• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Can You Please Take a Look at My Score?

Share/Bookmark

Post Can You Please Take a Look at My Score?

Hello everyone. I am planning on submitting this work soon for publication consideration, but I need a little help and advice from you. The questions are simply: how does it look overall and does everything simply work and make since? Some of the other concerns I have are what do you all think about the crash-choke in mea. 43, and there are several instances where the rhythms are 2 against 3 in the brass verses the percussion (for example, measures: 25, 42, 46, 55, etc.) The desire effect was to cause tension and momentum. Does this work for all of you? I was just wondering your thoughts and comments before I sent this one in. If I get this one published it will be my 5th one this year, a record for me, but since I am trying a new publisher who specializes in fanfares I want to have this one just right for them before I send it in.
    The work is called "Fanfare for Earth" and scored for brass (4 trumpets, 3 horns, 2 trombones, 1 bass trombone, 2 euphoniums, and 2 tubas,) and percussion (3 players: timpani, crash and suspended cymbals, and tam tam and bass drum.) Thank you so much!
    ~Rod
    score:https://www.box.com/s/ua7juyc4mu59ig4p09kq
    mp3: https://www.box.com/s/jawj4tslc5rjbhglkwh4

Re: Can You Please Take a Look at My Score?

Rod: The 2 against 3 rhythms you mentioned do work for me, but the tutti portions get a bit muddy to my ears. If I knew how to fix that, I'd make a suggestion, but I don't. Overall, I like the piece. It has an exotic sound, which I did not expect.

Do you study the fanfare scores of your target publisher, and if they are consistent, do you adapt your score as close as you can to the publisher's fonts and style? Just a presentation thought. Of course, the music has to speak for itself, but I think presentation may score points with some publishers.

If the publisher allows listening online to selections in the catalog, after doing that, do you mention how your submission would augment the catalog--how it would fit in with the publisher's offerings? Just another presentation thought.

Sometimes I do these things for a new publisher, sometimes I don't.

I want to add that I think this piece is eminently publishable.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Sure looks and sounds impressive to me, Rodney. I'm absolutely no expert when it comes to what a score should look like, and I'm always impressed when someone has done the work you have to make the presentation looks this clean and pro. If there are touches that should be done to make your potential publisher happier - I'd have no idea what they'd be.

It was great to hear the fanfare again. I don't think you should be concerned about the "muddiness" Arthur commented on - I feel that's the result of using virtual instruments with such a wet reverb signal in the mix. Acoustics just have a different effect when physical instruments are played in an actual venue.

Best wishes on this endeavor!

Randy

if you want comments on the engraving, I will give it a go.

I don't like the individual staves for every instrument. In my professional opinion, a conductor score should contain optimized and consolidated staves, especially when there are many unisons.

your accent marks should use a slimmer font, those are much too wide.

Tempo markings as well as tempo changes go only above the top staff (and above strings, in an orchestral score). In this case, as a brass band pieces, you could place them above the top staff, and again above percussion. But the top staff is normal. Every other staff is wrong.

accents should NEVER collide with slurs (measure 42 on).

you MUST leave more room for the glissando markings in your horn parts. Generally speaking, horn players will understand the notation you've used, but a more "normal" notation would be to mark the actual harmonic arpeggio required, with the text marking "gliss" above.

Measure number go ONCE, at the first measure of each system. Don't use boxed extra measure numbers. They only add confusion. It looks like you have rehearsal numbers and measure numbers. Rehearsal letters/numbers go at various important points in the score, so may arrive mid-way through a system. Measure numbers should not. They should always appear at the beginning of the staff.
    by the way, a larger font would be more acceptable for your measure numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Rod: The 2 against 3 rhythms you mentioned do work for me, but the tutti portions get a bit muddy to my ears. If I knew how to fix that, I'd make a suggestion, but I don't. Overall, I like the piece. It has an exotic sound, which I did not expect.

Do you study the fanfare scores of your target publisher, and if they are consistent, do you adapt your score as close as you can to the publisher's fonts and style? Just a presentation thought. Of course, the music has to speak for itself, but I think presentation may score points with some publishers.

If the publisher allows listening online to selections in the catalog, after doing that, do you mention how your submission would augment the catalog--how it would fit in with the publisher's offerings? Just another presentation thought.

Sometimes I do these things for a new publisher, sometimes I don't.

I want to add that I think this piece is eminently publishable.
    Thank you for easing my suffering stressing about if the 2's against 3's worked with this piece. The tutti portions may be a bit muddy, but I think I've done about all I am going to do with the mp3. It was time to move on to the score. I liked that you said exotic sound which was not what you expected. That means to me it was different, and different in my book is good because big brassy pieces can all start sounding the same. So if you want to answer, what part of the world or what style do you hear in this fanfare?

