• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Will We All Go Down With The Ship?

Share/Bookmark

Will We All Go Down With The Ship?

Here's a link to an article by John Kirk titled The PC Is The Titanic And The Tablet Is The Iceberg. Any Questions?

Man your lifeboats and good luck to all!

Any thoughts on this?

http://techpinions.com/the-pc-is-the...questions/7806

Re: Will We All Go Down With The Ship?

personally, I think whoever wrote that article is an idiot.

the tablet may be popular for people who don't actually WORK with their computers.

anyone who actually has to work, using dedicated software, needs something more than a simple tablet.

all the examples he gives, car salesmen, maitre d', etc... are not even people who would use a computer.

and even then, those people WILL need a computer at some point and the tablet will not be sufficient.

now, for us, imaging trying to enter music on a tablet?

I'm sorry, I have 24" wide screen monitors (yes, more than 1). there is no way in hell I'm going to replace that with a 10" tablet.

I need a musical keyboard. I need an entry device (my trackball), I need a regular keyboard that I can use FAST.

If I have to plug all of that into a tablet, well, that tablet ain't so mobile anymore is it.

Those who go on and boast that the tablet will replace the PC or that the PC is a dinosaur, or in this case a "Titanic" that is to be "sunk" by the tablet's "iceberg", well, they obviously don't really need a computer to work on. They're probably people who'd be just as happy web browsing on their iPhones.

But for those of us who actually work for a living, well... a PC is indispensable.

But then, this is my opinion.

I personally think that a phone should connect you to another person's phone. I don't believe in texting from a device that is DESIGNED to let you speak to someone. I personally have no need for internet browsing on a phone. maybe there are people who have a legitimate need for it... but I am going to state as a fact that I am SURE that 95% of people who have iPhones to browse the internet actually have absolutely NO need for it whatsoever.

I'll go a step further: those people we see glued to their phones everywhere we go? I am certain that what they are so intently discussing (or texting, whichever the case may be) is so patently pointless and nonessential that removing their phones would make absolutely no difference in their lives, other than make them a little more bored because they have nothing to do now.

It seems that people these days live under the illusion that "they are busy" and "need to keep in touch".

So maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man. I'll admit it.

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    .........I'll go a step further: those people we see glued to their phones everywhere we go? I am certain that what they are so intently discussing (or texting, whichever the case may be) is so patently pointless and nonessential that removing their phones would make absolutely no difference in their lives, other than make them a little more bored because they have nothing to do now.

It seems that people these days live under the illusion that "they are busy" and "need to keep in touch".

So maybe I'm just becoming a grumpy old man. I'll admit it.
    Some have even two or three of those phones. But it is not boredom, it is lonelyness. Those young ones feel lonely when they cannot reach other young ones with their "devices". It is the fear of being left alone. I pity those young ones.

And yes, we are grumpy old men......

Raymond

+1 for the "I may just be a grumpy old man", I think I've reached that stage too.

But I believe it's a well researched, well thought out article.
    The areas of new application are certainly there and they are areas where even a laptop can't go.

As to whether the tablet will sink the PC, declining volumes of PC sales will decide that.
    It may well be that we see the prices of PCs rising rather than falling.
    The fact that Microsoft is having to go there is proof enough I believe.

However, like you, I can't see how many of the things we do today in offices (however you choose to define an office) could be done on a tablet. I can't see my son, a CAD draughtsman, designing buildings on a tablet. I'm sure many other applications require the precision of sitting at a desk with a screen, keyboard and mouse.

I do use text, not a lot, but when I want to contact someone, who I know may be busy and possibly away from their desk or home, I think an SMS is a polite way of telling them I would like to contact them. They can then contact me when it's convenient for them. A bit like leaving a message on an answering machine.

Accessing the Internet from a mobile device? I'm right with you on that one.

I have to say that I find it rather sad to see the people glued to their phones all the time.
    A week or so ago I saw a group of people going out together, and one of the party spent the whole time playing some sort of game on his phone and intermittently answering calls or sending texts, completely ignoring the others.
    I call that insane! It's actually an addiction, I believe.

Sadly my son-in-law has the same X-box games addiction.
    He seems to spend all his free time glued to the screen with a controller in hand.
    Sad for my daughter and grand daughter.

Oh well!
    Regards,
    John.

Without reading anything, I bet main PC advantage is in preventing divorces in musician families, for one could never take the courage to move his mammoth rig elsewhere.

