• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Road Not Taken (R. Frost)

Share/Bookmark

The Road Not Taken (R. Frost)

Some five years ago, we had a major poetry project at our High School. I was asked to select a vast number of recent and less recent poems and as many students as possible to perform these masterpieces. For that purpose, I put some poems to music, to be interpreted by a small students orchestra. I was lucky to find a good pianist (a professional now), a talented flute and oboe player, a bass player (she plays classic and jazz double bass and bass guitar and is a pro now) and an accordionist (teacher now). They performed extremely well during these five evenings. The girl singer was a little less good. Unfortunately, I only have a film recording of the whole project of which the sound quality is very poor. Here is a Garritan virtual recording (with choir voice). The song is of course rather simple, but keep in mind that is was for 15-, 16-year-olds.

The Road Not Taken

Re: The Road Not Taken (R. Frost)

What a wonderful post, Max. Thank you for telling us how this very nice piece of music came to be written. The poem is probably one of the most well known and beloved, a great source of inspiration. And now I'm picturing the talented young students performing this - and another accordion was included!--as in your fantastic post recently.

Bravo, Max - I love everything about this.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    What a wonderful post, Max. Thank you for telling us how this very nice piece of music came to be written. The poem is probably one of the most well known and beloved, a great source of inspiration. And now I'm picturing the talented young students performing this - and another accordion was included!--as in your fantastic post recently.

Bravo, Max - I love everything about this.

Randy
    Thank you, Randy. It's always been a pleasure working with young enthusiastic people. We had about 35 selected poems, all brought by students in a stage setting with sound engineer and light engineer being students as well. Next to that, a (students) jazz band played an own selection to bring us in the right mood between poems. We worked out a strict scenario. That was definitely one of the highlights in my educational career.
    (Most of the chosen poems were of course in Dutch, but some were in English (third language in Flanders)).

Have a nice weekend!

Max

Banned

the pastoral effect, Celtic in its character, is a magical touch. A beautiful way to embed poetry in a young person's mind. Who will forget The road not taken when paired with such a setting?

I could hear this played with a County Galway ensemble of high whislte, low flute, pipes and a squeezebox....it would lose nothing in translation.

Quote Originally Posted by passagio View Post
    the pastoral effect, Celtic in its character, is a magical touch. A beautiful way to embed poetry in a young person's mind. Who will forget The road not taken when paired with such a setting?

I could hear this played with a County Galway ensemble of high whislte, low flute, pipes and a squeezebox....it would lose nothing in translation.
    The way you phrased it, was exactly my intention when <I wrote it. The young people enjoyed it a lot. (Some of them do play in a Celtic ensemble...)
    Thanks for listening.

Go Back to forum