• Register
  • Help

Topic: Verb, Verbs,Verbs.

Share/Bookmark

Verb, Verbs,Verbs.

I've been researching the current crop of reverb effects and am sharing my results.

Convolution Reverbs.

These are the ones that are created from actual acoustic places.

In order of price.

1. VSL Vienna Suite $611. The most expensive here but you do get a number of things. EQ,PowerPan-Limiter, Compressor-Multiband Limiter, Master EQ, Analyzer-Convolution Reverb-Hybrid Reverb.

From what I can gather the Hybid Reverb is a cross between traditional studio reverb and convolution reverb to give you the best of both worlds. Synchrosoft key Copy Protection.

2. Altiverb 7-Audio Ease. $529. The original professional cadillac of convolution reverbs. They have also integrated digital studio reverb with convolution for a more complete package. iLock Copy Protection.

3. Spaces- EastWest Quantum Leap. $300. A easy to use although a less feature packed reverb. Reviews acknowledge it's limitations but say it really makes virtual instruments come alive with their own space. iLok Copy Protection. DEMO

4. Waves IR 1 $250. A solid convolution reverb that could be getting a little long in the tooth but I thought I would still mention it as it's worth checking out.

5. Reflektor-Native Instruments $119. An inexpensive basic but good convolution reverb. Demo

6. Reverberate-Liquid Sonics $97. Check this one out before going for Reflektor. DEMO

Digital Reverbs.

1. Lexicon MPX $200. Lexicon's entry level plug-in studio reverb. Not a bad price considering their best hardware unit costs $3000 and it's plug-in version is $1500. Lexicon is the professional studio standard. iLok Copy Protection

2. CSR-IK Multimedia $100 . Before you buy the Lexicon MPX check out this one. It has bested it in forum listening surveys. Demo

This is what I've come up with so far. Comments?

Re: Verb, Verbs,Verbs.

I'm a IK CSR (Hall) user. It's a very effective one, better with a little preset tweakening (sometimes there's to much modulation in it). It's worth to have a look/listen to.
    And IK recently lowered the price to 79 euros for the four pieces suite (plate, room, hall and reverse).
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

What about SIR2 convolution reverb?

Mike Senior gave it a good review and apparently calls it his "first call".
    It can load standard IRs and HDIRs so can emulate many real spaces where these have been recorded.
    It's about $150. Where SIR1, I believe, is free.
    It can be found here: http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir2.php

Any thoughts?

Regards,
    John.

Good round up of convo verbs - Glad S.I.R was added to the list. The original free one which I still have on my hard drive was dandy, got the job done. And of course we now have access to convos in ARIA - no controls really, but at least the impulse responses are available, and the ones that come with it are good ones.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    I'm a IK CSR (Hall) user. It's a very effective one, better with a little preset tweakening (sometimes there's to much modulation in it). It's worth to have a look/listen to.
    And IK recently lowered the price to 79 euros for the four pieces suite (plate, room, hall and reverse).
    Good to hear you use and like IK CSR Fabio. I also use IK CSR and have since it first came out. I noticed that recently reduced the price. It use to require a dongle but IK Multimedia made a smart decision to do away with dongles.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    And of course we now have access to convos in ARIA - no controls really, but at least the impulse responses are available, and the ones that come with it are good ones.

Randy
    Randy,

I never have been able to get Ambience or Convolution to work in Aria. Do I need to do something to hear reverb besides turn on the button and select a reverb effect?

OSX 10.7.5

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Randy,

I never have been able to get Ambience or Convolution to work in Aria. Do I need to do something to hear reverb besides turn on the button and select a reverb effect?

OSX 10.7.5

Phil
    Also turning up the Send knob for the instrument on ARIA's Mixer page?

A little reminder of the SIR2 GUI:

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Randy,
    Phil
    Oh! That's too bad you've never had that working, Phil -but Chad has you covered there. The Mixer tab on ARIA brings up the mixer, and it has the basic controls of all mixers: Volume slider, Mute/Solo, Pan pot, and FX Send. Just like on hardware mixers, or software mixers in DAW programs, you turn the Sends up for the amount of reverb you want. Having all that available in ARIA is especially useful for notation users. They can get more sophistication in their mixes with the Send pots, rather than just having one level of reverb for all instruments in a piece.

Check out that ARIA Convolution - you'll be impressed!

Randy

Thanks Chad and Randy.

I think the Traditional Symphonic Concert Hall is pretty close to what I usually go with in IK CSR.

I like mixing in the verb on an audio aux buss in my DAW but it's a great feature to have it right in the player and with pro quality.

Phil

Go Back to forum