• Register
  • Help

Topic: A couple of questions

A couple of questions

So it's been a while since I've been to the forums. This semester's load has been absolutely brutal. I was wondering about a couple of things though.

1. It seems like I heard something about a new version of the Aria player somewhere. Is that available for download anywhere? I have whichever one came with GPO4 and World Instruments.

2. Is there any information on the next upcoming library?

3. Does anyone know of a good solo violin virtual instrument? I've searched all over the internet and to this day I still can't find anything that compares to the discontinued Stradivari. Unfortunately I didn't even know what virtual instruments were until 2008.

Re: A couple of questions

Good to see you here, Dane!

Yes, ARIA has been updated several times recently. There isn't any real advantage for users of GPO, JABB and CoMB, but all those Libraries will be updated soon, and at that time, users will need the newest ARIA. For now, the additional programming in ARIA is primarily for the new Pipe Organs Library.

All Garritan users need to be registered at Make Music. Once they are, on the Download page, all updates are listed, including the most recent publicly released version of ARIA:

Make Music Downloads (log in to access)

As always, there are several new Libraries in the works. Pipe Organs is of course still very new. Other Libraries in the Beta stage will be announced when public releases are more eminent.

Solo strings - There really aren't any as sophisticated in their programming as the discontinued Garritan Stradivari and Garritan Gofriller Cello. It looks to me like most people needing to feature solo violin are using the East West/Quantum Leap solo violin. Sounds good to me. I take it you've listened and aren't very impressed, since you said you can't find any that you feel are comparable to the Garritan Strad. But, it's what's out there, and really, I've heard perfectly fine recordings done with it.

That EWQL solo violin isn't as good as advertized. Search in their forum and find out that some notes aren't tuned that well as expected. I am a EWQL user but didn't find any need for downloading that solo violin yet. But never say, never.....

Thanks for the fast response!

The EWQL solo violin doesn't sound too bad but it's no Stradivari AND it looks like I need a dongle which is much cheaper than purchasing the full version of Kontakt for other options but still one of those annoying extra expenses. The 8DIO's Studio Solo Violin sounds pretty incredible and to me is one of the best that I've heard. I've also read good things about the solo violin that comes with East West's Gypsy library but I don't want to spend 400 bucks on a single virtual instrument.

It would be so much easier if we could get one from those Garritan devs. It would be cheaper, superior, and the support would be so much more reliable.

Go Back to forum