• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Brass and false economies. Real agony!

Share/Bookmark

Brass and false economies. Real agony!

This is terrible. I\'m one of those poor souls that hops about from one foot to the other.

I\'m about to buy the SAM bundle, but I keep reading about, and hearing the demos of, VSL brass. They\'re both damned good, as you all know. I love the sound of SAM - it\'s consistently great across all of the demos. Yet I\'m worried that purchasing SAM might be a false economy. Horns and trombones for around 200 UK pounds seems like a good deal, but I could get the full VSL brass family plus woodwinds for 800 or even 600 for the first edition.

I\'m sure you all think it\'s best to get both eventually. But I\'m rebuilding my entire studio from scratch, and I can\'t afford a false step. I\'d love to spend 200 on SAM, but my budget is so tightly scheduled, I can\'t afford to experiment.

I\'m going bloody crazy here!!!

Cheers to you all.
    Heath (aka Not Dudley Simpson)

Re: Brass and false economies. Real agony!

Even though the vsl brass is good... the vsl horns are not as hollywood\'esque or powerful as the sam Horns. You cant go wrong with either the sam horns or trombones. They are top notch

King said a very wise thing once, someone asked; \"EWQLSO or VSL?\" and he replied; \"Both\"

For the money, you absolutely cannot go wrong with Sam. The lib\'s are obscenely cheap for what you get.

Buy Sam, you\'ll always use it.

SAM Horns and Bones for your music:

They are like rice to Asians and pasta to Italians.

The meal just isn\'t complete without them.

Nhick

Thanks Scott and Jazzhole. That\'s praise indeed for SAM brass considering that VSL seems to give far greater buck-per-sample value.

I feel SAM\'s gravity pulling me. Tricky though. At times like this, I wonder, in my wibbly-wobbly way, what Jerry Goldsmith would do... apart from just booking the LA Philharmonic of course.

Actually, does anyone know what he uses for mock-ups? Or Elfman or Zimmer etc? Are they SAM-men, or Venetians, or EWQLSO-ers? Come to that, I wouldn\'t mind knowing what they use in their studios in general - monitors, outboard, software, coffee machines... Anyone know?

Cheers
    Heath (aka Not Dudley Simpson)

Get the SAM stuff...

Ewen if you allready had the VSL, I would still say get Sam horns and bones, since nothing out there sounds like it..maybe QLSO brass, but that is another story alltogether.

Alex

Thanks Nhick and Lex. SAM really seems to be scoring points around here. Maybe it\'s the case that SAM is a great standalone, while the VSL stuff only really ignites with the performance set.

Lex, why is QLSO another story? Is it really that good?

I absolutely to have agree with the earlier posts.... SAM horns are the way to go! Maarten and his crew did a fantastic job creating this library! You will find SAM horn extremely well recorded and the numerous articulations make them a \"must have\" for your sample library collection. You\'ll really be glad you purchased SAM horns! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Gary

Hi! my opinion - SAM horns and Trombones are the best Massive sounding Brasses on the market. I using them as often as I can BUT when you need slow nice mellow horn passage SAM is not the best way (my opinion...) in this cases I using DanDeansSoloBrass French horn and trombone- especially French horn is great in quiet passages very Nice mellow sound.

(excuse my english)

Don´t mind about what Sample library using elfman, zimmer and other hollywood composers- they simply have all libryries on the market and the main thing is that They have tons of their own recorded samples ....because They can afford it

Go Back to forum