• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: John Rekevics Saxophone Library: Bigga Giggas Tenor Sax released

Share/Bookmark

John Rekevics Saxophone Library: Bigga Giggas Tenor Sax released

The John Rekevics Saxophone Library: Bigga Giggas Tenor Sax. This cd is the first volume of a 4 part complete solo sax library: Baritone, Tenor, Alto, Soprano. All instruments are classic, vintage Selmer Mark VI model played by John Rekevics. Individual instruments will sell at M.S.R.P. $95.00 \"Bundle\" price M.S.R.P. will be $340.00 Target date for the complete \"Bundle\" release is mid-2003. Registered Owners of the first 3 parts will be allowed to purchase the final cd at half-price directly from Bigga Giggas for 90 days after the release of the final cd. These are true User playable sample instruments, not \"licks\" loops. The Bigga Giggas Tenor Sax cd contains over 500 megabytes of source samples in a single, easy to understand Gig file. Separate Stereo & Mono versions of each instrument are included, totalling 16 Stereo & 16 Mono instrument choices. All instrument presets are multi-velocity, full envelope, no loops. Every note of the instrument range is sampled, rather than chromatic 3rds or other compromises. Voicings include Smooth, Vibrato, Staccato, Sforzando, Growls, Flutters, Falls 1 & 2, and SubTones (breathy sax). Crossfade Presets provide a change from Smooth to true vibrato samples using the ModWheel. Keyswitch Presets provide all voicings within a single instrument choice.

You can listen to demos here and here

You can buy it online at Bigga Giggas

Re: John Rekevics Saxophone Library: Bigga Giggas Tenor Sax released

Hi,

Like I said before, these demos need to be longer and I\'d like to see that Tenor or Alto in a quartet setting. There will be lots to say if this is a success.

The very best!!

Alan Russell

Hi,
    these demos are not convincing. The way sustained notes are held is not typical of a horn player :
    -vibrato and slight pitch variations are very important elements of a good midi simulation (not included in these demos)
    -a much freer interpretation of the melody with little improvised licks would help make it sound real.
    Hopefully, it is only a problem with the demos and not with the library...
    Also the rhythm track of demo #2 contributes to a very artificial feel. If it\'s meant to be jazz/R\'B, a nice, lose groove would help.

Making a sample CD with saxophone samples is sticking your neck out a bit.
    Some instruments are harder to emulate with a sampled instrument then other. Instruments like a piano is probably among the more easy to make and emulate, probably that’s why we have so many sampled pianos around. Instruments where you actually form the tone, timbre and articulation with your mouth and lungs are much harder to do, simply because the variety of timbre you can achieve. If you also take an instrument that is so connected with music that have a more “loose” playing style like Jazz, you are in for a real challenge.
    It’s my opinion that we probably never, ever can emulate a saxophone player 100%. You can make a sample-cd with phrases, but then you would be locked to those phrases.
    What the producers behind this samples have tried to do, is to make the best & biggest saxophone library available today, within the boundaries of what is possible to emulate and continue to have a playable instrument.
    It’s my opinion that there can be better demos made with these samples, and there will be.
    But please don’t think that you can, to 100%, emulate a real, good saxplayer that plays semi ad-lib riffs, because you can’t, and you probably never can do with any samples and today’s technology.
    There are several articulations on the CD together with two different microphone settings and the demos only show 2-3 different ones, so you can do more than this.
    So, just hang on for a while for more demos....

Personally I\'d prefere to hear the instruments without any others (piano, drums) around, like Kirk Hunter did it with the solo strings.

boy, these sequences scream \"white boy\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hahaha

I have to agree tho. There is no feel. Its like a quantized performance with no CC11 at all. Worra, the next few demos atleast need some of that.

I\'m sure the lib sounds great tho. I mean demo\'s aren\'t exactly all telling about EVERY aspct of the lib. As well these just seem to show that whoever did the demos forgot about some MIDI capabilities.

Yeah, but a sample developer has the luxury of creating a demo which can highlight all the good aspects of a library while covering up all the bad ones. The demo can be in any style they choose to make it shine to its maximum potential, and they, better than anybody, know all the intiricasies of the samples so they can really squeeze the most out of them. When they can\'t even make a library demo sound good with those significant advantages in their favor, it really makes you scratch your head and wonder.
    -Hudson

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    I\'m sure the lib sounds great tho. I mean demo\'s aren\'t exactly all telling about EVERY aspct of the lib. As well these just seem to show that whoever did the demos forgot about some MIDI capabilities. [/QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

I disagree... these still sound like the same cheesy patches you get with any Roland synth since the early 90\'s... As a saxophone player, I gotta say that these are just terrible sounding and the demos are really bad too... maybe they might sit in a section but as solo instruments, wowsers... No offense as this is probably the hardest instrument to recreate in samples, but I agree with Lee.... it should be illegal!!

Originally posted by Sharmy:
    I don\'t think that is the case here. The stuff which are not saxes don\'t sound good, so why should the saxes sound good. It\'s the painter and not the paint that is the problem here. There may be a problem with some of the paint but I really don\'t think we can tell untill it\'s in the hands of a good painter.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Hey! Give Worra a chance!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

According to the specs there are lot of articulations so let\'s see what the next demoes shows.

It is VERY hard to sample AND make a good sax demo. I haven\'t heard \"Candy\" from Yellowtools yet, but otherwise Worras sax is probably the most sofisticated yet.

I\'ll might be interested in getting this myself as it will probably take years before I dare to sample a sax...

spirits up, Worra [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Worra,
    I volunteer to try to make you a decent demo. Based on the articulations listed at your site and some, though definitely not all, of what I\'m hearing from the demos posted, there may be some good possibilities in this library. I do think the vibrato sounds lame though, unless you\'re going for a Kenny G sound.

regards,
    Arch.

Go Back to forum