• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: BiaB/Garritan Exercises: Episode 2

Share/Bookmark

BiaB/Garritan Exercises: Episode 2

To make things simpler, I have posted this to BOX.com and will give you the link to continue this tutorial. This second episode deals with the setup procedure I use to get my DAW (Sonar X1) set to begin the mixing process. It contains a lot of pictures and I didn't want to spend the time getting them into the format of this forum's engine (which is tedious.)

This link takes you to a downloadable word doc and when I get a chance, I will also include a link to a pdf of the same document.

Enjoy and I look forward to your comments or questions.

Best Regards,
    Bill

LINK to DOC of EPISODE 2

LINK to PDF of EPISODE 2
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: BiaB/Garritan Exercises: Episode 2

Wow - Fancy tute! It's an excellent idea to make this a downloadable doc which looks better and is more permanent than a formatted Forum post - Especially since you've gone so all out with the screen shots and thorough explanations. Good heavens - has this become your full time job, Bill?

ALERT - In your post you've labeled both of these links as being to Episode 1 - but they're for Episode 2. It would be good to edit that to avoid confusion.

Thank you Mucho, Bill!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Wow - Fancy tute! It's an excellent idea to make this a downloadable doc which looks better and is more permanent than a formatted Forum post - Especially since you've gone so all out with the screen shots and thorough explanations. Good heavens - has this become your full time job, Bill?
    Not full time, but I have gotten involved in creating a CD of music I have composed and my dear brother has finally gotten through my thick skull and my avoidance of learning new concepts that this approach really works. The music is so astoundingly real, that I forget it's all computer generated - well not all, there is some need to know how to put music together and an essence of what a recording engineer needs to do.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ALERT - In your post you've labeled both of these links as being to Episode 1 - but they're for Episode 2. It would be good to edit that to avoid confusion.
    Thanks for pointing that out. It's all fixed.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

It's another very clear tutorial, Bill. Applause to you for both the idea and the execution of this Band in a Box series.

This new document will be clear to everyone who's ever used any DAW software, because it's basically what holds universally true for all recording software. That's encouraging good news for people curious about BIAB - it's not as if they'll be branching into a totally new universe if they decide to purchase it.

I'd like to point out an alternative approach to drums, hoping you don't mind having that on this discussion thread. As we all know, there are many different ways of doing everything. I want to add this because it may be something people would like to try if they haven't.

--Using all available audio outs from the drum module is essential for full mixing control, as you explain so well in your tute. And, as you point out, it's the same theory behind using all audio outs from ARIA, with a different instrument on each out. Perfect.

--The alternate approach to the MIDI side of setting up the drums is to use one MIDI track instead of 8 MIDI tracks. I'll explain:

--With just 1 MIDi track, you can play and develop your drum line all at once, recording all the MIDI notes that trigger the various parts in the one track. You can use your keyboard, pads on the keyboard or on a percussion controller. Since the sounds are all piped out on separate audio channels, you still have complete control over the sound.

--In Sonar, the DAW software you're using as an example, in the Piano Roll View it's very easy to see what notes in the track are triggering which part of the kit, so editing isn't confusing. It's even easier if you use a Drum Map, because the parts of the kit are labeled by name on the left hand side of the PRV.

--If, for some reason, one still wants the notes for each kit part on a separate MIDI track, one can go through the only slightly laborious task of selecting all notes for one kit part, cutting, pasting into a new MIDI track. When you click the note on the left side of the PRV, all instances of that one note are selected in one fell swoop, making for easy, instant selection.

--But I've never found it helpful or necessary to separate the parts into separate MIDI tracks (all on the same MIDI channel, by the way, don't want confusion over that), since it's easy to edit the notes when they're all in one track.

--If we're separating to 8 MIDI tracks before we even play the drums, then of course we're limited to only being able to play one part of the kit at a time, and that's not a very intuitive or musical way to work. We haven't gotten to that part of your tute, but I'm thinking you must be developing the drums on one MIDI track first, then separating the notes into the separate MIDI tracks.

