• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone using an electronic drumset to trigger samples?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone using an electronic drumset to trigger samples?

Hi All,
    I was just curious on how practical it is to use an electronic drum kit to trigger samples for the sake of recording. Primarily I was considering this for the sake of \"real\" drummers that come to my studio and want to play as opposed to program. Since I don\'t want to go through the trouble of mic\'ing kits everytime someone comes over,I thought this would be a viable solution.
    The real question is, how much cleanup to the midi track is required to make it sound realistic(assuming you have a good acoustic kit library)?
    I would imagine that there would be some problems with drum rolls and the \"machine gun effect\".
    Is anyone making this work well?
    Thanks Travis

Re: Anyone using an electronic drumset to trigger samples?

excellent question! I certainly have wondered the same since I gathered from Bruce\'s posts about Purrfect Drums that he sometimes uses a drum controller (am I worng about that Bruce?).

I also wonder with Drum Kit from Hell which has 16 velocity layers all triggering different samples used with a drum controller would help knock out the machine gun effect.

Drum controller users? Anybody from Drum Kits from Hell can answer?

I use a Roland SPD20. It works fairly well. It is much better than using the keyboard.
    My wife is a drummer and hates the thing. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I ask her to perform parts for me sometimes, but she always complains about the feel. She played the Roland VDrums and stated, “Now, I would love to have one of these!” The cost is so high that I can’t readily buy it now, but will definitely buy one in the future. If you have the money, buy a Roland Vdrum set.

In summary; the SPD20 will be great for percussion parts and better than a keyboard for kit parts, but I believe that a full Roland VDrum kit would be best for triggering of samples.
    Heck, it does it already so why not choose the samples you want to trigger.

Oh…
    The machine gun effect can be remedied fairly well by assigning the snare drum to two different pads (next to each other of course.) It even works better if the library contains left and right hits.

Beautiful!!! No AK47

I also wonder with Drum Kit from Hell which has 16 velocity layers all triggering different samples used with a drum controller would help knock out the machine gun effect.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Marty, with Drumkit from Hell there is absolutely no machinegun effect and it works great from triggers. I\'ve used it with a MidiKat controller and from a Ddrum kit and have had great results. It\'s so much faster than programming from a keyboard...well, at least for a drummer! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I\'m going to be trying it with triggers on my acoustic kit soon, so we\'ll see how well it tracks then, but so far I\'ve been very pleased triggering Giga from drum controllers.

Hope that helps!

Thanks, Lancelink. I had a feeling it would be realistic with drum kit from hell.

I use a DrumKAT, which has 10 pads, plus a few external pads, and kick and hihat pedals. The DrumKat allows you to program any pad to cycle through up to 8 notes, which is great. My snare pad cycles through different snare samples (L and R) every hit by alternating sending out different midi notes. Of course, you\'ll need a drum sample set that is setup with alternating samples on different notes. Also, my ride cymbal pad cycles through 4 different samples. Every tom alternates midi notes, etc. With this, I can jam out a performance that sounds great, with minimal midi tweaking. HTH.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I use a Roland TD-7 based kit to trigger drums, and it works very well. The machine-gun factor is definitely reduced, although newer programming techniques should all but eliminate it. As was mentioned, if you devote two pads to the snare (and you have a library with l/r hits) you can largely eliminate it right now.

The TD-7 kit has pads with rimshot detection, so you can map snare rimshot samples very realistically.

All that said, though, most drummers want to play their drums. Ironically, drums are exceedingly difficult to sample well, since every spot on the head responds differently, and you\'d need 32 velocities times about 1000 different hit locations to get the timbral variation a single snare drum can provide. If you\'re doing a slamming pop mix, you can cope. For a jazz thing, forget about it.

James is right, If your drum translator[Brain] allows you to, you can alternate betwween different drums, snare for instance.
    I have the NS giga drum set which was a free 100 meg drumset, that has left and right handed snare at I think eight different velocities .
    My drum Brain which is a old Yamaha DTS70 allows me to alternate ,stack or crossfade between 4 different drums .
    As far as my electronic drum set is concerned , it is a mutt set, a combination of different drums .
    The snare and all 4 toms are aucupads, but the snare is a meshhead acupad that I got on trade for $50 it was designed after the v drum mesh head and is so sensitive that I can do rolls just like on the v drums.
    They work as good as the Roland V drums and cost about $135 per drum pad.
    It took a bit of tweeking with my drum brain to get it set up just right though.
    If you have the older non mesh head acupad it runs $35 per pad to change over to the mesh head and tranducer.
    As cool as the V drums are you can get equal or better results from the less expensive Mesh head acupads and a good giga drum library, asuming that your drum Brain has enough flexible parameters to control those samples.

Go Back to forum