• Register
  • Help

Topic: Apple's Gatekeeper

Share/Bookmark

Apple's Gatekeeper

Here's a link to instructions on how to disable Apple's OSX 10.7.& 10.8 Gatekeeper security feature. Gatekeeper only allows Apple App Store applications and Apple authorized applications to be installed. Unfortunately, smaller developer's applications may be locked out. This shows you how to disable GateKeeper or allow the installation an application that Gatekeeper is blocking.

I would recommend not permanently disabling Gatekeeper.

http://onsoftware.en.softonic.com/ho...-mountain-lion

Re: Apple's Gatekeeper

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    ... Gatekeeper only allows Apple App Store applications and Apple authorized applications to be installed. Unfortunately, smaller developer's applications may be locked out...
    Seriously? wow - OK, another reason to not like Apple!

Randy

Upon further investigation Apple's Gatekeeper shouldn't be a problem for any developer except for those that develop viruses and malware. Despite some grumblings, they just need to get up to speed with their business practices .

I checked out Apple's developer site and it looks to me like anyone who wants to can register as an Apple developer.

I didn't see any fees except for instructional videos that one might want to order.

The idea of having to register with Apple may rile those with an independent streak but Apple only charges $19.99 for a new version of their OS and they could be trying to keep software security costs to a minimum and also avoid the havoc viruses and malware can create for the user.

Phil

As a very, very, long time computer enthusiast hobbyist, which includes writing my own software, I have a definite bias which is coloured by my background, but the concept leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I am thoroughly disgusted by how it has been taken all the way on iOS (iPhones, iPads, etc.) and the App Store. I am furthermore bothered by how Microsoft is taking the exact same steps with Windows 8. Pretty soon I won't be able to buy a computer which is MY computer anymore, but theirs which I'm just renting. Or at least, not without jumping through some hoops.

I get it. People want convenience, and don't want to have to worry about maintaining the security of their own computer. But placing the decision of what can and cannot go into your computer in the hands of one company doesn't sit well with me. There have already been some incidences with the App Store and certain programs being denied (or pulled off the store)... nothing illegal happening, and certainly in line with the promoting the company's profits, but in my opinion dirty business practices. Hence why I vote with my wallet, and, as I have stated before, refuse to buy Apple. Many other people, judging by the number of iPhones floating around, aren't as bothered by it, or unaware, or just don't care...

At least in OSX... and Windows 8... it remains optional... for the time being...

I hate car analogies sometimes, but well... would you buy a car where if you had to get a part for it (say, air filter, or a light bulb, or something), it HAD to be purchased from the dealer's store? Whether it was manufactured by said manufacturer or someone else (who of course, has to get approval from the manufacturer to sell it through their store). Oh, and the dealer has to install the part for you... something about the hood being sealed shut and only they can get into it. (Maybe a good mechanic with the right know how and tools could get into it, but it would be possibly illegal [at least in Canada right now with the recent laws which have been passed, jailbreaking a phone is in a grey area]).

Now, if it was a good enough car and the service was good enough, I guess most people wouldn't care. But since I am to computers/electronics as a mechanic is to cars, if I were a mechanic, I sure as heck wouldn't want to own a car like that. But if every car manufacturer is going that way... I'd be upset.

As I am right now.

I'm going to shut up before I say too much.
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum