• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question about my sample CD's

Share/Bookmark

Question about my sample CD\'s

I was looking through my sample CD\'s. Then I saw the inscription Mitsui CD-R on the EastWest Bösendorfer CD\'s and Ultimate Strings CD (I didn\'t notice this before). I bought these CD\'s at DMM Amsterdam, some time ago. They were a legal shop. So is it normal that these libraries are on CD-Recordables, or did they sell me illegal stuff? The booklet and the CD label are as they should be.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Question about my sample CD\'s

Originally posted by Luigi:
    I was looking through my sample CD\'s. Then I saw the inscription Mitsui CD-R on the EastWest Bösendorfer CD\'s and Ultimate Strings CD (I didn\'t notice this before). I bought these CD\'s at DMM Amsterdam, some time ago. They were a legal shop. So is it normal that these libraries are on CD-Recordables, or did they sell me illegal stuff? The booklet and the CD label are as they should be.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Interesting. Doug Rogers should be able to answer this.

Doug?

For what it\'s worth, many sample distributors do distribute on CD-R. For one thing, the sales quantities are not nearly as high as music albums, so a low quantity manufactured run is often more expensive than one-offs (where the reverse is usually true when ordering album quantities). Also, the artwork preparation for manufactured CDs is a lot more involved and expensive than printing one-off labels, unless you\'re dealing in lots of 1000.

Some sample developers custom watermark sets per user, so those are always distributed via CD-R since each copy has a discrete identifier.

But of course, the third option, which you are investigating, is a little darker horse. There have been cases of less than honest distributors actually knocking off the CD and booklet (easy enough to do) and pocketing the entire nut instead of passing the developer\'s share on to him.

Before anyone goes off, I have NEVER heard this complaint leveled towards anyone who frequents this forum, or any of the mainstream distributors. There was a case of a couple of fly-by-night companies who were suspected of this some time ago, but I think both of those companies were essentially starved out of business by the developers they screwed. What goes around comes around...

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Can\'t say anything about the CD\'s you bought, but I think it\'s getting more and more common to burn sample cd\'s instead of pressing them. Sample-cd\'s are usually made in small numbers, (compared to music-cd\'s), and it\'s more economic to burn instead of pressing.
    We burn all our CD\'s.

Same here, the quantities are just not enough to justify pressing.
    Even the big distributors like Tascam don\'t buy nearly enough from us to justify pressing, so it\'s all CDRs for us too and it enables us to copy protect each library individually, I\'d like to see one of our libraries pop up again on a Pirate group\'s site, they\'d be in for a real surprise.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kindly,
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Luigi,

First, thank you for being so observant.

The products in question are manufactured in-house. Like many developers, we do this for formats that have a relatively small user base.

Take care,

Doug Rogers
    -------------------
    EASTWEST
    www.soundsonline.com

So you pay for a indestructible CD and you get a fragile CDr. Hmmm.
    Is this mentioned somewhere on the cover?

------------
    Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Alexcremers:

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, actually you pay for the rights to use the samples. We have sold CD\'s this way for some three years, and we have not got one single complaint about a CD tha\'s been bad or unreadable. And if we should, we simply would send the customer a new one.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Franky:
    Same here, the quantities are just not enough to justify pressing.
    Even the big distributors like Tascam don\'t buy nearly enough from us to justify pressing, so it\'s all CDRs for us too and it enables us to copy protect each library individually, I\'d like to see one of our libraries pop up again on a Pirate group\'s site, they\'d be in for a real surprise.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Kindly,
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is the kind of copy protection I LIKE!!!!

Of course, I hope your libraries don\'t show up on the pirate channel, but if they do, it will be interesting to know how your \"casual sharing\" source reacts to getting sued out the ying-yang.

Originally posted by Alexcremers:

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Worra is right. You don\'t pay $$$ for a piece of silvery cd material. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That\'s just a way to hold the material you licensed. If your late hamster decides to eat your complete sample collection, you officially still own the licenses to use the sounds. With the right registration or purchase papers, of course.

Best,
    Maarten

There are only a few libraries you can register, like GOS, but a lot of libraries can\'t be registered. So you buy the licence, but your name is not registered. So the only prove you have is the sample library self.

Wouldn\'t it be good to provide every seperate library with a seperate code on which you can register your name, to prove that you bought the licence?
    People with illegal copies won\'t be able to do this, because they don\'t get these codes of course.

Go Back to forum