• Register
  • Help

Topic: so far thoughts on Kontakt

Share/Bookmark

so far thoughts on Kontakt

I dig lots! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

certain things in giga are better, the streaming engine in giga seams more stable and optimized as well. Then again it could be that all of Kontakt\'s cool features jsut require some more CPU and this changes the timing regarding streaming.

Having it all in VSTi is quite nice tho, but seeing that the coolest aspect is rendering offline IN your sequencer is one of my favorite aspects, it doesn\'t matter much once you go to multiple machine setups...even with system link.

Definitely a tweaker\'s heaven tho [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: so far thoughts on Kontakt

Originally posted by KingIdiot:

certain things in giga are better, the streaming engine in giga seams more stable and optimized as well. Then again it could be that all of Kontakt\'s cool features jsut require some more CPU and this changes the timing regarding streaming.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I thought the streaming in Kontakt didn\'t even work properly right now..

See next message...

Originally posted by Hasen:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by KingIdiot:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I thought the streaming in Kontakt didn\'t even work properly right now.. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Works great on my rig.Though there are problems depending on your setup and how dedicated your system is to just audio.Go to the NI forum right now for more details...
    King , VOTA just arrived today..have u check how the Import/utility works ?Can it be done? Need your help... Rich

I just thought it unfair to compare Kontakt\'s ability to stream with Giga\'s when for most people its not even working at all really. At best it works, but compared with what it should be ie like with the QLSO Kompakt engine, it should hammer Giga\'s streaming capability into the ground. The Kontakt streaming engine is supposed to be updated to match the Kompakt engine soon.

Hasen,

Don\'t you think it\'s a bit unfair to say it doesn\'t work for most people?

Granted, Kontakt in its current version have issues that needs to be fixed (where is that promised update BTW...), but given that DFD is a version 1.0 product I think it\'s really good. I use it daily (including the DFD extension) in my studio as well as in my live rig.

/Mattias

It works.Just not everyones system is set up for it properly.Its the GIGA import that dosent work!! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

wheres that damb update..Rich

So you\'re saying that when DFD is switched on the performance is just as good as when its off? I didn\'t say it didn\'t work, i said it didn\'t work well. Even if you _do_ have it working that well, its still not gonna be as good as the Kompakt engine...yet.

No, I\'m not saying it\'s as good as RAM-based playback, in fact it will probably never be... At least not with the technology used in hard disks today. What I\'m saying is that for me the streaming part of Kontakt works good enough to be heavily used. Not all parts of DFD are good though. It fails when doing off-line mixdowns as an example, but for playback I find it good. I realize there are lots of things to improve regarding both performance as well as functionality. Hopefully that\'s what they are doing right now.

/Mattias

I can get better streaming performance than giga with higher than giga RAM buffers.

with about giga size ram buffers performance gets aroudn the same or jsut a little better than giga. (100 stereo voices)

Giga\'s streaming engine seems much more optimized I believe (probably because of things like the serialized/sequenced file indexing i in one BIG file, rather than referenced wave files, and just general optimizing)

It does work however, and quite good.

I do like its MIDI control features better than giga, and its filters in general. However it dimension setup isn\'t as cool in some ways, and way better in others.

definitely a good softsampler, blows giga away in some areas and still needs to play catch-up in others. Here\'s to Giga 3.0 and Kontakt 2.0 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum