• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: When the worst happens - a hard drive question

Share/Bookmark

When the worst happens - a hard drive question

So, earlier today my main machine is acting up on me and getting me worried. Just simple stuff, running extraordinarily slow doing simple things, I didn\'t even bother to run anything close to a sound app (I mean, 20secs to load a 45k jpg into the viewer is just a little ridiculous...).

So there I am later that night, and after a few reboots, etc, everything thing suddenly starts running great again. It is only later that I realize my data drive is not showing up. After some cable swapping, IDE channel testing, drive swapping (and a few other basic tests) I am certain this drive is pretty much foobar.

So here\'s the question. When it REALLY matters, who do you take a messed up drive to in order to attempt a recovery of some sort? Are there even any options like that? Bottom line: all my eggs were still in that 80GB Maxtor basket. I have a new uninstalled DVD burner that\'s been sitting here for only about 3 days, and the first thing I intended to do with it was backup my main data drive. Well, seems like I just barely missed that boat and hit the water flailing.

All my compositions/waves/midi-data/templates ... you name it. Everything that is MOST important to a sample-based composer was on this one drive. You get the idea. Surprisingly, I\'m not even upset... yet. Guess it hasn\'t sunk in.

I know some of you have faced this before, so if you wouldn\'t mind, please lend me the benefit of your own experience. I\'d like to find a way to recover, duplicate, then maybe triplicate as much of the data as can be saved.

...or set the drive ablaze and hex Maxtor with the kind of curse that\'d make the devil himself tear up with pride. Maybe I\'m angry after all...

Thanks,
    mike

Re: When the worst happens - a hard drive question

I hexed Western Digital for the same type of problem a few months ago...I had a 60gig drive die with no warning whatsoever. Unfortunately, drive data recovery services are ludicrously expensive, and there\'s nothing you can do from your end to retrieve the data if it\'s a hardware failure. So you can either suck it up and start over or pay $500 (I think that\'s per gig, but you might want to make some calls) and up to a retrieval company.
    What really sucks is that the hard drive companies are making cheaper and cheaper drives these days to save money and are cutting their warranty periods to boot. Average used to be 3 years, but in the past 12 months, all the major manufacturers have dropped their coverage to only 1 year warranties. I know the warranty doesn\'t help as far as data goes, but I just felt like ranting.
    Bottomline? It\'s up to us to back up the drives before stuff like this happens, cause the drives themselves are now being manufactured as a disposable product we can longer trust like we used to.
    -Hudson

Send it to Lazarus. They specialize in data recovery and a have a high success rate.

Good luck,
    Rick

Lazarus

Hard drives are relatively inexpensive these days, so it is no financial hardship to have several sitting around. Firewire hard drives are very convenient for quickly and easily backing up critical data. Having a few extra firewire drives sitting around for this purpose should never be skimped on. DVD backup is also very good, but not nearly as quick and convenient as a hard drive.

It is also a good idea to store these hard drives with your backup information in a fire-proof safe, and for your work that is really important to your business and would be devastating to loose, I would make two DVD copies of all necessary data and store those in a safety deposit box at the bank.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

One tip that may prove helpful is to put the drive in a freezer for a bit then try reading it. You won\'t have much time to search and copy your data before it warms up, but you may be able to grab your templates. Good luck.

Steve Chandler
    http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler

Originally posted by Bardstown Audio:
    Hard drives are relatively inexpensive these days, so it is no financial hardship to have several sitting around. Firewire hard drives are very convenient for quickly and easily backing up critical data. Having a few extra firewire drives sitting around for this purpose should never be skimped on. DVD backup is also very good, but not nearly as quick and convenient as a hard drive.

It is also a good idea to store these hard drives with your backup information in a fire-proof safe, and for your work that is really important to your business and would be devastating to loose, I would make two DVD copies of all necessary data and store those in a safety deposit box at the bank.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Fireproof safe is nice.... but what temperature will the safe get up to inside in a full out fire for 10-15 minutes? THIS is what you need to consider. Hate for someone to get a false sense of security with these things. You\'re better off with offsite storage.

Devon

The drive apears during the bios startup?

There is one last thing that you might try, if you have luck. Most of the times, the problem is only in the electronics board. If you find a disk of the same model as yours, you can try to swap the electronics board...

Is it the drive with your OS on it?

I replaced a hard drive that I thought was faulty. A few weeks later I put the old \'faulty\' drive into another computer and I reloaded its operating system. I did not wipe or delete the first installation. I loaded it a second time (W2K) and everything I thought I lost on the drive was there.

Perhaps your OS needs to be installed anew. Maybe one part of your drive is corrupted and by installing a second version of your OS you may get it to work again and find all your programs.

At times the drive is still seen by the OS, but it doesn\'t show its content. If this happens, try Easy Recovery Prof. Edition. On one occasion I could recover more than 80% of the original content. Of course it needs individual renaming of each recovered file, but this will be most acceptable anyhow.

Good luck,

Giorgio

Thanks for the tips, I think there\'s something about learning the hard way... hell, if there\'s another way to learn I haven\'t figured it out yet. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'ll check out Lazarus after I\'ve tried a few more things, thanks for directing me to it. Really, I can\'t put a $$$ figure on what this information is worth to me. Whatever it costs, I don\'t have much of a choice.

This isn\'t an OS drive, and it isn\'t showing up in Bios at all anymore. In fact, if I plug the drive in (to the secondary IDE channel) the primary IDE drive stops showing up, and the computer gives me a disk error on boot. I tried another drive on the secondary IDE, and it works, with the OS drive on primary still showing up. So it\'s probably not the mobo. (I wish it was...)

Swapping the board in the drive sounds like dangerous business, but I\'m tempted to consider it. The only thing that will probably prevent me from trying that seriously is the simple fact that this is my only copy, and at this point, it\'s better safe than sorry, even if it costs $1k or more. These HD recovery places are making KILLINGS, but I understand why... supply/demand, and this kind of demand is a killer.

It is time to buy backup. I will get this data back at some point (I hope) and will have at least 2 drives set aside for backup. I also like the idea of burning the DVDs and storing them at my bank. That would have sounded a bit extreme to me if I\'d heard that suggested a day ago, but life is funny like that with change.

Thanks again for the insights, I\'ll be making use of them to be sure. If anyone thinks of more, believe me I\'m watching. I hope that those here like me, without backup, take warning. It CAN happen to you, and completley without warning of any kind. I like Maxtor, always did. I had a bad electrical situation once upon a time, and every time a drive had trouble, they replaced it wihtout question, and more than promptly. But I think I will be switching brands at this point. I\'ve heard too many horror stories, and with all the drives I have gone through over the years, this is just gunna be a final straw thing.

Thanks,
    mike

Go Back to forum