• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mellow Tune

Share/Bookmark

Mellow Tune

Here's a slow pop tune I wrote about thirty years ago but I was never happy with the lyrics. Someone in a songwriters forum once put their lyrics to it but I wasn't satisfied with those either. So it's just la,la vocals here. I got to play with the pitch bend wheel on this.

The steel guitar and voice is from SampleTank, the strings are GPO4 and the guitar, bass and drums are from JABB.

https://www.box.com/s/a09uzdqckbvb4ic8fuem

Re: Mellow Tune

Very nice Fastlane,

I think it would sound just as lovely as an instrumental piece, maybe with the vocal line played by an expressive solo violin (or even a solo cello). Just my humble opinion.

Thank you for posting. Again very nice!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Schweeeeeet, Phil! wow - from 30 years ago. Isn't it fun to re-visit work from the past like you've done here? You gave your old tune the royal treatment, with a really nice sounding production. That SampleTank voice is really super - I've used it a couple of times myself, -I was so surprised to find such a good sounding vocal sample in a free VST.

"Mellow Tune" is definitely a song, and needs a vocal. Lyrics can be such a problem, never as easy to compose as they may seem. The process of marrying melody and words probably works best when songwriters work with words first, and adapt them as needed once the melody starts appearing.

Coming up with lyrics for a pre-existing melody, with hopefully as little adapting as possible, that's much harder. I think you should try again to write some lyrics for this - that would take this to the next level.

It's a rare treat to hear musical output from you, Phil - so it's great to see your new thread up here today.

Randy

Aha, dear Phil, there is something for me! Musicians are very often said to be the worst dancers. You provided us with a piece to practice without breaking legs and... to enjoy the ears at the same time. What a treat. I particularly like the soft (sexy) voice. Randy suggested to put lyrics to the song, and maybe you should, although the listeners phantasy could come up with something.

Thanks for the little beauty,

Max

Quote Originally Posted by yjoh View Post
    Very nice Fastlane,

I think it would sound just as lovely as an instrumental piece, maybe with the vocal line played by an expressive solo violin (or even a solo cello). Just my humble opinion.

Thank you for posting. Again very nice!
    Well, thank you yjoh.

I'm glad you think the melody stands on it's own. If I can't come up with new lyrics I could possibly build upon it to make it an instrumental number. It's something at least worth trying.

Phil

Randy,

Schweeeeeet, Phil! wow - from 30 years ago. Isn't it fun to re-visit work from the past like you've done here? You gave your old tune the royal treatment, with a really nice sounding production. That SampleTank voice is really super - I've used it a couple of times myself, -I was so surprised to find such a good sounding vocal sample in a free VST.
    Yeah! It was a song I tried placing with a few recording artists back then using a support group's tip sheet but no luck. I was going for the cross over country genre. SampleTank XL was the first sample library I used just before getting GPO. The XL version really is a tank of samples. You never know what your going to find in it.

"Mellow Tune" is definitely a song, and needs a vocal. Lyrics can be such a problem, never as easy to compose as they may seem. The process of marrying melody and words probably works best when songwriters work with words first, and adapt them as needed once the melody starts appearing.
    That's why it's still just a melody I guess. I'd have to come up with a catchy hook that I could substitute for the original which is the first the first five notes of the chorus and then come up with a little story. Brain overload!

Thanks for listening and your thoughts.

Phil

Max,

I'm glad you enjoyed my slow song. It is easier to keep your balance with the slow ones. If you can't you've had one to many. Ha,ha.

Good dancers are usually lousy musicians.

Thank you for the nice comments.

Phil

Go Back to forum