• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: KVM Switchers for more than 6 computers??

Share/Bookmark

KVM Switchers for more than 6 computers??

I am curious what KVM switchers other composers are using for studios that exceed 6 computers. I currently have a 4 channel Belkin, but need to look at something else now. Can you chain switchers together, or what models do you recommend for 6-8 computers?

Thanks,

Colin

Re: KVM Switchers for more than 6 computers??

I currently use a 4-port KVM from Trendware. I might need to expand that to an 8-port though, and I think I\'ll try their 8-port version. I have had no problems with it EXCEPT I simply couldnt get it working with an MSI nForce2 motherboard - connection to the mouse didn\'t work properly. I don\'t think there are any 4-ports that you can chain, maybe the new rackmount version they did. But you can chain their 8-port ones. Check this link. http://www.trendware.com/products/TK-800R.htm

Originally posted by scores4film:
    I am curious what KVM switchers other composers are using for studios that exceed 6 computers. I currently have a 4 channel Belkin, but need to look at something else now. Can you chain switchers together, or what models do you recommend for 6-8 computers?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">With most of the Belkin 4 port models, you can chain up to 4 together ( 16 ports) but I think you need to chain the same models. I have an old Belkin with a PSU so to chain another, I\'d have to find another old one.
    When they are chained they work like a 4x4 matrix, so currently you would press [Scroll lock][scroll lock] 1,2 to get PC 2. When chained, you aould type [Scroll lock][scroll lock] 2, 1 to get PC 5 etc.

Brian

IOGEAR!!!

Me and KVM boxes don\'t seem to get along. I went through three different brands and just wound up giving them away and in one case, I destroyed one I was so pissed at its incompetence. I wanted to make sure no other human would ever go through the torture it put me through.

I think its just me. I\'m cursed or something with KVM boxes. They simply don\'t like me. The only way I could get any work done was to have a mouse and keybaord for each computer and switch the monitors with an old click switch box.

Then along comes a Godsend called IOGEAR to save the day.

I\'m having no problems with it at all. I figure if I can use it, it must be good.

Cheers
    Dave

I\'ve been using the 8 port Ominview for a few years. Other than losing the mouse (when you move the mouse to quickly after switching) every once in a while it works great. I recently tried upgrading to 2x8 matrix, and it hasn\'t worked correctly yet - still talking with belkin tech support.

Dave, does IOGear make a 2x8 switch?

Either IOGear fixed the problems in their current model or you had a defective unit, Mr. Furst. My 4-port Miniview has worked flawlessly from day one.

Originally posted by David Govett:
    IOGEAR!!!

Me and KVM boxes don\'t seem to get along. I went through three different brands and just wound up giving them away and in one case, I destroyed one I was so pissed at its incompetence. I wanted to make sure no other human would ever go through the torture it put me through.

I think its just me. I\'m cursed or something with KVM boxes. They simply don\'t like me. The only way I could get any work done was to have a mouse and keybaord for each computer and switch the monitors with an old click switch box.

I\'m having no problems with it at all. I figure if I can use it, it must be good.

Cheers
    Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I second the vote for IOGEAR...using a miniView ULTRA 8 port PS2....no worries, no problems....4 Shuttle PCs running QLSO, 1 Giga box, and 1 old school G4 500 tied in with no problems at all....BTW Thanks Dave for hipping me to IOGEAR in a previous post I had with the same question...299.99 with a 100.00 rebate at Fry\'s here in Burbank.

CD

I am happy to post my experience with IOGEAR.

I have the miniview SE 4 port C series , and it not only works great, but looks cool too. Although I do not have the 8 port, the brand IOGEAR is top notch! I like the simple set up with just using hot key Ctrl Ctrl and swithching without any latency or keyboard/monitor/mouse issues. I am running a wireless keyboard an mouse solution and love it. I higly recommend IOGEAR

IOGEAR works great for me as well...

Originally posted by David Govett:
    IOGEAR!!!

Cheers
    Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s funny. IOGear was the only KVM that was a complete train wreck for me!
    I couldn\'t get that M-F-ing thing to work at all...finally had to go to a belkin.

Go Back to forum