--To reiterate, this simplified work flow I use still has the same result of having a separate audio track for each part of the drum kit. I'm just able to play and develop drum tracks in one location, that one MIDI track. That makes it possible to actually play the drums like drums. Having 8 audio tracks doesn't necessitate having as many MIDI tracks.

Hope I've described that alternate approach clearly enough, and hope you don't mind me adding it here, Bill.

Randy

Way to go, Bill, on the tutorial! What we (I) need is a tutorial on bringing in a Finale/Garritan sounds midi file into Sonar and massaging it into something exquisite--a tutorial that includes the tasks one would perform and how to accomplish them, in an appropriate sequence.

I'm not sure if others think the same way, but I've been bringing myself kicking and screaming into the world of DAW software, and I, for one, would welcome this kind of help. Some people need to be taken by the hand and led in this area more than others.

If there were a class on this, I'd be first in line to sign up!

Again, way to go and thanks for providing this tutorial!

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Art you are most welcome. More to come.

Randy, nice insight. I am going a different direction than those ideas (which will become apparent in the next episode), but I like your insight and information. Its nice to have someone adding their perspective to my tutorial. It gives more ideas to the reader.

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

By chance my Daw (Metro 6.5) was open with a new file when I down loaded the tutorial MIDI file and Metro automatically imported it and set it up with the correct separate tracks and instruments.

I've checked out BiaB. It probably does what it says it will do. The interface could use a major overhaul. It looks like shareware from the nineties. They are still using the floppy disk for icons. Younger people probably don't even know what a floppy disk was!

Maybe they don't have the resources to modernize it's appearance but it's hard to see spending that kind of money for something that looks so dated.

Though I noticed their sales pages are pretty snazzy looking .

If it does the job, oh well.

Bill,

Very clear tutorial on BIAB. I've been using BIAB for backing tracks for singing students for about 6 years now. It makes learning songs more interesting for the younger singers and I like fiddling with the different styles and arrangements until I find that "cool" one.

It's a fabulous programme really. It's also fun to find a genre you like to play and mute your instrument part (in my case the piano track) and try to play along. The real tracks are a great addition as I get to play with professional musicians, something I wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

I'd try to get to know the Sonar Le programme I have but I've been using Power Tracks for years and I know my way around it now. Your tutorials may change my mind though, so thank you for starting these off.

A very helpful series
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    By chance my Daw (Metro 6.5) was open with a new file when I down loaded the tutorial MIDI file and Metro automatically imported it and set it up with the correct separate tracks and instruments.

I've checked out BiaB. It probably does what it says it will do. The interface could use a major overhaul. It looks like shareware from the nineties. They are still using the floppy disk for icons. Younger people probably don't even know what a floppy disk was!

Maybe they don't have the resources to modernize it's appearance but it's hard to see spending that kind of money for something that looks so dated.

Though I noticed their sales pages are pretty snazzy looking .

If it does the job, oh well.
    Thanks for the comments. Appearances aren't everything, though I agree it has a retro-look since they have never changed it. The nuts and bolts though are new.

Best regards
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    Bill,

Very clear tutorial on BIAB. I've been using BIAB for backing tracks for singing students for about 6 years now. It makes learning songs more interesting for the younger singers and I like fiddling with the different styles and arrangements until I find that "cool" one.

It's a fabulous programme really. It's also fun to find a genre you like to play and mute your instrument part (in my case the piano track) and try to play along. The real tracks are a great addition as I get to play with professional musicians, something I wouldn't be able to do otherwise.

I'd try to get to know the Sonar Le programme I have but I've been using Power Tracks for years and I know my way around it now. Your tutorials may change my mind though, so thank you for starting these off.

A very helpful series
    Never having used Power Tracks, I don't much about the program. I too use BiaB for creating practice tracks for my students. And when you apply the power of a DAW (especially Sonar) the results can be amazing.

I don't profess to know all there is to know about DAW and the production of music. Randy by far is more into that. But, I know enough to get tracks that sound wonderful.

Thanks for your comments,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum