• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria, I can not start it

Share/Bookmark

Aria, I can not start it

I gave up on Giga, just got GPO 4.02.
    Followed instruction to install it. The authorization of Aria is a problem. I can not even get the Aria panel to show up in order to drag the "card" over it. I can not see an .exe file anywhere. What did I do wrong?

Re: Aria, I can not start it

I haven't registered in a long time but, as I remember you need to drag a registration file onto the aria exe file. I would think the best way to resolve this problem is to go to MakeMusic and ask for tech support. I am sure they will straighten it out for you.

I'm sorry that I can't be more helpful than this comment.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I just checked and www.garritan.com is still running and there support page may be of help to you.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Is this something to do with this problem?

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...layer-Download

I'm happy to say Ted has resolved his problem. He sent me a PM, and it sounded to me like he was trying to run ARIA/GPO before installing it. I gave him a few instructions, and he's PMd again to say he's now up and running.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I'm happy to say Ted has resolved his problem. He sent me a PM, and it sounded to me like he was trying to run ARIA/GPO before installing it. I gave him a few instructions, and he's PMd again to say he's now up and running.

Randy
    Yes, thanks Randy, I am up and running, you helped a lot.
    One more question (maybe a lot more later) from a new user:
    I have a touch -sensitive keyboard,(M-Audio Keystation 64). It looks to me that Aria does not respond to Velocity. Is this possible? Sonar X1 is sending different velocities alright, but Aria's note sounds the same at a velocity of 12 or 127?! Do I have some set-up problem? The mod wheel is of course changing volume and sounds fine.
    How do people, who run Aria in the standalone mode and in a live performance, control the volume (velocity) when both hands are on the keyboard?
    (I am running it as VST, and, to show more of my ignorance, no, I did not try to run it before installing it, it was installed, but as VST, I had to start it from Sonar X1, set up the scanning and then it all worked like a charm, dhaaa.)
    Sorry about these questions, I am new to this "aria"..
    Thanks again Randy

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    ...I have a touch -sensitive keyboard,(M-Audio Keystation 64). It looks to me that Aria does not respond to Velocity... The mod wheel is of course changing volume and sounds fine.
    How do people, who run Aria in the standalone mode and in a live performance, control the volume (velocity) when both hands are on the keyboard?...
    Hi, Ted - GPO has a very good and thorough manual that you'll need to start looking through. One thing the manual explains in detail is that Garritan Libraries aren't programmed according to standard MIDI spec, and how it deals with volume is the major difference:

--Velocity doesn't control the volume in GPO, except for the percussion instruments, including piano.

--What Velocity Does control is the attack time of the envelope. Lower velocities produce a slightly slower, softer start of notes, higher velocities produces a more instant, sharper attack.

--Volume is controlled by either CC1, as you've noted, or CC11 - Aria interprets both of those controllers in the same way.

--GPO isn't used very often in live situations, since its focus is on monophonic solo instruments, but it can be. Using an Expression Pedal, which generates CC11, a musician can have both hands on a keyboard if needed. But most of the time, GPO calls for one hand playing, the left hand on the Mod Wheel.

Since you're using ARIA in Sonar, the best way to work with your MIDI tracks is to record multiple passes, as many as you want, recording all the controllers you want in separate passes over the track. There's no need, in fact it's usually much more of a hassle than it's worth, to try and record notes and volume data at the same time.

Have fun with it - and crack open that manual!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Ted - GPO has a very good and thorough manual that you'll need to start looking through. One thing the manual explains in detail is that Garritan Libraries aren't programmed according to standard MIDI spec, and how it deals with volume is the major difference:

--Velocity doesn't control the volume in GPO, except for the percussion instruments, including piano.

--What Velocity Does control is the attack time of the envelope. Lower velocities produce a slightly slower, softer start of notes, higher velocities produces a more instant, sharper attack.

--Volume is controlled by either CC1, as you've noted, or CC11 - Aria interprets both of those controllers in the same way.

--GPO isn't used very often in live situations, since its focus is on monophonic solo instruments, but it can be. Using an Expression Pedal, which generates CC11, a musician can have both hands on a keyboard if needed. But most of the time, GPO calls for one hand playing, the left hand on the Mod Wheel.

Since you're using ARIA in Sonar, the best way to work with your MIDI tracks is to record multiple passes, as many as you want, recording all the controllers you want in separate passes over the track. There's no need, in fact it's usually much more of a hassle than it's worth, to try and record notes and volume data at the same time.

Have fun with it - and crack open that manual!

Randy
    Thanks again, and will open the manual. And, again, my apologies. I just realized who you are and I am sorry to bother you with my questions.
    Thanks and I understand GPO a little more.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Thanks again, and will open the manual. And, again, my apologies. I just realized who you are and I am sorry to bother you with my questions.
    Thanks and I understand GPO a little more.

Ted
    Hey, Ted - I'm just an active member here at the Garritan Forum - I'm glad to help out with questions when I have an idea what a good answer might be. So, trust me, you're doing fine with your posts - Glad I've been able to be helpful.

Randy

Go Back to forum