• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone Using GrooveAgent to play drum samples?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone Using GrooveAgent to play drum samples?

From what I gather, the patterns in Groove Agent can use external drum samples. Is anyone doing this who could post some results?

Re: Anyone Using GrooveAgent to play drum samples?

Hi there,

Yes, Groove Agent can trigger external MIDI & VST\'i sound sources, but may not work properly with all VSTi hosts because it\'s using somewhat advanced functionality of the VST protocol that not everyone support.

Cubase and Nuendo work fine, but I think others have reported problems. The best you can do is download the demo and try out on your machine.

In closing, if you DO have Cubase or Nuendo (and can take full advantage of GA) then you MUST buy it ! The \"midi-printing\" feature is fantastic, and is a gift from above to us non-drummers. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Magnus

Originally posted by MagnusTh:
    Hi there,

In closing, if you DO have Cubase or Nuendo (and can take full advantage of GA) then you MUST buy it ! The \"midi-printing\" feature is fantastic, and is a gift from above to us non-drummers. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Magnus
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hiya Magnus, could you elaborate a little more on the \"midi-printing\" please??? I have read reviews of Groove Agent but so far haven\'t come across that term before... Thanks!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jun - aka meeehoon

Here\'s a gppd forum if you want to get a feel for wjat others are doing:

http://vg.clubcubase.net/vgforum/index.php

There is a user in the above forum who did a demo with GA playing Drumkit From Hell...it\'s quite realisic:

ttp://www.soundclick.com/bands/3/michaelhowellmusic.htm

I use SX, and Groove Agent works great as a \"controller\" with GM type drums, namely Purrrfect Drums and the GM kit in my Yammy P250.

As someone mentioned, this is not 100% supported. Steinberg even said that you couldn\'t do it, but as soon as it came out, we quickly found out you could in fact do it as long as you\'re using Cubase or Nuendo. Users of other sequencers have reported assorted problems.

The \"midi printing\" means the ability to write midi information for use with various soound sources.

The midi-printing think is cool cause u can them play around and tweek the groove extencivly.GA is great for retro/groove and sounds BTW.I think thats its main strength.Its kinda cheezey i find but way more versatile than i thought,.Just my 2 cents fro what its worth..Rich

Originally posted by meeehoon:
    Hiya Magnus, could you elaborate a little more on the \"midi-printing\" please??? I have read reviews of Groove Agent but so far haven\'t come across that term before... Thanks!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jun - aka meeehoon
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, as someone said - midi-printing is the the option of having every note played by Groove Agent in the grooves, written to a midi-track. This way you can fool around like you want with the normal controls, and then go into tweaking it as far as you like - unlimited control.

This isn\'t some earth shaking advanced feature, but funny though - I haven\'t seen it in a VSTi before, and not implemented togeather with a virtual drummachine in this simple but genious way. This alone gives you full control, and makes the value of GA a LOT higher.

The grooves are played with a good \"live\" feeling and make an excellent foundation for further drum programming if you have the midi-print possibilities.

The GA forums (link posted above) have a quite negative atmosphere right now (not something I feel the product itself deserves) and I hope they solve the various tech problems for other hosts / wrappers because it\'s an excellent product.

Anyway, try the demo. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Magnus

I know the Midi-printing isnt earth shatering but it is really cool cause u can see how fills etc are layed out.I love Stylus but i kinda wish it had this midi printing feature instead of having to import a midi file and then find the exact loop point.Just lazy i guess. Rich

I don\'t know anything about GA, but the midi printing thing sounds a lot like what Slicy Drummer does. Basically you can load a loop from a big list of presets, or create your own. (Just midi triggers.. no audio). Then you can change individual notes, add new perc. instruments, etc.. Then, if you want, drag the loop to a midi track. (Or you can just have it play through Slicy).

FxPansion has a new VST plug called BFD coming out. See here for details web page
    Sounds like it could be a Groove Agent killer.

Originally posted by Hamilton:
    FxPansion has a new VST plug called BFD coming out. See here for details web page
    Sounds like it could be a Groove Agent killer.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That does look really good.one thing i find GA sucks at is heavy sounds.The Bonzo setting is just kinda a fraction of waht really heavy drumers do.But when is this BFD coming out.It doesnt mention..Rich

Go Back to forum