• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cat and Mouse

Cat and Mouse

I was going to take my debut plunge and post a piano piece, as my main composition output is educational piano music for beginners through to early advanced. But... after the great thread from Snorlax, I decided to post one of my efforts at writing for the string section of the orchestra.

I wrote this about 4 years ago, the strings are from GPO 4 and being rendered straight from Sib score, it is of course mechanical, etc.

I definitely had "Tom & Jerry" type images in my mind when I wrote this and deliberately restricted myself to strings only as I wanted to learn how to handle just this section before getting more adventurous.

Although I had great fun with this piece, it isn't my area of expertise so any and all comments are most welcome.

(Edited, I had written GPO Sibelius Edition instead of GPO4)

Music... A Joy For Life.

Shelton, Washington State

Re: Cat and Mouse

I enjoyed your Cat and Mouse. I think you conveyed the idea quite well and maintained interest through out the piece.

Sure, it could use some humanizing for realism but as you said you weren't trying for that right now.

I think a little more reverb would help but probably not too much on the low strings.

It was great to hear some of your music.

Hi Phil,

I so glad you like the piece and thought the idea came across, there's hope for me yet! I did do a version with some processing but I did overdo the reverb, so I decided to post this one instead.

Thank you so much for listening, I really appreciate it.

(It sure was a nerve racking moment when I pressed the submit button.)

Music... A Joy For Life.

Nice use of tremolo and pizzicato for anticipation. I myself intend one day to use one of those squiggly little bits that don't make any sound. What do you call them, ah yes...rests. I also quite like the rapid movement between sections.

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for listening and your nice comments about the anticipation I was trying to convey. I would have liked to use "sul ponticello" in the opening but it's not available in GPO as yet so I made do with tremolos.

Thank you again!

Music... A Joy For Life.

Hi Yjoh,

What a lovely cat-and mouse-chase. The only thing missing here is the images to make the picture complete. Of course some editing and reverb would embellish the music, but it gives us a very good impression of your intentions.

Hi Max,

I'm about to turn the computer off for the night but before I do, I wanted to say thank you so much for your enthusiastic response. I'm so glad the piece has been interpreted as I intended.

The pictures are in all there in my head but it would be so much more fun to score to film, it's something I would enjoy.

Thank you so much again, it means a lot!

Music... A Joy For Life.

Bravo, Yjoh! You've not only taken the music-posting-plunge, but left us such a really fun little nugget of music gold to discover here in the LR.

I love it - "Tom and Jerry" indeed, with a touch more elegance. Super.

Yes, yes, it needs reverb. That's available in the Sib mixer. Something else, in the ARIA control panel, you can move the "Length" control on the string patches up past its default. For some reason, that default is too abrupt, causing unnatural premature ending of the sound. As a matter of course, I always move that up a tiny bit and it helps immensely.

Really neat piece of music. Thanks--and now you can relax! You've made your debut, and did it with aplomb.

Hi Randy,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. It was a nervous leap on my part considering the standard of music posted here. I'm so glad it worked out ok.

Yes, I agree the endings are abrupt so thank you for the hint on the length control in ARIA, I'll use it from now on.

I had a version where I rendered each track to wav and processed them in my daw, but I over did it and ended up deleting the whole mess. I was still working with rigid sounding audio because of the render from Sib, so it seemed a futile effort. One day I'll force myself to play each line in for more realism.

Thank you so much again, I really appreciate it.

Music... A Joy For Life.

Go Back to forum