I did study the scores of the publisher and chose the font that best suited their style, but I also used just a touch of my other publishers such as Alfred Reed for a more "classic" look.
    I want them to say, "Wow, this looks already published."

I used to add some comments like that also back in the day if I never used a certain publisher before, and I may have to do it this time also. Recently though, I have been spoiled with my new publisher so this will be a change for me. Thank you for bringing this up. Thank you for the kind words saying that the fanfare is ready for publishing. That means a lot!
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    I liked that you said exotic sound which was not what you expected. That means to me it was different, and different in my book is good because big brassy pieces can all start sounding the same. So if you want to answer, what part of the world or what style do you hear in this fanfare?
    East Asia.

I'm hearing a gong or gong-like large cymbal--correct? You might want to specify that and the kind of mallets in the score.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    if you want comments on the engraving, I will give it a go.

I don't like the individual staves for every instrument. In my professional opinion, a conductor score should contain optimized and consolidated staves, especially when there are many unisons.

your accent marks should use a slimmer font, those are much too wide.

Tempo markings as well as tempo changes go only above the top staff (and above strings, in an orchestral score). In this case, as a brass band pieces, you could place them above the top staff, and again above percussion. But the top staff is normal. Every other staff is wrong.

accents should NEVER collide with slurs (measure 42 on).

you MUST leave more room for the glissando markings in your horn parts. Generally speaking, horn players will understand the notation you've used, but a more "normal" notation would be to mark the actual harmonic arpeggio required, with the text marking "gliss" above.

Measure number go ONCE, at the first measure of each system. Don't use boxed extra measure numbers. They only add confusion. It looks like you have rehearsal numbers and measure numbers. Rehearsal letters/numbers go at various important points in the score, so may arrive mid-way through a system. Measure numbers should not. They should always appear at the beginning of the staff.
    by the way, a larger font would be more acceptable for your measure numbers.
    Thank you for the response. I so appreciate it!

I debated on the individual staves for the instruments, but most conductors do not care for condensed scores rather appreciating seeing exactly what the instrument is playing and their correct transposition even if it’s a rest. A conductor has no problems looking and reading a complete score. I’ve conducted marching bands to orchestras, took conducting classes in college, etc. and the easiest scores to read where the full scores instead of the condensed ones where you had to prepare more just to find out what the euphonium player was doing at measure 82, for example. My conductor buddies have always felt the same. I also thought about individual parts dividing, but I personally hate looking at those as a performer, especially multiple ones.

The accents are in the Maestro regular font used by all. I looked in my published works in Alfred Publishing, C. Alan, etc. and they use the same. Maybe it’s a PDF thingy?

Concerning tempo changes, in every piece I have ever played in, and there has been a lot, tempo changes concerning numbers and “Largo, Allegro, etc.” go on top and rit., accel. Go below the staff. In choral music all go on the top because it tends to get in the way of the words of the song. Yes I could place them above the percussion here, but it will be in their parts and the conductor will see the changes at the top of the score anyways. I might still do it though.

The accents colliding were me having a brain fart. Those need to change. It’s good to have another set of eyes. Thank ya.

Actual harmonic arpeggio and a gliss, maybe a bit too much? I talked with horn professor Dr. Karen Robertson of Appalachian State University and she thought it was fine when I wrote solo music for her back in the day. She is the one who taught me to start 2 octaves below. I like rips to look like either a squiggly thing or a line between the notes, but anyways. The players knew what to do and this is how I’ve seen them played on trumpets also, and the trumpet professors knew what to do with them also. Thank you for your comments. I am going to ask them again though to see if they have changed their minds.

I do have rehearsal numbers which are at the important parts of the score, and that’s how they look in printed scores. This is the score that a conductor uses to rehearse the group so they can play a live performance. Rehearsal numbers are a must. As a conductor myself, I placed the rehearsal numbers where I knew others would say, “Let’s start pick-ups to 29.”

Thank you for your comments. I hoped that I read them correctly. If not, let me know.
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    I know nothing about scores,...
    but you have nine measures on the first page
    so the first measure on the second page should be 10, not nine.

Dan
    Thank you for stopping by Dan, but you don't count the pick-ups as a measure.
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    East Asia.

I'm hearing a gong or gong-like large cymbal--correct? You might want to specify that and the kind of mallets in the score.
    It's a tam tam written in the score, and the performers know to use the large mallet for that beast, as well as the bass drum, since it's mostly "loud boomy hits." (That's the technical term right? LOl.) Thank you for commenting again and your suggestion.
    ~Rod

ok...............

Go Back to forum