• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Song of the Air - New work for solo flute

Share/Bookmark

Song of the Air - New work for solo flute

This is the first movement of Three Preludes for solo flute. Realized with GPO4, using the Convolution preset Traditional Symphonic Concert Hall (using 100% send). The score is in Finale, but I played the piece into Digital Performer, then got to work adjusting tempo, note velocities and lengths, and modulation. I tweaked CC 22 & 23 a bit for slight variations in pitch & timbre. Here's the link:

https://www.box.com/s/8o8wqr5vfvzbedvqip7b

Any suggestions are welcome, as I'm working to get the most out of GPO and DP... it's fun drawing in the controller info. I'm working on realizations for the other two movements as well: a truly espressivo piece and a jig.

Thanks, John
    John Newell
    www.johnnewellmusic.com
    GPO4, Garritan World Instruments, Digital Performer 7.24, Finale 2012, Miroslav Philharmonik

Re: Song of the Air - New work for solo flute

That's a rather nice abstract flute piece, John. I'm playing it again as I type.

The extra work you're putting into getting a good recording is certainly paying off. Good for you!

You said you played the piece, you recorded it in DP. Why not continue using the keyboard to record the volume performance, and other MIDI data? It's always preferable, getting the most organic results. Drawing data is an OK second best. If you have a mod wheel and other controls on your keyboard, I suggest you try using those and only drawing to edit the recorded data.

Good choice, using the Convolution Reverb in ARIA - it's really instantly better sounding than Ambience. I'm surprised your Send was up to 100 percent-! I usually can't go much past 9:00 on the dial before it starts sounding too cavernous to me. What you have here didn't really bother me, it sounded OK - I'm assuming you like the sound of the flute in that large, empty space.

Good work - best wishes on the rest of the movements.

Randy

Very nice, John. I thought the piece showed off the flute, and the flute player, nicely. The lone flute sound in the big reverb fit the title.
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Hi John,

A lovely haunting piece. I had an image of a little lone bird calling and then listening for a answer before singing away to itself.

Very nice!
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    That's a rather nice abstract flute piece, John. I'm playing it again as I type.

The extra work you're putting into getting a good recording is certainly paying off. Good for you!

You said you played the piece, you recorded it in DP. Why not continue using the keyboard to record the volume performance, and other MIDI data? It's always preferable, getting the most organic results. Drawing data is an OK second best. If you have a mod wheel and other controls on your keyboard, I suggest you try using those and only drawing to edit the recorded data.

Good choice, using the Convolution Reverb in ARIA - it's really instantly better sounding than Ambience. I'm surprised your Send was up to 100 percent-! I usually can't go much past 9:00 on the dial before it starts sounding too cavernous to me. What you have here didn't really bother me, it sounded OK - I'm assuming you like the sound of the flute in that large, empty space.

Good work - best wishes on the rest of the movements.

Randy
    Thanks for your suggestion Randy. I did use the Mod wheel when recording, and will check into using it for tweaking things. For final tweaking (esp. note velocities) I enjoy drawing them in... . I use an Axiom 61 keyboard which has a lot of features, and I need to learn how to use them! In real time to control the automation recording in my DAW, is my guess. Much to learn

I used only 18% on the Stereo Stage setting, so that may explain why the sound wasn't washed out by the reverb.
    John Newell
    www.johnnewellmusic.com
    GPO4, Garritan World Instruments, Digital Performer 7.24, Finale 2012, Miroslav Philharmonik

Thumbs up Re: Song of the Air - New work for solo flute

Dear John,

I love the piece immensely. Being a flute player myself, I would absolutely like to play it. It gives lots of room for interpretation and colouring. Every player's dream. Congratulations. It would be nice to give us the other parts too, and for myself maybe the score... This recording doesn't show us all the possibilities of the composition, but it provides a good impression of what could be done with it.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Max

A very interesting work, both sides of composition and performance.

Can't wait for the following movements. Bravo.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Great!! Simply no other words for it.

Rendering: some loud notes are a bit distorted, but that can be my headphones.

Raymond

I really like it. Some what simple minimalism(good) but very effective. I like the spaces between the notes that allow the verb to play out.

You can definitely tell there is something different coming.

I also have an Axion (49) that sits above my Yamaha digital piano. I think the keyboard is a little sloppy(you can wiggle the keys back and forth) compared to my old controllers but it's fine for just playing in notes and it has very good after-touch.

Too bad DirectLink dosen't work with DP. It dosen't work with my main DAW either. Just the most popular studio ones. It's a hassle to set up the sliders, pans and transport controls manually, if you haven't already, but not horribly difficult.

Great work!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Dear John,

I love the piece immensely. Being a flute player myself, I would absolutely like to play it. It gives lots of room for interpretation and colouring. Every player's dream. Congratulations. It would be nice to give us the other parts too, and for myself maybe the score... This recording doesn't show us all the possibilities of the composition, but it provides a good impression of what could be done with it.

Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Max
    Thanks for your comments everyone! I'm at work on a realization of the second movement: "Such blue waters! Such blue sky!" It takes off from the tradition of the Japanese Shakuhachi, and I expect to have it up this weekend. The third movement is an almost traditional Celtic jig. Max, thanks for your interest. You're right about "the possibilities." It takes a live performer. My goal with digital realizations is to give a "close enough" account of my works in digital format. As a performer (I'm a pianist) I enjoy "playing" the pieces and experimenting with the acoustic variables in GPO and my DAW. Sample score pages are on my web site at:

http://www.johnnewellmusic.com/Instrumental_Solo.html

I'll be happy to send you a copy of the entire piece.

John Newell
    John Newell
    www.johnnewellmusic.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast