• Register
  • Help

Topic: If you've a successful Gigastudio config, please post it

Share/Bookmark

If you\'ve a successful Gigastudio config, please post it

I know it\'s a bit of a hassle, but I think it\'s time we heard from some of the guys who are NOT having any showstopping problems running Gigastudio. There are a few of you out there, aren\'t there......?
    I\'d really appreciate reading the specs of any PC getting good polyphony and no crashes or artifacts.
    Please consider including critical system files (win.ini?)
    I\'d be fascinated to compare systems and results, although mileage obviously varies dependiing on what other software is installed etc.,

Re: If you\'ve a successful Gigastudio config, please post it

I\'d like to see that too. Although I\'d be more interested in system.ini than win.ini

Simon

Glad I\'m not the ONLY one!
    Address these problems, please, Nemesys.

Nobody told me I HAD to have a dedicated machine in order for Giga to run.

Maybe we should get our cash back in hand until the product is fixed.

How about GigaSampler? Any Comments?
    Thanks,
    LHong

I have a couple of interesting observations. I have been reading the posts about setting the vcache to 2046 and 4000 (?). I have consistantly been getting 160 voices everyday and gigastudio has not crashed once! However when I decided to see what my vcache was set to it was at 55680!!! So I set it to 2046 restarted and two things happened. 1) It took forever to load instruments and 2) I only got about 86 notes of polyphony.
    I am no computer guru but it seems to me, at least on my system, that a higher vcache setting works better. Maybe my system is totally messed up but if it is then I can live with it.
    So right now my system (PIII550, 256ram, (2) 13.5 7200 rpm drives) is set at the following.

vcache min and max 48000 (I did lower it a bit).

My system is in no way dedicated just to gigastudio. I have word processing programs, all kinds of audio programs, and I even use it to surf the web. I am not trying to stand up for Nemesys but honestly my system has not crashed once (now of course you know it will crash 10 times today since I said that! I use it app. 3 hours a day with Finale 2000 (I\'ve given up on Cubase).
    Anyway like I said I am no computer guru but if I can help in anyway just let me know

Donnie Christian
    DS Soundware http://www.dssoundware.com

[This message has been edited by donnie (edited 07-04-2000).]

Donnie - that\'s about how much trouble I hope to go to when I get my PC running.
    Hope I have as many problems as you

Thought this post from Raven was appropriate:

DONNIE YOU\'RE MY HERO!!!! That did it!!! Chaging VCACHE to a ridiculously high
    setting I could play my full arrangement, 140 voices without a single click, pop or dropout!!!
    I wonder why this is and if this isn\'t some bug in GS or the WSTREAM device, but THANKS a lot! So people... DON\'T listen to the 2048/4096-whatever setting. I now have50.000 and it made a hell of a difference. Damn...

I\'ll post a new topic on this - people ought to know I don\'t know if this cures my
    crashes too, but let\'s see.

The only time my system has frozen was when I was loading and unloading a lot a different gigs into the #1 channel to listen to the sounds. After about 20 of that, my system froze. Otherwise, I have never had it crash. So far, I have not been doing any heavy duty stuff. My sequencer is Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 and Gigastudio and Cakewalk seem to work fine together. I have not had time to experiment to see how many tracks with effects I can run. All I have done is experiment to see that I can record into Cakewalk from Gigastudio. That worked fine.

My system is: Dell 850 Mhz PIII, 256 RAM (not RDRAM), two 30 GB ATA66 7200 rpm HD\'s (Quantum and Maxtor - I added the Maxtor), Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96, Turtle Beach Montego II. The HD\'s are divided as follows: Quantum - C: OS D: Cakewalk Wavedate E: Gigastudio, Cakewalk, Aardvark, plugins F: Other apps; Maxtor - Gigasamples only. The HDs are both connected to an ATA66 controller card. The Quantum is connected to the primary slot on the controller card. The Maxtor is connected to the secondary slot on the controller card (rather than as a slave on the same slot with the Quantum).

That\'s it. Nothing magical. But, I have not had time to really stress the system. Perhaps I will be where you guys are when I do.

Doug

Go Back to forum