: An Artist's Guide to Letting Go. McNiff is mainly an artist, but his art focus can be applied to just about any creative discipline. The book is an excellent read for anyone who wants to gain insight into the creative process, regardless of the discipline...
    Arthur, I've been meaning to thank you for posting about this book. It sounds great, and I'll be getting it.

Here's a wonderful book about the creative process, written in 1975 before the era of "self help" books, and light years ahead in intelligence and insight than the average book of that sort. This is meaty, great stuff that an artist of any kind would benefit from reading:

"The Courage to Create" by Rollo May.

Here are two quotes from online about this superb book:

"...One of May’s themes, threaded throughout the diverse chapters, is that true creative activity is an 'encounter,' one that forever changes the artist. Without this encounter, he argues, our creative output will be dry and lifeless..."

"...What if imagination and art are not, as many of us might think, the frosting on life, but the fountainhead of human experience? What if our logic and science derive from art forms, rather than the other way around?
    In this trenchant volume, Rollo May helps all of us find those creative impulses that, once liberated, offer new possibilities for achievement..."

I know you're hoping to find good books specifically about composing, Arthur, but in case you haven't come across Rollo May before, I had to let you and thread visitors know.

Randy

Re: Excellent book on the creative process

You're welcome! I just got back from the library ordering The Courage to Create from interlibrary loan. I had heard of it for a while, and since you mentioned it, I finally decided it was high time to read it! Thanks for the recommendation!
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Go Back to forum