• Register
  • Help

Topic: Please use instant notification for new posts on your threads

Share/Bookmark

Please use instant notification for new posts on your threads

For newcomers and older Forum members alike:

When I came to check on this Support Forum this morning, I saw that my responses are the newest posts on all posts visible for the last month. People have asked questions but haven't followed up either with more questions or confirmations that their issues have been resolved.

One of the reasons for that is that not everyone has the Forum set up so they get instant email notification when new posts have gone up on either threads they've started or have been following. The result is to be out of the loop. Without notifications, the only way to see new posts is to go the Forum, use the Forum jump menu, and look for replies - and that's not very efficient. With notification, users can always keep up to date on conversation threads. Besides staying more up to date, the Forum's activity increases when more people are using notifications.

Here's how to insure that you always know when replies to your questions have been posted:

--In the top menu on every Forum's page, click Forum Actions>
    --Edit Profile>
    --General Settings>
    --Messaging and Notification>
    --Default Thread Subscription Mode>
    --choose "Instantly, using email."

Then you'll always know about current replies to your own threads, and new replies on any conversation you've been following.

NOTE: You must click the link to a thread that's included in the notification email. If you don't do that, you will be un-subscribed to that thread and be out of the loop again.

Please set that up so you can stay more involved, and the Forum can stay more active. Thanks.

Randy

Re: Please use instant notification for new posts on your threads

Hey Randy

This is a great suggestion. I had not realized that this was possible because the option is buried in the middle of the settings.

Thanks for the post

Jim

Re: Please use instant notification for new posts on your threads

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    Hey Randy
    This is a great suggestion. I had not realized that this was possible because the option is buried in the middle of the settings.
    Thanks for the post
    Jim
    Hey, Jim - Good deal, glad the info was helpful. I think a lot of people aren't aware of that - and I swear that a lot of Forum members aren't getting email notifications, and it's a major contributor to how slow the Forum is.

There's also the option on every thread when you're typing a response. When you scroll down beyond the "Submit Reply" and "Preview Post" buttons, there's the "Additional Options" section. The last option there is to set a subscription for that particular thread, and how you want to be notified. If you have the universal notification option turned on, as I described in my first post here, then those per-thread options will already be engaged for you. Trying to remember to always subscribe to a thread isn't very effective - Having the global option on is obviously much better. Then you could always selectively unsubscribe to a particular thread if you want to.

All I know is that I went through a period when the instant notificaitons option wasn't working - It was awful. I wasn't aware of so many replies - I lost track of too many conversations.

Thanks, Jim.

Randy

Go Back to forum