• Register
  • Help

Topic: Malsmjo Pianos...

Share/Bookmark

Malsmjo Pianos...

I\'m in the market to diversify my Acoustic Pno samples and I was looking at some available options. I\'m pretty set on getting the Malsmjo Piano. And I\'m also planning to get the Rain Piano from Bigga Gigga (it\'s just soooooo cool). However, upon entering the Bigga Gigga website I\'ve realized that they too have a Malsmjo Piano sample. From the demos the Art Vista Samples are way more ambient, which may or may not work better for a given piece. I\'m just wondering if anyone has both libraries and could get me some pros and cons? Basically I\'d get both collections, but if a little reverb makes the Bigga Gigga sound just like the Art Vista... I\'d hate to be redundant you know [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Any insight would be great! Thanks

andyt

Re: Malsmjo Pianos...

I have the BiggaGiggas and am very pleased with it, though it does have \"pinched ringing\" sound in the sustained melody range, for about 7 or 8 notes.

Why don\'t you send a midi file to Bigga and ask him to render it for you. He\'s recently said he\'d do this I think.

I could do it for yuo also, but not sure if that is legal. I\'m sure someone will us.

If you could find someone wiling to render a Alta Vista you could do a side by side comparison.

Cheers

I have Malmsjo. It\'s a beautiful, unique-sounding piano. It\'s perfect if you\'re after a softer, more subtle tone than what we\'re used to in sampled pianos. It\'s amazingly detailed in the ppp. I used it for a thriller film soundtrack, and it was really perfect. But for other work, like pop/rock/latin, anything that requires some punch and some brightness, I would go for something else. It might be best to consider the idea of having 2 or 3 pianos. After all, it\'s only 100 bucks or so, right? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Yes, that\'s what I\'m thinking. I meant to throw that question in my post too. Any recommendations for a really great bright piano that will cut through tracks for generic pop stuff?

J.W.,

The Art Vista Malmsjö and the BiggaGigga Malmsjö have very little in common except for the name. The Art Vista Malmsjö is an 1890\'s Malmsjö parlor grand (6ft), recorded with ambient mic\'ing. The BiggaGigga\'s Malmsjö is a close-miked 9ft instrument from the mid 1920\'s.

Malmsjö Piano Company was truly one of the great piano brands. Unfortunately the company could not survive the changing times, and went under around 1970.

I think it is great that the Malmsjö pianos now are getting a well deserved renaissance. You will still find these instruments all over Sweden, in private homes, as well as school auditoriums, theatres, and studios.

If you ever visit Stockholm, you can find a Malmsjö, exactly like the one recorded by Art Vista, at the Nordic Museum.

Hans Adamson
    Art Vista Productions
    http://www.artvista.net/

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    Yes, that\'s what I\'m thinking. I meant to throw that question in my post too. Any recommendations for a really great bright piano that will cut through tracks for generic pop stuff?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Of course, The Ultimate Yamaha C7 Piano library is exactly what you need for bright generic pop, that\'s one of the main reasons I created the library, I\'m also a pop music producer so the piano suits pop music perfectly, there\'s another thread on the forum\'s first page with new Kontakt demos but you\'ll find numerous demos on our site : www.vintaudio.com

Kindly,
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

J. Whaley-

To quote Monsieur Ned B.

\"I have Malmsjo. It\'s a beautiful, unique-sounding piano. It\'s perfect if you\'re after a softer, more subtle tone than what we\'re used to in sampled pianos. It\'s amazingly detailed in the ppp.\"

I second that wholeheartedly. See another recent thread regarding this piano.

2 weeks ago I purchased the ART VISTA Malmsjö and the BG Rain Piano. Both are FANTASTIC. I could not be more pleased as each does exactly what you expect them to. You will not be let down.

The Rain piano is a delightfully detuned / playable instrument (oxymorons? perhaps not if you are used to non-western music...).
    Perfect for Beatles/ Jon Brion character, jam session/ practice room in a confined space (hence upright...never as in tune as this one...)...oh and the \'but maman, do we have to\' holiday family sing-along as well.

Take him up on his midi-file offer if you are unsure. The price is right.

Sorry for scatty post ... I am several cups of coffee in and several hours of sleep short.

Regards,
    Didier

Go Back to forum