• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinberg/EW

Share/Bookmark

Steinberg/EW

Hi. Quick question.. I recently purchased Steinberg\'s HAlion String Edition and am enjoying it. I\'m wondering exactly which one is better.. HAlion Strings or the EWQLSO? and in which ways? Even though the EW -SO isn\'t out yet, i\'m sure someone knows something about it. Thanks in Advance.

Can anyone give me any advice on sound cards also? I\'ve got the MM Audiophile 2496 at the moment. It doesn\'t give me multi-track capabilities, so i need to buy something else. I can\'t decide whether to go with RME or Lynx. Which one would be a better buy? Thanks again.

Re: Steinberg/EW

Hey Switchfoot,

While I haven\'t heard the halion strings myself I haven\'t heard good things about them. I\'m eagerly anticipating the release of EWQLSO as well. (I was hoping I could hear it before VSL Pro edition comes out)

As to the audio card, I just bought a RME 96/8 PAD and it works beautifully. No complaints with RME.

Ben Ripley

I tried the HALion strings during Musikmesse and I have to disagree with you. Most cheap synth\'s have better programmed and warmer sounding strings PCM-sounds built-in. The first word that came to my mind while I was playing with HALion String was: unrealistic. I heard EW QLSO at NAMM and was very impressed; Nicks demo blew me out of my chair. The surround experience was ground breaking.
    Soundcard: why not try the M-Audio multi output cards. Their 1010 Delta cards are very good. See the signal flow below.

Thanks for your reply Michiel. Considering this is my first collection of Strings, i went with Steinberg, because i\'ve never really had any problems with them. What are your thoughts on Steinberg\'s The Grand? I purchased that also. It\'s basically giving me the sound that i need at the moment, but i\'m sure it could be a lot better. Thanks again.

I guess we all hear differently. I liked the HALion Strings enough to decide to represent them at Truespec. Certainly they\'re not ground breaking like EW/QLSO will be (that\'s a bit of an apples and oranges comparison as I see it), but they are a good place to start to learn to handle the first steps in string writing and scoring. In fact, I liked them enough to include them in our Writing For Strings course applications comments section.

They\'re value priced, and I think a good place to start, not only for scoring, but learning how to \"realize\" an electronic representation of your score.

If you use HALion Strings inside Kontakt as a standalone program, you should be able to trigger the sounds from Finale or Sibelius.

Oops! I guess my words came out too hard. Sorry if I was negative about the HALion stuff; it just didn\'t feel like a real break-trough. As Peter says; it\'s ok for a start though. Also the price tag is interesting.

The GRAND; same story; I will compare every piano with my own products, so I\'m extremely biased. The GRAND has serious problems; tuning to name one. Stability to name another. Again, it may be a nice start if you want to have a piano sound. I just don\'t like it. The piano they sampled doesn\'t sound right. The sample they used is from a KAWAI grand piano (if my information is correct - which it usually is).

We will bring out our piano libraries in a plug-in format soon. The basic idea of having a piano as a stand-alone virtual instrument is great. You can expect some major announcements by us in the next weeks...

Michiel Post

While I agree that Halion Strings is not the top of the heap in the realism catagory, it really seems to shine in a pop context. The strings seems to fit the pop genre sonically and are well suited for that slick L.A. production sound.

I would also agree with Peter that the lib is great for an intro to midi orchestration...and cheap too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thanks a lot for your comments. Which piano should i purchase if i\'m wanting to use it on stage with my Korg and laptop? What options will the EWQLSO have? Will it have some kind of automated system as to changing bow direction while playing fast riffs or will i have to use different sounds for every other note? What do you all have to say about Steinberg\'s Vitual Guitarist and their Lm4 MarkII?

Originally posted by switchfoot:
    Thanks a lot for your comments. Which piano should i purchase if i\'m wanting to use it on stage with my Korg and laptop? What options will the EWQLSO have? Will it have some kind of automated system as to changing bow direction while playing fast riffs or will i have to use different sounds for every other note? What do you all have to say about Steinberg\'s Vitual Guitarist and their Lm4 MarkII?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">What questions! Do you need help writing your term paper, too?

Seriously, I haven\'t heard MIchiel\'s, so I can\'t comment. But I do think that the Malmsjo piano is quite excellent (Hans Adamson) and in the Kontakt format, I rather like Kip\'s Bosendorfer. The thing about Bardstown is that if you have Kontakt on your system, you can connect a master keyboard controller to your laptop, and since Kontakt operates as a stand alone, just play.

You can do that with Giga on a laptop too, although there are some specs issues.

Although not asked about, Tom Scarbye\'s Fender Rhodes \'73 would also be a knock-out. It\'s superb.

Honestly, for the 4 zillionith time, we haven\'t heard the EW/QLSO so no one can comment.

Virtual Guitarist is excellent for production purposes. So is the LM 4 MKII. It\'s difficult to comment since you haven\'t described what your production purposes are.

Well i had a few questions to ask(last post) that people had asked me which i couldn\'t answer, so i thought why not just ask them all at once.

I\'ve read a few posts concerning the EW-SO and really didn\'t get any info concerning well anything so i thought i might ask. I\'ll stay off it untill it comes out.

I produce a few different styles, Since my country has a serious lack of christian music in our language. I produce pop, rock, instrumentals and tracks for songs that churches use. At the moment i don\'t have multi-track capabilities so i can\'t record drums.

Does anyone know anything about Lynx sound cards? LynxTWO-C.

I\'m fairly new to this studio production stuff(started under 2 years ago), so forgive me if i ask stupid questions.

Go Back to forum