• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Money question! ( how much for tv ad music in the u.s. )

Share/Bookmark

Money question! ( how much for tv ad music in the u.s. )

Hi, i make jingles for tv and radio in Panama ( the country, not Panama, Fl ). The pay here is not so good, the most i could get for a jingle for tv or radio, is around 2000 dollars, that is the most, i sometimes find myself doing jingles for 500 bucks, anyway, i was wondering whats the ballpark $ for that kind of work in american tv and/or radio, for say, a 1 minute jingle? I would like as much info as i can get on this subject in general.

Re: Money question! ( how much for tv ad music in the u.s. )

hmm.. could be time to start looking at a different career move. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I did jingles in NYC for a while in the late 90s. There seemed to be plenty of 10k+ regional spots. There were plenty that were less as well. The client doesn\'t have to be pepsi to get to the 30-40k mark. Insurance companies, banks, candy, toys, or any national brand can easily be above the 20k mark. It depends on the client and your relationship with the ad agency producers and creatives.

By the way, as a composer working at a music house, I didn\'t see nearly that amount of money when all was said and done. Plus the competition is as fierce as it gets. Ad Agencies will call on a number of music houses to create music and there will be multiple composers within a music house competing for the same job. Agencies will be getting as many as 20 different submissions for a high profile ad campaign. For every one demo that goes final for you, you probably did 10-20 that never made it past demo. The money you make on finals has to last for a while.

What do you do now Mattzen? I know some people are doing music for games, and other sort of media stuff, but since i havent been doing this very long, i just started a couple of months ago, i would like to know which are the possibilities and differente opportunities for a midi composer/orchestrator these days?

Well, now I\'m in LA making my way as a composer scoring for film and TV. I also assist composer Danny Lux with his work on a regular basis. I\'ve never actually scored a game. I suppose I\'ve been sticking to the more traditional media (TV shows, shorts, documentaries, & indie features).

Hi!
    I have another question related to this topic: How do you get in contact with your clients? Is it \"from ear to ear\", or do you make publicity, or do you phone the companies, write letters?
    Markus.

Just to put my cynical two cents in:

The ad business is nasty! Advertising agency people are next to lawyers on my s#itlist. They generally have no sense of value for music and no loyalty whatsoever (except in rare cases). They enjoy getting their asses kissed way too much for my taste. Unfortunately, to add insult to injury, music library usage is rampant. And I honestly have to say that some of the canned music that I hear is actually really good. Go and listen to some demos from Killer Tracks and Gravity....it sounds great!
    Most national spots nowadays would prefer to use \"songs\" from Moby and the likes. Royalties are really poor unless you\'ve got a national spot in prime time.

If you\'re getting $500-$2k per spot in Panama pretty regularly, I\'d say stay in Panama and enjoy!

(side note)
    I\'m sure some lucky few around here make a good buck doing commercials and will probably dispute my statements....they might not realize it but they are the lucky exception and not the norm.

Hello Lee!
    Thank you for your reply, that\'s interesting - but don\'t worry I was just asking by couriosity, I don\'t really want to \"live\" from my music. I would just like to know how people do who live from their music. Composition is more like a hobby to me - I am teaching music to live. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Markus.

Originally posted by mattzen:
    Well, now I\'m in LA making my way as a composer scoring for film and TV. I also assist composer Danny Lux with his work on a regular basis. I\'ve never actually scored a game. I suppose I\'ve been sticking to the more traditional media (TV shows, shorts, documentaries, & indie features).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi, Mattzen. That\'s something I\'ve wondered about in the past, and something that so far as I\'ve seen isn\'t really taught at universities. How do you end up working with/for composers like that? I think it\'d be well worth the time to intern with an accomplished composer, and I hear of it happening alot, I\'ve just never heard of how things like that come to be. Is it simply networking, or are there other channels? If you don\'t mind my asking, how\'d you end up where you are working with Mr Lux? I ask because I\'m wrapping up things at school, and while I\'m following a few plans which will hopefully lead to a solid career one day, that is an aspect of things that I\'d like to know more about.

Thanks,
    mike

Go Back to forum