• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Minor Bird

Share/Bookmark

A Minor Bird

Gentlmen,
    don't know if the following is still eligible for the LR Summer Festival, but I wish to submit to your attention a composition from the past year, after Robert Frost's poem "A Minor Bird".

https://www.box.com/s/ibcj07sbod8o6ovesddt

As far as I am a silly person, there's an inner joke in the title, being the piece in the key of A minor.

-- Edit: I went back to the original file and found that's all GPO. The sweetness of the string sound surprised even myself.

Comments are welcome
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: A Minor Bird

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Gentlmen,
    don't know if the following is still eligible for the LR Summer Festival, but I wish to submit to your attention a composition from the past year, after Robert Frost's poem "A Minor Bird".

As far as I am a silly person, there's an inner joke in the title, being the piece in the key of A minor.

Woodwinds are GPO, strings are fromNotion's LSO library.

Comments are welcome
    This music sounds like poetry!
    ~Rod

Thumbs up Re: A Minor Bird

It's definitely not a 'minor' bird. You managed again to establish a very interesting soundscape. I'm totally carried away in a dreamy mood while listening. Some fragments remind me of Debussy's dreamy pieces (pure impressionism). The melancholic oboe sounds extremely well and gives the whole composition extra emotion. Music to listen to in concentration or to let flow as a quieting or relaxing background, without ever being boring. (A hint for sleepless nights?)
    One of my favorites, Fabio!

Max

Re: A Minor Bird

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Gentlmen,don't know if the following is still eligible for the LR Summer Festival, but I wish to submit to your attention a composition from the past year, after Robert Frost's poem "A Minor Bird".

-- Edit: I went back to the original file and found that's all GPO. The sweetness of the string sound surprised even myself.

Comments are welcome
    Fabio! It's always a fine day when you grace the LR with one of your compositions. And this piece is certainly fulfilling that tradition - it's gracing the Forum beautifully.

That's an interesting source for inspiration. To negate the need for readers to stop and do a search on the poem, here it is:

A Minor Bird

I have wished a bird would fly away,
    And not sing by my house all day;

Have clapped my hands at him from the door
    When it seemed as if I could bear no more.

The fault must partly have been in me.
    The bird was not to blame for his key.

And of course there must be something wrong
    In wanting to silence any song.

Robert Frost

I like a piece of commentary on the page where I found the poem, "...I think Robert Frost was trying to say that it is wrong to try to silence anyone’s opinions and beliefs..."

You've responded musically to Frost's simple little poem with great elegance. While languid, with a touch of melancholy, it isn't without it's surprises, like early in the first half when we hear your bird suddenly jumping to another branch.

AND I like the quote from you above, that you investigated your original file and were surprised that GPO is the only sound source you used. You see, I think the GPO strings are unjustly maligned too often. They can sound perfectly fine when used well by a sensitive musician who knows what he's doing - as demonstrated here in your lovely recording. Thanks for passing on that bit of information.

Beautiful, Fabio - Thank you.

OH - And as far as your post being "eligible for the LR Summer Festival" - Now that we're slipping into Autumn, I think we can consider the Festival to be an on-going thing. It's been so good to have the LR wake up again with so much music of all sorts, and of all origins - I hope this is just how we conduct ourselves in the LR from here on out!

Randy

Go Back to forum