• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New show - vocal demo by our own Francesco!

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation New show - vocal demo by our own Francesco!

"Disinherited"
    (click photo for MP3)

EDIT 10/12/12:
    For those interested in hearing the instrumental track of the song by itself, I've uploaded that to Box also:

"Disinherited" instrumental

My current project is a stage musical based on "Ivanhoe" by Sir Walter Scott. Like "Tom Sawyer," it's a show aimed at family audiences, to be produced by community performing groups.

I'm especially excited to post this particular song from the show because the singer on the demo is none other than Forum member, Francesco Marchetti! He's shared his fantastic music with us here in The Listening Room, and now it's fun to hear from him as a performer.

Awhile back I asked in General Discussion if anyone knew of singers who may want to help out in demoing some of my songs. I was delighted when several volunteers contacted me, offering their own singing talents! After working with several tracks, I decided to use Francesco's version for this particular song. I'm hoping the volunteers I worked with will still be working with me when I start working on more demos.

This is the second song in the show:

It's 12th Century, England, and Ivanhoe has returned from The Crusades in The Holy Land. His father, Cedric, has disinherited Ivanhoe for following the Norman King Richard the Lionheart, and for interfering with Cedric's plans to marry his ward, Rowena, to Athlestane, last heir to the lost Saxon throne.

Ivanhoe has returned to his father's estate at Rotherwood, in the disguise of a holy pilgrim. Following the opening banquet scene, Ivanhoe has had to maintain his disguise while briefly speaking with his love, Rowena, who is in despair for having to marry Athlestane. She's hoping for Ivanhoe's return, but fears he was killed during the Crusades.

As Rowena sadly exits, Ivanhoe considers his plight. He's a soldier returning from war only to find his entire world turned upside down. He's considered a traitor, his father has disowned him, and the love of his life is promised to another. He has to come up with a plan to reclaim his life, and to help King Richard wrest control of England from his treacherous brother, Prince John.

Garritan instruments used:

From Instant Orchestra:

Harps - 4 different patches (up medium, up rapid, down rapid, plucks)
    Cathedral Orchestra 2 (a choir patch)
    Earth Drums 3
    Full Winds

From GPO:

Full Strings
    1st strings +solo
    2nd strings +solo
    Violas +solo
    Cellos +solo
    Basses +solo
    Horn Solo
    Horn Overlay ff
    Cymbals
    Tympani

From CoMB:

Trombone group
    Trumpet group

From JABB:

Flugelhorn 1 JABB

Plus Broomstick Bass, EZ Drummer, Strum Acoustic, Dimension Pro "Distant" (an ambient piano patch), Cakewalk Studio Instruments Electric Piano, RealStrat.

THANK YOU, FRANCESCO and everyone who volunteered to work on this!

Randy

Re: New show - vocal demo by our own Francesco!

Superb writing and the production is great! Instruments and vocal are top-notch.

Thanks for sharing.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Wonderful words, wonderful text, wonderful sound, wonderful production, wonderful singing, and wonderful collaboration.
    Rodney

Great Randy, simply great. I'm always filled with joy when hearing text music in which the music (melody line) perfectly fits the lyrics. There's so much bad songs, mainly due to a negligent application of the meter (metrum), where stressed syllables don't get the musical stresses or vice versa. Moreover, you've succeeded absolutely in creating not only a correct meter, but also a nice building up corresponding to the meaning of the text. And everything in a 'catchy' song. Congratulations!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Superb writing and the production is great! Instruments and vocal are top-notch.

Thanks for sharing.
    Larry, I'm so glad you like this so much. I hope Francesco sees your comment about the vocal being top-notch. Maybe we can encourage him to branch out into a second career!

And as the most prolific sharer of music here in our Listening Room, you know how appreciated it is when people stop to write a note after listening. The email alerts from Box show me that this MP3 had quite a few plays before your message, the first response, showed up. That makes your message especially appreciated.

One of the other many things I appreciate about you, Mr. A, is that your taste in music is so democratic - um, as in broad. You write in a wide variety of genres and you don't find mere songs like this beneath your notice. That's super. Thanks again.

Randy

This is great Randy!

The distant piano at the beginning with the horn and harp to piano was a neat lead in to a strong song, arrangement and spirited vocal performance that was emotionally convincing.

I like hearing the instruments from the different libraries blended together. Your a master at that.

I'm looking forward to hearing more of you newest musical.

Phil

Hi all,
    thanks for your appreciation. Randy is a very good composer. It was nice to take part to this song and to have this experience with him, who is very precise and make a joy to deal with his stuff. However it was very funny, as I'm not a pro-singer, so your comments are double appreciated
    wish you a brilliant day
    Fra
    nothing is forever

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Wonderful words, wonderful text, wonderful sound, wonderful production, wonderful singing, and wonderful collaboration.
    Rodney
    Wow - now that's a whole lot of Wonderful, Rodney! It's great to hear that you found so much to like about this. Thanks for the post.

Randy

Randy: I'm with Rodney on this! I especially thought the chords and phrasing were fresh. And, more abstractly and difficult to achieve, I thought the piece sounded "right." Maybe that's the appropriate, pleasing fit of text, melody line, and music. Very nice!

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Larry, I'm so glad you like this so much. I hope Francesco sees your comment about the vocal being top-notch. Maybe we can encourage him to branch out into a second career!

And as the most prolific sharer of music here in our Listening Room, you know how appreciated it is when people stop to write a note after listening. The email alerts from Box show me that this MP3 had quite a few plays before your message, the first response, showed up. That makes your message especially appreciated.

One of the other many things I appreciate about you, Mr. A, is that your taste in music is so democratic - um, as in broad. You write in a wide variety of genres and you don't find mere songs like this beneath your notice. That's super. Thanks again.

Randy
    My pleasure. Thanks for your message.

One of my computer disk drives is making strange noises such as high-pitched "screaming". I have two external hard drives and three drives in my tower so I can't tell which drive is about to croak. Any suggestions?

I am using a friend's 'puter to do this posting.

Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast