• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Freakin' Apple!!

Share/Bookmark

Freakin\' Apple!!

Everyone who ordered dual 2ghz g5 machines, even those ordered the day of announcement (i.e. me), with an estimated ship date of today (8/29) mysteriously had their ship date changed to 9/26 at midnight, the night before they were supposed to ship!!

Hopefully this is just some glitch in the online store!

Sorry.. just venting! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Freakin\' Apple!!

Thats what I heard too, at least for Europe..

I also heard that not everybody will get that at the end of September, the first batch will go to those who ordered it first and so on...

This is all unofficial \"what I heard\" talk... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I saw one of these last week, looks very nice, and damn that thing is silent..

Alex

Well the only saving grace, as I understand it, right now is that no one whos order is showing that date slip has received an email detailing that - which would be normal policy. Some believe that as an indication of a screw-up on the online store.

Eric,
    though I understand your venting, I wonder why that surprises you. It has been Apples behavior for at least 3-4 years now. They always announce new products with a release date and they weren´t able to hold the promises. I dislike that as much as you do but there is simply nothing we could do against it. Sad but true.
    I´m looking forward to the new G5 and I hope to get one soon but I agree with you: How Apple handle these things is not very good. Oh well, I think we have to live with it.

Holger

Originally posted by Beel:
    Oh well, I think we have to live with it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No you don\'t. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

A few G5 dual 2ghz are confirmed shipping. Some people have said their credit card has already been charged (meaning their on their way)

But, the main reason for the delay in all this is..that 90% of the total orders placed for the G5 were for the 2 ghz model...which apple wasn\'t prepared for.

2nd thing (minor) was that the IBM plant where the cpus are being made in FishKill NY...was shut down for a few days as the result of the power blackout.

According to IBM and apple..that wouldn\'t have a major impact on delivery schedules. (a day or so).

It could be, that they are nearing release of Panther and bumping the ship date on some orders to ship it with Panther instead of 10.2.7.

Sometimes..any component shortage can cause such delays. But, usually..you\'ll benefit in some way from it.

I had my last G4 order delayed...for seeingly no reason. It was right before Jaguar came out.. When I finally got my G4 it not only had Jag on it, they had upgraded the HD and the video card...to match new specs for the line. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So, it\'s not always all bad in the end.

As I said....the order volume for the G5 dual was so heavy...even if you ordered the day they came out..you could easily have thousands of people in front of you.

Originally posted by dcornutt:

It could be, that they are nearing release of Panther and bumping the ship date on some orders to ship it with Panther instead of 10.2.7.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Don\'t know about that, dcornutt. My understanding was that none of the announced models of the G5 would ship with Panther pre-installed, but that buyers would receive a deal (or free?) upgrade from Jaguar to Panther once the latter becomes available.

I think Panther is still at least a few months away.

well everyone is saying that some email will come out at some point today explaining all this. Sure is taking awhile for that!

As another board poster put it, instead of ushering in a new era of computing, perhaps \"they can usher in a new era of shipping!\"

Eric

even worse only pci-x supported cards

Originally posted by Beel:
    I dislike that as much as you do but there is simply nothing we could do against it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well actually that\'s not quite true. There is one very sure thing you can do: don\'t preorder hardware from Apple. Wait until they\'re shipping in volume and then you can have one on your doorstep the morning after you order it. I don\'t mean to be snippy about it, but really, it will save you a lot of grief. I learned that lesson the hard way.

Go Back to forum