• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Suite, for english horn and clarinet

Share/Bookmark

Suite, for english horn and clarinet

A very "stark" piece, naked and exposed, for two monophonic instruments.
    There are no fireworks, not instrumental trickery... just two instruments in dialogue.

the movements are as follows:

1. Prelude
    2. Dance 1
    3. Nocturne
    4. Dance 2
    5. Dialogues

These are the GPO4 solo instruments, and it's surprising just how expressive they are.

It's official title is "Miniature Suite", it's very short.
    Originally it was a commission for a doctoral recital (performance, clarinet).

Anyway, it's something a bit different from me.

Re: Suite, for english horn and clarinet

Hi Michel,

Playing this for the third time now; I really like the intimacy of it; very lovely. As you mentioned, there is nothing to hide behind.

There's probably not a warmer, more introspective pair of woodwinds than cor and clarinet (especially in their lowest registers) ... two of my absolutely favorite instruments. I thought you did a nice job of varying both instrument's registers, especially the clarinet's who has such a wide one.

At 6:48 I thought the movement (end of Dance II?) ended a little abruptly ... intentional?

Really enjoyed this.

Frank

hehehe, thank-you Frank. Yes, Dance 2 does end abruptly, and yes it's on purpose.

the clarinet part is more demanding than the cor anglais part, but that was intentional, since it was commissioned for a clarinet doctoral recital... and he played it incredibly too. Got a standing ovation (first ever standing ovation for a piece of mine) for his performance.

I also love the intimacy of the combination. But to be perfectly frank (no pun intended), it is VERY difficult for me to approach music this stark and sparse. I am, at heart, a symphonist.

Very very very nice work.

These small ensemble simple compositions are my favorite to write and to listen to at the moment.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Michel, long, short, large, small, I'll take your music in any shape and size I can get it. This is a thoroughly enjoyable Suite, and rendered very nicely too. Thanks for continuing to grace the pages of our Listening Room with your work.

Randy

Mille grazie, Fabio.

Thank-you Randy.

Writing for this sort of ensemble is surprisingly difficult. At least, it is for me. I was surprised to find that the parts I enjoyed writing the most were the very slow parts.

Somewhere in the past I've read that the Garritan Woodwinds in the GPO bundle are the best, at least very good. This proves it, apart from the wonderful writing. I recently discovered the Cor Anglais and immediately loved the sound. The clarinet is for me a bit a Jekyll and Hyde (forgive the spelling) instrument. The lower registers always call for some melancholy, while the higher sets me feel like : I warned you, you had this coming. A bit bold.

What a very nice piece this is.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    Writing for this sort of ensemble is surprisingly difficult. At least, it is for me. I was surprised to find that the parts I enjoyed writing the most were the very slow parts.
    I agree, it is extremely difficult. You can't hide behind any other sound. All the focus should be on the quality of the performance (and rendering). Also see my other message.

Raymond

I have always felt that the GPO woodwinds were the very best part of the library...
    and, in the hands of a master such as Michel, we hear them used to great impact and effect.

I have always had a fondness for the chalumeau range of the clarinet as well as for the English
    Horn, so I have a double dose of listening pleasure here. I especially like the combination in this suite, as the
    clarinet weaves above and below the cor.

Thanks for sharing! Please feel free to venture out of your symphonic "comfort zone" more frequently

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Very beautiful and effective writing. Yes, there is no place to hide with just two monophonic instruments - but in your case, there is no need to do! A lovely use of tonal language without ever becoming cliched or formulaic - engaging throughout.

Enjoyed this one a lot!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast