• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mid - track changes?

Share/Bookmark

Mid - track changes?

Hi All - Just wondering if it is possible, when recording MIDI, to have an assigned instrument change to a different one (automatically) in the middle of the same track? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Am using GPO 4 in REAPER)

Re: Mid - track changes?

Quote Originally Posted by JackOats View Post
    Hi All - Just wondering if it is possible, when recording MIDI, to have an assigned instrument change to a different one (automatically) in the middle of the same track? Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks.

(Am using GPO 4 in REAPER)
    Hi, Jack

When you're using pure synths, not sampled instruments, you can insert Program Changes in a track that will instantly switch to a new instrument/sound. But when you're using samples, like Garritan instruments, that doesn't work. Even if ARIA would respond to a Program Change command, which it doesn't, the process wouldn't work because all the samples would have to first load before the new instrument could be played.

It is possible to have data from different MIDI channels on one MIDI track. ARIA instrument 1 that you have loaded on MIDI channel 1 could be playing, and then if the data changes to MIDI channel 2, whatever you have loaded in ARIA which is set to MIDI channel 2 would start playing.

But there's no need to do that. Simply use multiple MIDI tracks - that's the way it works.

I think perhaps you're thinking what you want to do is somehow necessary, but I can't think of a scenario where that would be helpful.

Do you see?

Randy

Hello again Randy - Many thanks for the message.

My main concern is that I have used up all of the tracks on ARIA.
    I have 16 instruments loaded & I need room for more individual instruments.

Have experimented a little with Multi-Channel recording (thanks for pointing me in that direction) & have recorded several takes (using different instruments) on the same track but can only seem to get one instrument to play back all takes - even when exploded. I'm obviously missing something!

Would you be able to use the ARIA player as a VST; then load ARIA multiple times as VSTs to have unlimited tracks/intruments??

Jack, SecondSelf has basically pointed out your misunderstanding. You're using Reaper, so you're already using the VST of ARIA. What you're not getting is that you can load multiple instances of ARIA. You can load as many as your computer can handle. It's not uncommon to have projects with 2, 3, 4-10--However many instances are needed. Each instance is starting fresh - You load more instruments in the fresh copies of ARIA, and each instance has its own discrete set of MIDI channels. MIDI channel 1 of the first instance is only for that instance - The second ARIA instance has MIDI channels 1-16 which are totally separate from those in the first instance.

So - that's why you don't need to worry about program changes. Keep loading ARIAs and instruments until your computer chokes!

It's much easier to keep each MIDI track to data for just one channel. Stick with that, and multiple ARIAs and you should get what you want.

Randy

O.K. Thanks very much for that Randy (& SecondSelf) I'll give it a try.

The way I'm doing things is I have the project's first track - #1, designated as a VST Folder & I send all subsequent tracks to this folder.

When I start a second instance of ARIA do I repeat this set up - designate the new track #1 as a VST Folder for that particular instance of ARIA & just keep adding tracks to the project in question?

O.K. Thanks very much for that Randy (& SecondSelf) I'll give it a try.

The way I'm doing things is I have the project's first track - #1, designated as a VST Folder & I send all subsequent tracks to this folder.

When I start a second instance of ARIA do I repeat this set up - designate the new track #1 as a VST Folder for that particular instance of ARIA & just keep adding tracks to the project in question?
    Hi, Jack - Folders - I don't use Reaper, but that sounds like it's probably like a Sonar feature I don't use, where to save screen space, you put tracks into a folder. Hmm, for now it may more straight forward and less confusing if you can just have all the tracks you need hanging out in your work area, without using folders - if that's an option. To plainly see all the tracks you're using sure makes things clear, with nothing hidden.

But, yes, sounds like you just start a new folder for each instance of ARIA. When you start having more than one ARIA, Reaper will automatically label it in some way, ARIA 2, 3 etc., something like that, so you can keep straight what tracks are connected to what instance of ARIA.

However it works in Reaper, you really do need to branch out and start using as many instruments as you want. No need to limit yourself to just 16 instruments!

Randy

to save screen space, you put tracks into a folder. Hmm, for now it may more straight forward and less confusing if you can just have all the tracks you need hanging out in your work area, without using folders - if that's an option. To plainly see all the tracks you're using sure makes things clear, with nothing hidden.
    This was a method suggested to me on the REAPER forum. A really helpful guy sent me a template with some tracks all set up which is what I am using.
    Track #1 is just a track (he named it 'VST Folder' to help me understand how he organised the routing) and, as you suggest, tracks 2 thru' 16 are all on view below showing the instruments installed. Seems to work O.K. so I'm just going with it & hoping to understand as I go along! I guess Track 1 sends all info to ARIA.

When you start having more than one ARIA, Reaper will automatically label it in some way, ARIA 2, 3 etc., something like that, so you can keep straight what tracks are connected to what instance of ARIA.
    This is just what I needed. So that there is no confusion between the various instances of ARIA.

Many thanks yet again Randy - Really appreciate your help.

...I guess Track 1 sends all info to ARIA...
    Hello again, Jack - Now I'm wondering if Reaper is using what Sonar calls "simple instrument tracks" - another feature I don't care for and don't use. Those are like folders, you deal with one track for both MIDI going to a synth, and Audio coming from a synth. But if you want to display the MIDI track and maybe do editing on it in the Track View, those two tracks have to be separated. I'm wondering if Reaper is doing the same thing.

I have all my MIDI tracks visible, and the companion Audio tracks also. That's 32 tracks total for each instance of ARIA. It's not a problem though, because tracks can be hidden or displayed as needed. As I get closer to finishing a project, I hide all but the final mixed down audio tracks so eveything fits fine on the screen.

But back to the "simple instrument" concept - Over and over at the Sonar Forum I've seen newcomers be confused by them, because they don't get a concept of what's happening. Once they get their MIDI tracks and Audio tracks displayed separately, it's more clear to them how MIDI works and what's going on in their project files.

I pulled that one quote out from you because it sounds like you're not sure of the nature of that track. MIDI track 1, set to MIDI channel 1 should be connected to whatever instrument you have on MIDI channel 1 in ARIA. It doesn't have to be in the first ARIA slot, but by default it is, and that keeps things simpler.

But it's not as if your entire project data is going to be on that one track - that's just MIDI channel 1. --You do mention that you get what I'm saying about having all your tracks displayed to keep things straight, so you're probably OK, but that quote wasn't clear--.

Randy

Go Back to forum