I agree with what has already been said, but would love to add my two cents

I think qc hit it right on the head with people actually using tablets to work. I know many people that buy tablets for their kids (not typically the more expensive iPad, of course) as sort of a gaming system for them to use. Plus, I don't care how powerful and fast tablets may get, it will always be possible to build a desktop that is more powerful: more room, more muscle. Whether the desktop stays economical enough remains to be seen, but I believe it will. And to echo a point made by others, I couldn't imagine developing software on an iPad, in fact, mentioning the idea at work is seen purely as a joke . We use the iPad for testing web applications that our clients may use, but that is it.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I agree with Michel et all. When it comes to heads down work, the PC is the most appropriate tool by far. Other devices have their uses but work isn't one of them.

I posted the following on another forum awhile back:

Personal technology:

Smartphone
    As a phone - rarely (yes dear, I'll pick up some milk on the way home)
    Music player - every day on my commute ~1hr each way
    Web,Email, etc. - quick check occasionally, particularly in my carpool when I'm not driving.
    GPS- directions when needed
    Google Maps w/traffic - on my commute.
    Camera/Video for quick shots here and there.

Overall, a useful tool, I don't let it dominate my life, for sure. I also really dislike talking on it. Forget about texting.

IPad
    Casual browsing around the house, particularly for recipes while cooking
    Alarm clock in the morning
    Netflix in bed occasionally
    quick check of email, Facebook, etc. around the houseTravel info when out of town
    Quick videos for my fencing students, It really helps them see what I'm talking about

Kindle
    Reading! The best for that purpose, really easy on my aging eyes

PC
    Music - Finale, Sonar, Virtual instruments, etc
    Home office stuff
    Writing, correspondence, etc.

I've always thought as tablets (whatever manufacturer and OS) as extensions of their desktop counterparts, not replacements.

For example, I can use my tablet to access my desktop remotely from another location. I can also create something in Photoshop Touch and finish it in Photoshop for the desktop if I want. I could create a Word document using my Bluetooth keyboard and finish it in the desktop version of Word. I can open Chrome on my desktop and then open Chrome on my tablet and have them sync if I need to step away and show someone something.

The key thing here is the tablet's utility and portability but that's it; tablets have yet to catch up to their desktop counterparts. (A top-end tablet now can come with about 2 GB of memory; pretty paltry compared to what a desktop can have.)

In the same token, I look at tablets as a source of entertainment or relaxation. I always use it for watching YouTube videos or listening to TuneIn Radio Pro (or even my own MP3 collection) over my Bluetooth speakers. While I was waiting for a relative of mine to come out of surgery, I was using my tablet to make a composition in Photoshop Touch. For that, it's great as a media device.

As far as music composition goes? Yeah, not gonna happen. Maybe to capture ideas and such but that's it. In no small way would I consider it a replacement for my desktop rig. It's not like I'm going to go to the lake or beach with my electric guitar and jam out on a tablet. I hate it when people look at me while I'm composing anyway. lol

Looking at some historical pictures, I think we are all wrong

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    ...I have to say that I find it rather sad to see the people glued to their phones all the time.
    A week or so ago I saw a group of people going out together, and one of the party spent the whole time playing some sort of game on his phone and intermittently answering calls or sending texts, completely ignoring the others.
    I call that insane! It's actually an addiction, I believe...
    100% agree with you, John. What in the world is so fascinating to people on their phones that they have to stay glued at it every possible minute? Two young fathers who are neighbors are supposedly playing with their young grade school boys outside - what are the fathers ALWAYS doing? Walking around, heads glued to their phones, their sons doing everything to get their attention short of hanging themselves from a tree out there. I can not STand it. A young mother pushes her baby stroller with her phone stuck in one hand as she pushes - one day that baby's going to go flying on to the street!

I especially don't get the fascination with this phone thing because I have always detested phones. I've never owned a cell phone, and hope to never get one. I still have a land line with a message service - if someone needs to reach me, they can call, leave a message if I'm not here. Email is Much preferred - Something has always irritated me about phones, don't like to hear them ring, and cannot STAAAAAand it if someone calls just to yack. - They are Information Dissemination Devices to me - If you call me, there better be a reason, and you better explain that reason in 30 seconds or less! HA! I out grumped you, John!

And as to this thread's topic - So many people don't need full computers, and these tablets will serve them just fine. For what they need and do, tablets are easier than walking around with laptops open like characters do on crime TV shows - it's awkward, clunky - That team on "Criminal Minds" are obviously much more hip with their tablets.

But people doing major work, like we do with music - those are the folks will always need a work station and complete computer set up with bazillion gigabytes and all that. Computers will go back to the more exclusive, serious work items they were back when very few people had them - So they'll be more expensive. Tablets will be for the masses, like cell phones. --- and, by the way, to me they're just another toy, like cell phones, that I am very happy to live without.

Randy

Go Back to forum