• Register
  • Help

Topic: I'd like to hear your opinions on my GIG bank..

Share/Bookmark

I\'d like to hear your opinions on my GIG bank..

Hello,
    I\'d like to hear your opinions on my experimental vocal GIG bank I\'ve created - with $15 mic and a PC with Sound Blaster Live, recorded at home, sample quality 22 kHz. I\'ve composed quick demos:

For direct comparison - I\'ve recorded first demo with my sound bank first, and then the same MIDI file with as similar as possible voice from Symphony of Voices instead of my bank, so you can hear both results:

First demo - my sound bank: Demo1.mp3
    First demo - Symphony of Voices: Demo1-SOV.mp3

Second demo - my sound bank: Demo2.mp3

I\'ve also used this bank in \"On the Verge\" tune I\'ve posted here some time ago (time 0:39-0:48): Ontheverge.mp3

There are, of course, known problems - especially tuning. The singer has some tuning problems herself. The bank is not meant to be near-perfect, it was made with cheapest gear possible. But anyway, I\'d like to hear your opinions on this GIG bank.

Re: I\'d like to hear your opinions on my GIG bank..

Sounds nice, for what it is.....

Do you wan\'t to give it away? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I would gladly take it and use it! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Alex

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hard to tell. I actually like the fact that the singer sounds a bit tentative, it works for that kind of new-agey thing.

The other one reminds me of Allegria (cirque du soliel) a bit.

I would really cut back on that reverb...or more specifically, try to avoid putting everything in the same reverb. To get a really sparkling mix, you need variety. If you want depth, then something has to be close, so there\'s a point of comparison. If everything is equally deep, then the sound becomes boxy.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    If everything is equally deep, then the sound becomes boxy.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bruce is cool!.....heheh

I talked about this with a lot of people, but never heard it said so nicely and to the point!

Alex

PetN-

Why\'d you use such low-end gear? You and your vocalist deserve better.

Did you create a full sample set (whatever \"full\" means in this context), or just record the particular music and break it up into sample chunks for keyboard playback?

Anyway, good luck with it, and thanks for sharing..
    Carl

Thanks for replies, lex, Bruce, carlmsmith.
    Yes, it\'s a good suggestion, equally deepnes of reverb is the problem. But I wanted to make demos really quickly, so I did only sketches. But, yes, they sound boxy, as well as my other tunes. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

carlsmith: No, it\'s full GIG bank with all sampled tones. The demos were composed after the complete bank was recorded, edited and finished. It has nothing to do with any particular music parts.
    Thanks, Carl.

PetN,

Actually, I like your samples better than the SOV in this context. Sounds more realistic.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum