• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What controller are you using??

Share/Bookmark

What controller are you using??

I\'m searching for an 88 key controller with enough knobs for doing trance/pop/orchestral, well basically everything, any suggestions?

Re: What controller are you using??

Originally posted by Donald_Duck:
    I\'m searching for an 88 key controller with enough knobs for doing trance/pop/orchestral, well basically everything, any suggestions?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So was I but I don\'t think they exist. In the end I got a Studiologic 990 Pro and an Edirol PCR-30. The 990 has 88 keys, is cheap and feels very much like a half decent piano. The PCR has the knobs and sliders, is cheap and feels very much like a little synth.

I\'m not aware of an all in one either. I have a Roland A-37, 76 note controller and this;

http://www.evolution.co.uk/moreinfo/hardware/uc33.htm

Cheers, Scott.

Kurzweil K2500Xs and K2600Xs have 9 assignable sliders, two ribbon controllers (a large one + a small one underneath the mod and pitch wheels), some switches, breath controller inputs...and it\'s a very useful synth. The keyboard mechanism is a weighted Fatar model that\'s not bad.

(I still miss the K250\'s feel, but I don\'t miss taking the sucker in for repair twice a year.)

I use Yamaha S80 & PhatBoy.
    They work fine for me.

i have to agree with Nick. I have a 2500x and a brand new 2600S. The small ribbon makes a great controllable vibrato, plus adds pressure for \'lipping\' a VL-70m or VL-1. Virtually EVERYTHING is reassignable to control setups, so you can have different ones for Giga, a VL-70, GM, etc.

Only real problems: expensive, heavy, and I don\'t like a lot of the sounds - but I got mine primarily as a controller for the studio, and for that I love it...

BTW, the 2600S gives me all I need, so I no longer need the 2500X, and will be putting it up on eBay unless I get an offer elsewhere...

Dasher

StudioLogic SL-1100 midi-controller. It works great! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Gary

My favourite controller of all time is the Roland A-90. Only four sliders but lots of pedal (switch and exp) inputs, great feel, 2 wheel controllers plus a joystick and extremely user friendly editing of parameters.

Everything is freely (and quickly) assignable, I can\'t recommend this board highly enough.

It has a breath controller input as well.

Hope this helps,
    Crispin

Thank you all very much for your replies, in the end i think i\'m going with Marsdy\'s setup, i have a korg triton studio ( i\'m selling it because there\'s a bunch of stuff there i don\'t need ) and i\'m going to concentrate on software based stuff, the korg triton studio uses a fatar keyboard, same as studio logic, so i think i\'ll go with the studio logig controller since i assume the key action will feel familiar to me; and one of those little $200-300 controllers with lots of knobs, like the edirol marsdy mentioned ( looks pretty good ) or a u-control, there are many options for the small controllers.

That Evolution controller looks like a bad boy! Also look into the Kurzweil Expressionmate - I use that one coupled with a Roland A30...the Expressionmate will let you re-map lots of controllers on the fly, re-map velocity curves for better matching with libraries, foot pedal, breath controller input, 3 zones on the ribbon (included), MIDI merge 2 inputs, ARP, and much more. Sometimes easier using a ribbon and breath control on wind and brass libraries than with a fader, or drawing controllers on the screen with your sequencer.

Best wishes from Lex, Kev

Go Back to forum