• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Let Them Eat Cake

Let Them Eat Cake

Some of you might know from my previous posts that I\'m a bit sensitive about feeling ripped off by sample developers.

Well, I just went to the VSL sight, where I read a post about the cross-grading options from Giga to EXS24 (something I\'ve been looking into as well). According to the post, the \"fair\" price that\'s been figured is no less than 50% of the retail price. So, those of us who bought VSL for giga hoping to get the EXS version when it came out now get decide if it\'s worth an extra $1500 (+/-).

Pretty offensive. A big pet peeve of mine is feeling like I\'m being nickeled and dimed to death.

Many quickly use the arguement in general discussions about piracy/etc ( a fav topic around these parts):
    \"Your not purchasing the storage media, your purchasing the license to use the samples.\"

It seems they use this cue-card defense with the cross-grade prices tucked under the soap box.

Well, so much for that well-worn bellyache.

What does everyone else think? Am I being unreasonable?

Here is the Thread I\'m talking about.

http://235.deatech.at/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=726&sid=9bf205226377909d2c19916c45 e75d7c

Re: Let Them Eat Cake

Can\'t you just convert it from Giga to EXS24 using Chickensys Translator?

Since it takes quite some time to program something like VSL in EXS, I think it\'s fair to let you pay for that. But I can\'t believe that 2/3 of the investment they\'ve put in VSL is spent programming the sounds. If that is true though, it\'s fair.

I agree, it\'s too expensive. If you already have the Giga version you are already licensed to use the samples. Therefore you\'re paying for the work involved in converting the library to the EXS24 presumably.

The samples would already be named, trimmed, normalised etc. from the Giga version and a lot of the sample mapping could be imported from the Giga version into the EXS quite easily, or at least it should have been if they value their time!! Aren\'t Emagic updating the EXS so it has the perfomance tools built in? Presumably there\'s a saving in development cost there.

I\'ve been holding off buying VSL until I hear QLSO. I\'m not sure I\'d buy it as a matter of principle now since it\'s essential that I can run these big orchestra libraries in both Logic on the Mac and my Giga PCs.

You\'ve probably lost a customer here VSL [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Well, a lot of development went into making the GS version as well! Shouldn\'t you be able to trade them the \"development cost\" of the GS in exchange for the \"development cost\" of the EXS version?

It really depends on how much of the cost of the library is the cost of the development. I find it hard to believe that it would be 50% of the total price!

I would think a cross-grade price of $250 would be more than adequete, given that you return your old GS disks back to them so that you\'re not actually having 2 copies for the price of 1 so to speak.

Anything more would be uncivilized!

Then again those investor guys have to recoup a poop-load of money that they just sank into this bizarre venture....good luck!

What they need then is the option to turn in your gigastudio discs for EXS disc for a small fee. I believe Miraslav did that if you wanted to trade your Akai or SampleCell discs for Gigastudio.

What they need then is the option to turn in your gigastudio discs for EXS disc for a small fee. I believe Miraslav did that if you wanted to trade your Akai or SampleCell discs for Gigastudio. [/QUOTE]

For me it\'s not a case of having one or the other, I want both!! For instance, I\'d like to put the strings on one of my Giga PCs, brass on the other Giga PC and woodwinds and percussion in the EXS24 in Logic on my Mac. I CAN do this with QLSO I believe.

I\'d also like to have second authorize so everything can be installed on the Mac and can be accesed within Logic. As Lee points out, I can do this with my Spectrasonic and Yellow Tools virtual instruments and I\'d have to think long and hard about buying libraries that won\'t let me do this. With VSL I\'m going to have to spend way too much money for the EXS crossgrade. I hope QLSO will be more flexible.

Well I just read Doug\'s post in the EW forum and it looks like multiple authorizations will be possible. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:

I prefer to pay for licensing the content, but then have the freedom to use it as I wish.

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">(sound cue: cartoon double take) ???????

You can run VSL on as many computers, platforms, samplers, and DAW apps as you like, right? Your original purchase of the Giga license has licensed the underlying wave files for your use, and they can be mapped to any platform you wish. In fact, if demand for cross platform solutions is really picking up steam, then one could realistically expect Garth (aka Chicken Systems Translator) to cover your butt on that one.

So I\'m confused, again. How does your current VSL license limit any usage of the product? You can add as many Giga machines as you like. You can export those underlying waveforms in batch, and you can remap them to any other sample platform your heart desires.

On the other hand, what you\'re suggesting is a better method actually eliminates that option for you. You would buy a sample set which was locked to a single engine, which could not be ported elsewhere as you desire. This implementation doesn\'t bring anything to the multi-machine scenario that doesn\'t exist already. And dearest to my heart, pluggo-libraries can offer only the implementations imagined by their authors at worst, and at best can only be opened up in the single sampler-relative of the underlying engine format (in the case of Kontakt).

So how do you get more for your money with the second scenario? Seems to me the conditions of use are much more liberal with the first.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

I\'m also not hearing discussion of the 16 vs. 24-bit file depths. GigaStudio users will not get 24-bit upgrades \"free,\" either. So there\'s also some pricing consideration there.

If other Giga users are like me they will be saying keep it at 16 bit until hard drives are bigger and faster by 50% or so [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum