• Register
  • Help

Topic: Used MP3 For Sale?

Share/Bookmark

Used MP3 For Sale?

Here's link to an article from the BBC about an online company, ReDigi, that is buying a reselling MP3 songs and now also ebooks.

A court is about to rule on a suite brought by EMI on it's legality.

The problem I see is that you can burn the song or Album to a CD or copy it some other way before you sell it which makes the transaction a fraud but so does reselling a copied CD to a lesser extent which is legal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19842851

Re: Used MP3 For Sale?

Doesn't sound legal to me.

Yes, fair use implies that if I buy a CD, I can also rip it to use on an mp3 player, etc. I am glad that I can do that.

There are probably some individuals who buy a CD, rip it to MP3 for their own use, then sell the CD at a used CD store. I am sure that is not legal, but pretty much impossible to enforce.

However, a company on a mass public level buying and selling "used MP3s" sounds quite illegal to me!

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Here's link to an article from the BBC about an online company, ReDigi, that is buying a reselling MP3 songs and now also ebooks.

A court is about to rule on a suite brought by EMI on it's legality.

The problem I see is that you can burn the song or Album to a CD or copy it some other way before you sell it which makes the transaction a fraud but so does reselling a copied CD to a lesser extent which is legal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19842851

Re: Used MP3 For Sale?

Three aspects to this:

1. the legal aspect, what the law as written (and interpreted) says.

2. the ethical aspect of it (which there are many widely differing opinions on).

3. the practical aspect of it (a file is just a bunch of numbers stored on a computer, just information, and trying to prevent the flow of information is nigh impossible).

I'm not in the mood for a messy debate right now, but for those who feel like voicing their opinions, please keep all three in consideration, and keep them separate and not take aspects from one and mix them into the other.
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum