• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New recorder demo

Share/Bookmark

New recorder demo

Hi all, I\'ve just finished rough mixing of an recorder arrangement of one of my organ choral prelude. It\'s a choral prelude to the hymn \"Nearer my God to Thee\", some may remember me posting an mp3 of a new harmonization and discant for the same hymn the other day.

I would like to hear some critics/comments about the mixing, reverb, midi programming etc.

Btw. The recorders are from Primesounds (Worra), these are beta versions! The double-bass pizz. is an soundfont.

Also, the pops and clicks are because of my bad computer and soundblaster live.

So here\'s the link: http://www.honnun.com/mp3/nearerRecorders.mp3

Re: New recorder demo

Interesting sound, nice arrangement. The reverb seems a bit much in the beginning, and I really don\'t care for the bazz pizz soundfont-too artifical to my ears, but the recorders have a warmth that I like (but get shrill at 1:10.) Mix is good except the bass could be louder (if it were a good bass sound...)

Nice demo for the recorder betas.

Dasher

Funny, how the clicks and pops are in the same hall. Sounds like these guys are hitting their recorders on the music sheets, when they have no part to play *lol*

The recorders have a nice note to note action and I bet Worra hasn\'t got a legato tool. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I too didn\'t like the sound of the full powered high notes at 1.10 . Is that you hitting velocity 127 on the keys or are these notes sampled so loud?
    If the harshness can be fixed then I must say that I\'m very interested in this library.

Bravo for now.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    The recorders have a nice note to note action and I bet Worra hasn\'t got a legato tool. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I too didn\'t like the sound of the full powered high notes at 1.10 . Is that you hitting velocity 127 on the keys or are these notes sampled so loud?
    If the harshness can be fixed then I must say that I\'m very interested in this library.

Bravo for now.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Some words about this and the upcoming Recorder Library.
    The one that Falcon used on the demos is samples that are I\'ve made for Primesounds, and they will be published there shortly.
    Falcon has helped me with the betatesting and also with the making on some demos, (as you all know, we need all the help we can get here... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

In the Primesound collection there will be 4 recorders. Alt, Tenor, Sopran & Sopranini. All flutes sampled in thirds (C, D#, F#, A) and all having separate non-vibrato/vibrato patches, special legato patch and stacatto patch.

There will also be a Bigga Giggas release with recorders.
    These samples are from another session, using the same player and layout, but this time with all notes sampled and also included a bass flute.
    These versions also have both a close miked mono version and a stereo ambient version so you can choose or mix to your liking.
    Releasedate not set yet, but probably in a couple of months.

Hi all, and thanks for the good words. Maybe too kind? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thesoundsmith - I too, don\'t like the double-bass pizz soundfont, but unfortunatly I don\'t have better option available.

£e petit Prïnçe - Strange nick man [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . True, they are having such a blast that they hate when they need to stop. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Alexcremers - [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] No, there are no legato tool. Regarding the 1:10 \"harshness\", I may have gone little overboard with volume envelopes. However, I think it reflects somewhat the difficulty for real recorder players (sopranino specially) to dance on the thin line between great sound and too \"in your face\" sound.

Anyway, I\'m glad how well my little demo is generally received here on this tough forum.

Thank you all guys (and girls of course!). [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

What is this loud click you hear at the background?

Luigi, it\'s the motor in my great soundblaster live. I think. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Worra,

You never mention the dynamic range for the sampled recorders so I presume there aren\'t any. Am I right? If so, is there a reason behind this approach?

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Worra,

You never mention the dynamic range for the sampled recorders so I presume there aren\'t any. Am I right? If so, is there a reason behind this approach?

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The recorder is what freely translated from Swedish is called a \"chamber instrument\".
    The dynamics doesn\'t change the timbre that much.
    I\'ve discussed this with servera recorder players, and they all have agreed this is the case.

Go Back to forum