• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Topic: GigaStudio unstable?

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    GigaStudio unstable?

    I started working with GigaStudio now and immediate resonse was \'wow\'. However I can rarely get above 90 voices without note-stealing and clicks. I have a P3-700 and use two HD\'s for samples to help GStudio on the way: a 40GB Maxtor 7200 RPM IDE (fastest IDE HD today), running ATA-66, and an UW SCSI IBM. I\'ve tried optimizing here and there without any real improvement.
    However the thing that bothers me the most is that GSampler was rock-stable, Gstudio doesn\'t seem to be. It has crashed on me about 3 times in 2 hours now with the same MSG32 (or something) message each time.
    Am I the only one experiencing instability from GStudio and does Nemesys know about any bugs that could cause this? I am suspecting a combination of old converted samples that can cause instability and maybe when you begin maxing out GStudio\'s performance. I didn\'t experience any crashes until I did some heavy arrangements with some 140 voices probably running along.

    Regards,
    Simon

  2. #2

    Re: GigaStudio unstable?

    Hi Simon,

    No, your not the only one with the same feeling... GigaSampler is much more stable than GigaStudio ( for sure on my system config... ).

    I was running GigaSampler with Emagic Logic Audio with no problem at all. After installing GigaStudio, nothing work at all. The new Nemesys midi drivers seems not to work with Logic anymore (..

    I think I\'ll go back to GigaSampler \'till Nemesys fix their bugs...



    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    I started working with GigaStudio now and immediate resonse was \'wow\'. However I can rarely get above 90 voices without note-stealing and clicks. I have a P3-700 and use two HD\'s for samples to help GStudio on the way: a 40GB Maxtor 7200 RPM IDE (fastest IDE HD today), running ATA-66, and an UW SCSI IBM. I\'ve tried optimizing here and there without any real improvement.
    However the thing that bothers me the most is that GSampler was rock-stable, Gstudio doesn\'t seem to be. It has crashed on me about 3 times in 2 hours now with the same MSG32 (or something) message each time.
    Am I the only one experiencing instability from GStudio and does Nemesys know about any bugs that could cause this? I am suspecting a combination of old converted samples that can cause instability and maybe when you begin maxing out GStudio\'s performance. I didn\'t experience any crashes until I did some heavy arrangements with some 140 voices probably running along.

    Regards,
    Simon
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


  3. #3

    Re: GigaStudio unstable?

    I too get those pops and klicks, well before my voices max out however. With my PII400 and baracuder this still happens.Especially with my Gigapiano.

    So disappointed

    Nemesys must fix this.

  4. #4

    Re: GigaStudio unstable?

    If the problem is solely Nemesys\', why am I not experiencing the same problems. I have a Dell Pentium II 450 with 256 meg ram. I have 2 Maxtor hard drives - a 13 meg 5400 and a 30 meg 7200. I even have them hooked up backwards. I am using the 30 meg for my programs and the 13 meg for gigs. I run Norton antivirus and too many other programs in the background. I use Finale 2000 and Cakewalk 9.03. I have an EMU-APS card which is not GSIF. I get 158 voices, no pops and clicks, and I rarely crash.

    My point is if the software is full of bugs, why wouldn\'t everybody be having the same problems? I did have dropout problems with Cakewalk until I read on this forum to archive my audio files that I wasn\'t using instead of just muting them. Now, I rarely get a dropout.

    Terry

  5. #5

    Re: GigaStudio unstable?

    With my new Maxtor 40 gig 7200, I was happily playing Trachtman\'s Steinway C 2 gig with 90 voices without any pops and clicks. Today however, I\'d be very lucky to even have gigastudio started. If I get gigastudio started, I could only play 40 or less voice, otherwise I\'ll get pops and clicks. Nothing at all was changed. What\'s going on here? I\'m thinking of going back to gigasampler until they have fixes up.

  6. #6

    Re: GigaStudio unstable?

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Terry:
    I did have dropout problems with Cakewalk until I read on this forum to archive my audio files that I wasn\'t using instead of just muting them. Now, I rarely get a dropout.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Huh? I wonder if the same thing will work with Cubase. I\'ll have to experiment.

    Lawrence

  7. #7

    Re: GigaStudio unstable?

    The fact that everybody aren\'t experiencing a lot of crashes doesn\'t mean the program can\'t be buggy. A lot of things could casue those crashes, but still be caused by bugs in Gigastudio. E.g. if some instruments converted with Gigasampler\'s S-Convert (which seemed a lot better than GStudios....) gives GStudio trouble. I know of a couple of instruments that simply causes GStudio to crash which worked fine with GSampler - so why not some samples which causes GStudio to crash SOMETIMES when hitting a specific sample/specific controller change on that sample or WHATEVER. My point is that GStudio probably has some internal \'problemsolver\' that catches most of the problems that could cause crashes, but it just doesn\'t seem to catch enough.
    The polyphony thing... I can get 100 voices with the Steinway piano alone. But if I start using 32 midichannels with different samples allover I can\'t get above 80 or something and things start sounding really strange. And I have fast harddrives. I\'ll probably buy another UW SCSI drive at some time and I certainly hope that\'ll cure the problem, because I was trying to get away from Gigasampler because I couldn\'t really hear what I was composing due to the 64 voice limit, only to find the limit almost the same on GigaStudio. A reinstall of Windows might be on the way too. I\'ll have to try a few things. I just don\'t like to reinstall all my software, setup all configurations againg etc. It\'s hell and shouldn\'t be necessary for getting a piece of software working.

    Simon

  8. #8

    Re: GigaStudio unstable?

    Simon,

    I don\'t have any converted files, and maybe that is why so many people are experiencing crashes. I use AO and Ultimate Orchestral Percussion and others I got from Worra\'s site. I also only use 16 channels of midi. But, I am able to hear a full orchestra and you are right - it is nice to be able to hear all parts at once.

    Terry


  9. #9

    Re: GigaStudio unstable?

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    A reinstall of Windows might be on the way too.

    Don\'t. I\'ve tried. Twice. Didn\'t help at all.


  10. #10

    Re: GigaStudio unstable?

    I knew this was going to happen to everyone
    That\'s why I didn\'t upgrade to Giga Studio
    Listen to the general theme
    People with 500 to 700 ghz and massive hard drives and ample memory
    good sound cards
    etc etc
    And why are we talking to each other about this delima?
    Because who else can we easily contact?

Go Back to forum

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •