• Register
  • Help

Topic: WIndows XP 64-bit Edition

WIndows XP 64-bit Edition

I posted this in the East West forum days ago but thought it significant enough to warrant a seperate post;

There is a Windows XP 64-bit Edition for high-end workstations and servers.
    Game developers, 3d modellers, Aircraft designers, etc use it to lower rendering and compiling times.
    The O.S. can address 16gig of ram and several terabytes of virtual memory.
    It needs an Intel Itanium processor to run. Last I checked, they are over $4,000 U.S. so very pricey.

Not sure what the Windows XP 64-bit Edition sells for.

Here is some further info;

Hhhmm, this is interesting, Microsoft claim that the 64 bit edition is for the following professionals;

Q. Who is the target customer for Windows XP 64-Bit Edition?

A. Windows XP 64-Bit Edition is ready for customers\' applications that benefit from large memory and/or fast computational performance. Industry analysts recommend several key scenarios that benefit from large amounts of memory and the overall high performance of the architecture. For example:

Mechanical Design and Analysis including Mechanical CAD, Computer Aided Engineering and Solid Modeling
    Digital Content Creation including 3D animation, digital video editing and composition and visual effects
    Scientific and high performance computing applications such as oil & gas exploration, seismic analysis and advanced simulations.

Then it says on another page that the 64 bit edition does not support the following;

Digital Media
    The following digital media features are not included with Windows XP 64-Bit Edition:

Digital video disc (DVD) video playback
    CD Recording
    Kodak Imaging Accessory
    Windows Media Player
    A subset of Windows Media Technologies
    Microsoft TV Technologies for Windows®
    Video mixing renderer (VMR)
    IEEE 1394 audio
    The IEEE 1394 - is of course Firewire.

Still, I think a mchine runnning FX-Teleport and EWQLSO could do very nicely on a system like this.

Re: WIndows XP 64-bit Edition

I think it would still be more cost-effective and overall a better solution to run a network of machines with 32-bit XP.

And the question is, what are you really doing with the power you already have?

Winsted, CT

> It needs an Intel Itanium processor to run

So? It doesn\'t run on the 64-bit AMD CPUs?

there going after the SGI market on this for now
    not us lowly prosumers

There will be a seperate version of Windows 64bit for AMD.

Windows XP 64 AMD for the Opteron and Athlon 64s bit cpus.

But, it\'s not out yet.

Hmm...wonder how developers are going to feel about yet another Windows splinter to write for ?

guess you just pick one and go?

Windows 9.x/ME, NT, 2k, XP, and now XP 64 AMD.
    And if INtel decides to move into 64bit desktop market with something new (besides Itanium.)..that will be yet \"another\" version of Windows.

The Itanium is not x86 and wasnt designed for desktop/workstation application.

It also runs 32 bit apps in software emulation (terribly)

It was never intended to be used in this setting.

I believe INtel has been quoted as saying..something along the lines of ....we don\'t think 64 bit desktop computing is going to even be a factor for at least 4 to 8 years or so.

So, at least for now, they have no intention of entering this market...at 64bit.

They\'ll continue offering the PIVs and xeons lines in the x86 market.

The OPterons and coming Athlon 64s are x86 and designed for the desktop/workstation market.

They natively support 32 bit operation. Or, native 64bit operation. I believe the only caveat is...if you want to use all that extra ram addressing..you have to rewrite the apps in full 64bit. 32 bit apps still have all the 32 bit limitations in that regard but they run fine on the 64bit chip as it has a 32 bit compatiblity mode built into it.

Apple\'s approach with the G5 is a little different.

The version of OSX they are using is not full on 64bit like the coming Windows 64 AMD will be. It\'s more a 32/64 hybrid.

Basically, apps for the mac will not have to be completely rewritten for 64bit in order to take advantage of the extra memory addressing (8 gigs to start)

32 bit legacy apps will run as is (as they do on the aMD).
    But, to get at some of the more beneficial (all around) advantages of 64bit computing (such as the extra memory addressing), developers won\'t have to rewrite applications...just recompile them.

A slightly different approach.

Go Back to forum