• Register
  • Help

Topic: The 64 Bit Question.

Share/Bookmark

The 64 Bit Question.

I was checking out posts about DP8 at the MOTUNATION Forum and the old 64 bit vs 32 bit collision of the worlds scenario came up.

So if your DAW is 64 bit then you can't use a plugin that is 32 bit unless you use a compatibility utility or it's built into the DAW?

Iv'e read Garritan forum posts that say Aria and the Garritan Steinway engines are 64 bit but I see their stand alone players comes up as 32 bit with the Mac OSX Utility Monitor. I can't or don't know how to test the plugins so maybe they are 64 bit?

Just wondering about this. Is there really nothing to worry about or is Alfred E. in denial.

Any rocket scientists in the room?

Re: The 64 Bit Question.

On OS X you can specify an application to start in 32 or 64 (if the two architectures are available in the binary of course)
    The application developer decides through its Info.plist in the app what the default is, but you can easily change it:

http://www.simplehelp.net/2009/09/15...in-32-bit-mode
    (but do the inverse)

This applies to ARIA Player. For Steinway you might have to wait for the 1.05 update.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

And for folks on Windows who may be contemplating the same issues - There are both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of ARIA that are available on the same installer. I have icons on my desktop for ARIA stand-alone 32 bit, and another for 64 bit - I can choose whichever I want to use.

Usually I work with ARIA in Sonar, and that's straight forward too. I have both the 32 bit Sonar and 64 bit Sonar, and in their master folders, each version has its own VST folder. Plug-ins that are strictly 64 bit, I keep in the appropriate folder, and the same for 32 bit plug-ins. When I want to scan the VST folder to update Sonar, for the 64 bit program, I have the two locations listed for the scan - the folder in Program Files (64 bit) and Program Files (x86)-(which is 32 bit.) When I have the 32 bit Sonar scan for plug-ins, it only needs to look in that one VST folder inside its own master program folder.

Basically, pointing out to Windows users that you get both flavors of ARIA when you install it, and then it's fairly simple to keep straight which one to use where.

Randy

Here's a 2010 article from Sound On Sound about moving to 64 bit computing.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov1...les/64-bit.htm

Go Back to forum