• Register
  • Help

Topic: Combining mono and stereo samples

Combining mono and stereo samples

Any way to combine them other than to edit the .wavs and either make \"pseudo-stereo\" wavs or reduce the stereo wavs to mono wavs?

Re: Combining mono and stereo samples

It depends on what you mean by \"combine\". If you\'re talking about two velocities or dimensions within the same region with some being mono and some stereo, I think the answer is no. You may be able to mix mono and stereo regions within one instrument though. Not sure.

Yes, unfortunately, I\'m talking about really doing the \"combine\" function, thus being able to switch dimensions while playing. @#%(!!... this is going to be such a lot of work.

Gabriels, I think you\'ll be ok.

The main time you have a problem with stereo and mono samples is when you want them to exist as \'sub regions\' within the same region. A region has to have \'same \' sub regions - eg all the subregions in a region with multiple velocity splits should have either mono OR stereo - not both.

For example what you CAN\'T do is set up a single region for a single key and give it multiple velocity splits which a made up of a mixture of BOTH mono and stereo sub regions. At this lowest level of the \'dimensional hierarchy\' all subregions on a key must be the same . BUT, once you get above this point in the hierarchy, mixing and matching is fine (as far as I know).

It is totally cool to \'Combine\' two instruments which have different regions - eg make a keyswitched patch which switches between mono sustained strings and stereo pizz.

It\'s also totally cool to mix regions up along the keyboard in the same patch - eg you could have a single patch which had a mono kick on C1 and a stereo snare on D1.

When you are doing Combines (in the Giga editor sense of the term) you should keep in mind that it\'s necessary to make the range of the instruments you are combining the same. You may have to stretch the extremes of one or more instruments to make them match. eg if you are combining a mono sustained strings patch which has regions from C2 to C6 with a stereo pizz patch ranging from D2 to G5 you\'ll need to stretch the pizz patch\'s D2 down to C2 and its G5 up to C6 before you do the actual combine.

Hope this helps

ChickenSys also made a special feature in the Translator to do Giga to Giga/ Stereo to Mono conversions. That could come in handy for you if you find you need to reduce stereo instruments to mono.

Also, you can combine instruments with different note ranges but they will be very confusing looking when combined and it will be very tricky to select the various dimensions and notes for editing. Stretching the notes to match each other as Chadwick advised is a good idea.

Thanks Chadwick and Dave,
    Well, I guess I\'m still going to have to mono-ize my samples. What I\'m doing is taking a solo string library and combining its different articulations so that I can use the modwheel to switch between, say, marcato and legato and pizzicato, etc etc as I\'m playing. I\'m not using layering because it causes a doubling of the voice making it sound like two players instead of a solo voice, so I merely switch between the different articulations.

When I try to combine the articulations in this fashion, I get the message that some of the regions will be deleted since I can\'t combine mono and stereo regions in this fashion.

Thanks for all the other thoughts, however. Giga is certainly an incredible, though frustrating tool.

And Dave... thanks for the heads up re Chickensys. I actually have Translator. I bought it long ago, and updated it once. Maybe I need to update again. This could be a new feature, or one I missed.

Go Back to forum