• Register
  • Help

Topic: Now I'm a ProTooler

Share/Bookmark

Now I'm a ProTooler

Gentlemen,

I eventually entered the DAW world!

I just purchased a copy of ProTools 9LE bundled with a M-Audio Mbox audio interface as a bargain from my musical instrument supplier.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: Now I'm a ProTooler

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Gentlemen,

I eventually entered the DAW world!

I just purchased a copy of ProTools 9LE bundled with a M-Audio Mbox audio interface as a bargain from my musical instrument supplier.
    That's super, Fabio - Start crackin' that manual!

Randy

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raymond
    Thank you, Sirs.
    Now I see why they sold me it as a bargain!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

It should work fine for audio recording and MIDI work to a lesser extent. Protools is of course the studio standard for audio recording.

Avid has sold M-Audio to inMusic but hopefully that won't make much difference and in not sure if Avid will continue developing Protools LE as they are exiting the consumer market but I'm sure there will be good support for at least a few years.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ...Pro Tools is of course the studio standard for audio recording...
    There are so many different programs now made by Avid/Pro Tools. --The screen shots on this thread are computer keyboard overlays for Avid video editing software, --Media Composer perhaps, not one of their audio programs.

I looked around online, and there seems to be confusion about what exactly this bundled "Pro Tools 9LE" is - But basically, like all "LE" (Light) versions of programs, it's stripped down and more limited than the full program. BUT, also like the LE versions of software made by other companies, there are plenty of tools to keep most people busy. I think it should work out fine for you, Fabio. In the more advanced versions of programs, the user is mostly getting a lot of things that they could very well never get around to actually using.

There are so many Audio/MIDI recording programs, and in their essentials, they all do the same thing, just with slightly different tools. The user just has to learn how a particular company's program works, and when they've learned it, they're up to speed along with most other computer musicians.

Pro Tools is the prime example of a company's product becoming the "standard" for a given industry by the sheer power of an aggressive and successful ad campaign. It's not as if it's generally agreed that PT is "better" than other programs doing the same thing - it's a matter of the brand name having become very entrenched. For years now, PT is the only program found in most pro studios. Projects are easily exchanged between studios since they use the same software, the engineers all know the program inside and out - PT is there to stay.

But if you get hard core, true blue Sonar or Cubase users going on the subject, they'll gladly tell you how PT has been consistently behind in development. There are tools available for years in Sonar which PT was extremely slow to catch up to. A lot of users feel that Sonar remains way ahead of PT in functionality.

BE THAT AS IT may - it doesn't matter. Like I said, all of these programs, especially the LE versions, all do the same thing. The thing to do is get one, learn it, and go make music with it.

I bet it works out great for you, Fabio.

Randy

Go Back to forum