• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: All -in-One vs Individual Libraries

All -in-One vs Individual Libraries

Now that VSL and Quantum Leap are in the mix (pardon the pun), I am wondering what the benefits may be to acquiring either of these pricey libraries vs using a hodge-podge of individual ones. Call it Rich Man/Poor Man.

If a person already owns Garritan Strings, SAM horns and trombones, Dan Dean Winds, London Orchestral Percussion, Garritan Harp, and a spattering of older collections like Miroslav or Siedlaczek, what real benefit comes from dropping another 3 plus grand for the new \"all in one\" libraries?

From my point of view....(not owning either VSL or obviously, the yet to be released QLO), I have not heard a \"significant\" difference in the end result over the Hodge-Podge approach. The possible exception being VSL\'s woodwinds, which sound amazing in the demos.

But SAM Horns and Bones seem to hold their own against the other brass sounds. Garrtan hold their own against the strings. LOP holds it\'s own against the percussion. And throw in the G-Town free stuff, it seems to me that a person on a budget can do very well without dropping the big bucks for the new libraries.

For those of you who have already purchased VSL and also have some of these other libraries listed above....what is your opinion? Have you stopped using the other libraries in favor of VSL? Are they really that much better?....or better at all?

Honesty is appreciated.

Re: All -in-One vs Individual Libraries

VSL\'s power lies in the performance set. Trust me when I say that when you try one of the legato patches you\'re basically sold. This goes not only for the woodwinds, but all the instruments in the performance set.

Real legato is where it\'s at IMO. I don\'t want to diss QLSO, but when I heard those first few notes at the start I went \"eeew\".

Plus when you\'ve played with VSL you\'ll notice you\'ll spend little to no time editing legato tracks to make them sound good. And that\'s precisely what I want, to play rather than spend hours editing! No other library on the market currently offers the same realism.

The thing is, no matter how many libraries I get, I will use something from each one time to time.

The VSL Performance Set is in a league of its own. It was a situation where I didn\'t think that I really needed it, but when I got it, I can\'t live without it. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

No matter what, I will always use the SAM horn staccatos and muted horns. They\'re just awesome. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

GOS in general is pretty solid. There are some things that could be improved, but that\'s the case for all libs anyway.

I use Kirk Hunters Violins and Basses in just about every piece since I got them. They\'re sweet in the upper register.

LOP is probably the best percussion lib TO DATE. I\'m ultra curious to hear more of the QLSO percussion though. (Timpani YESS!)

Dan Dean Alto flute has a wonderful sound, and it\'s easy to achieve realistic legato results when played right.

I can go on for pages, but the fact of the matter is even QLSO and VSL won\'t fill in all the missing nuances of a real performance. There are far too many! But from what I can tell, QLSO will have killer brass and percussion. (That\'s my main interest) VSL is world-class in it\'s legato ability. (I crapped my pants playing the solo C Trumpet)

Just my 6 cents...

Thanks Aaron and Lee....so, can a person use just the Performance set and combine it with other libraries?

oops, I just posted in the wrong thread, sorry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m with you Runyon, confused and still on the fence. I think I\'m leaning towards the VSL Performance Set. At this point it seems to me that QL is all about the ambience/space thing. VSL is all about the legato performance stuff. And that being said, I think with tools like Altiverb, the ambience problem can be solved pretty easily. The performance legato stuff can\'t really be faked in the mix. Playing the VSL trumpet demo was to me one of the most amazing out of body sample experiences ever. I\'ve been waiting to see how QL is going to handle that, and several people have asked, but it\'s never really been addressed how the legato stuff will be done in QL. If QL has some type of legato tool in the league of VSL, then I\'d probably buy it because then the ambience stuff is a bonus. If not I think the Performance Set is for me, and then augment it with my GOS and other stuff. Decisions, decisions.....

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

From the \"middle-aged guy who has been working with this stuff since college\" perspective:

Everything and nothing has changed in all those years. Music technology continues to put amazing choices before us, yet the music produced with the technology remains almost the same--meaning that it\'s still the witch, not the wand, that casts the spell. People are more or less as talented (or untalented) as ever, and brilliance is still in rare but sweet supply.

The very clear advantage of using a full orchestral collection is that you get a cohesive palette. The AO, Miroslav, and Roland libraries come to mind as the previous generation of this type of product, and of course VSL and EWQLSO are the currently hot items.

Personally, I don\'t \"seat\" a full orchestra for many tasks. I do a lot of decidedly orchestral work, just not what I\'d characterize as symphonic. So, I do pretty well with either the full collections or the section-specific products. But I always find myself using the full-collections even at that, since they have tended to be very high end, and have had outstanding content regardless of whether you use them in symphonic fashion. AO and Miroslav still get a lot of airplay right now, despite their relatively old age in our entropy-ridden field.

This post is suffering from a lack of caffiene, so I\'ll stop. I\'m boring myself to tears. I would say that orchestral \"collections\" have always been worthwhile in my experience, and that they have represented good value \"per sample\" even though they\'re obviously high priced due to their extreme size and production expense. An expansion of your palette is always a good thing, and the full orchestra products definitely give you a lot of inspiring color, no matter what you\'re already using.

...so, can a person use just the Performance set and combine it with other libraries?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I am also very interested in knowing the answer to this question.

Originally posted by Malo:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\"> ...so, can a person use just the Performance set and combine it with other libraries?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I am also very interested in knowing the answer to this question.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The Performance Set is a stand-alone product. It includes samples and a midi application that intervenes between your sequencer (midi input) and GigaStudio.

So what does the Cube offer that the Performance Set doesn\'t. In other words, if you can only buy one, which one do you buy first?

Go Back to forum