• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: The Wise Tomcat - Greek Dance (song)

Share/Bookmark

The Wise Tomcat - Greek Dance (song)

As promised (to Randy), here is one piece from the musical "The Wise Tomcat". It was originally designed (in 2001) for midi instruments, but this is a reworked version with GPO. In this little dance song, the performers referred to (old) Greek situations to save the king's finances (very actual indeed, but vice versa...) Hence, I chose a kind of Greek dance (sung by the tomcat's owner - who advised the king at a certain stage in the play).

version 1.: instruments: mandolin, guitar, piano, cello: GPO; bass, percussion (tambourine): LSO
    Recorded with Notion 3

1. GreekDance

2. GreekDance-midi

The second version was recorded in 2001, with only the Roland JV-1010 midi module.

Cheers,
    Max

Re: The Wise Tomcat - Greek Dance (song)

Hi Max,

The times I do manage to visit the forum, I try to listen to at least one posted piece.

This is lovely! It's elegant, happy and characteristic. I could see the dancers in my mind. Very enjoyable.

(A list of the instrumentation you used would be good.)

Thanks for posting.
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Ah! There's the Greek Dance that I enjoyed just a little earlier this morning. That was a good idea, Max, to delete your first posting of this which was piggybacking on another thread, and post it on its own thread.

This sounds just great! It captures Greek folk music so well, with a boost of sophistication from your musically informed talent. This show must have been so much fun for the performers as well as the audience. Wonderful - Thanks for re-working your MIDI tracks - obviously this must sound better than with the sound sources you originally used.

I like Yjoh's request for an instrument list - This has GPO, but other instruments too - from other Garritan Libraries - or--?

Nice work - Thanks, Max.

Randy

Now you can see how the Europeans endure the Greek financial tragedy......

Great and joyful and lovely made,

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Ah! There's the Greek Dance that I enjoyed just a little earlier this morning. That was a good idea, Max, to delete your first posting of this which was piggybacking on another thread, and post it on its own thread.

This sounds just great! It captures Greek folk music so well, with a boost of sophistication from your musically informed talent. This show must have been so much fun for the performers as well as the audience. Wonderful - Thanks for re-working your MIDI tracks - obviously this must sound better than with the sound sources you originally used.

I like Yjoh's request for an instrument list - This has GPO, but other instruments too - from other Garritan Libraries - or--?

Nice work - Thanks, Max.

Randy
    I used a couple of instruments from the new Finale/Garritan library (mandolin and acoustic guitar). Bass and tambourine are from LSO.

Thanks for your kind comment and for taking the time to listen!

Max

For comparison reasons and to illustrate that old midi wasn't always that bad, I've posted the 2001 midi recording next to the GPO version (see first entry of this thread).

Don't hesitate to try a sirtaki...

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    For comparison reasons and to illustrate that old midi wasn't always that bad, I've posted the 2001 midi recording next to the GPO version (see first entry of this thread).

Don't hesitate to try a sirtaki...

Max
    Nice update, Max. When you say the new MP3 is the old MIDI recording, do you remember what the sound source was? MIDI is data, so literally speaking, your new GPO recording of this song is also MIDI - but with GPO as the sound source instead of synths. Was this a General MIDI module of some sort? - It sounds fine, very pretty - it seems like the data was more quantized, and maybe you loosened up the timing for the GPO version?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Nice update, Max. When you say the new MP3 is the old MIDI recording, do you remember what the sound source was? MIDI is data, so literally speaking, your new GPO recording of this song is also MIDI - but with GPO as the sound source instead of synths. Was this a General MIDI module of some sort? - It sounds fine, very pretty - it seems like the data was more quantized, and maybe you loosened up the timing for the GPO version?

Randy
    Hi Randy,

As indicated, version 2. is the midi recording. The first version (1.) has nothing to do with the old midi capture. I rewrote the whole lot with Notion 3 and recorded the score as mentioned in the first item of this thread. There are slight differences (not with the notes): a different piano (the first one was detuned, the more recent one isn't, a different guitar, a synthetic cello...). The midi version was recorded with Finale 2000 and Roland JV-1010 sound module.
    The JV-1010 has General midi, but also a lot of very specific banks. It was a hell of a job to get everything noted down properly in Finale at that time.

Max

Lightbulb Re: The Wise Tomcat - Greek Dance (song)

It would feel a bit more comfortable to provide some more examples (in midi with the SCC1 and the JV-1010). Imagine a 18-century castle with intrigues of kings and noblemen, politicians and royal advisors... Very recognisable indeed. And a simple boy with his clever tomcat solves all the problems (was at first hired in to kill the 'rats') and becomes the new king. Remember this is an allegoric story. In the end, he marries his impossible love Antoinette and starts governing the new realm in a very simple way. Isn't it sweet?

In total there were 23 songs, performed by a selection of the best drama players the city of Izegem (Flanders/Belgium), selected from all the drama societies in town. A unique and unseen cooperation!

All these recordings were produced with the above mentioned midi modules (in 2001). The original idea was that real musicians would perform the music live on stage, but it appeared that there was no money left to pay them. Therefore, I had to make these mid files and record them with the Roland machines...

1. Song of the tomcat
    2. March
    3. Song of the Barones
    4. Opening song of Antoinette
    5. Love Song of Jonathan and Antoinette

Enjoy the listening!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Randy,

As indicated, version 2. is the midi recording. The first version (1.) has nothing to do with the old midi capture. I rewrote the whole lot with Notion 3 and recorded the score as mentioned in the first item of this thread. There are slight differences (not with the notes): a different piano (the first one was detuned, the more recent one isn't, a different guitar, a synthetic cello...). The midi version was recorded with Finale 2000 and Roland JV-1010 sound module.
    The JV-1010 has General midi, but also a lot of very specific banks. It was a hell of a job to get everything noted down properly in Finale at that time.

Max
    --Right, I understand the 2nd one is what you're calling the MIDI recording. What I was trying to say is that what's a bit confusing is that both of these, all of our recordings are MIDI recordings. It's the sound source that varies so much. Your 2nd version is with the Roland sound module, and the 1st version is also a MIDI recording, only using GPO as the sound source. That was the distinction I was trying to make.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast