• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Universal Piano Demo (more)

Share/Bookmark

Universal Piano Demo (more)

Hey power users and sample creators of this forum!

Now, you might think it´s getting old, but I want another kind of demo than the Purgatory Creek one. It´s good for some things, but it doesn´t show off the softer side of the pianos very well. So, last night, I heard Beethoven´s 8th piano sonata, 2nd movement; Adagio Cantabile in \"The man who wasn´t there\" and fell in love with it. I searched the web and found an excellent performance at the Classical Archives, played by G.Giulimondi (I believe).

It´s just a fabulous piece and I think it´s very different from the Purgatory Creek demo, as it shows another, more tender side of the instrument, highlighting the dynamics and the softer samples pretty well. I hope as many soft piano makers as possible catch on to this! So you piano sampler dudes out there, please load up your Gigastudio/Kontakt/Halion rigs with your pianos, record the audio from the gs outputs, apply some reverb and upload it to the net so we can hear for ourselves how your amazing works of art sound directly compared to other pianos! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Here´s the midi file: http://exce.ath.cx/~route909/audio/adagio_cantabile.mid

Maestro Concert Grand with SIR reverb (PCM90 - Concert hall) and Waves X-Crackle (I use Gigastudio32 and the polyphony runs out, sometimes causing crackles in the audio): http://exce.ath.cx/~route909/audio/sonata8mv2.mp3

If you are short on web space, upload it to my private ftp and I´ll host it on my web site for you. You have permission to upload files, and create directories, but you can´t delete anything, not even your own uploaded files.

The address to my ftp is:
    ip: 213.66.166.250
    port: 21
    username: beethoven
    pass: sonata

Mats

Re: Universal Piano Demo (more)

Hi Route99

Could you post an mp3 of the G.Giulimondi performance, too? (To let us compare the performance using samples with a live performance.)

I\'d like to hear all the piano libraries in other pieces, too: (Please don\'t be offended by the very different pieces--you\'ll understand why the wide shift in genres would give us a better sense of what the libraries can do.)

The Moonlight Sonata
    Joni Mitchell\'s \"I Wish I Had a River\"
    Ray Charles\' \"Georgia\"

These three (piano) songs would give us a sense of how each library would sound in subtle, demanding contexts. (Yes, I\'m asking too much, but I still want to hear all the libraries playing all of these...)

Nice midi file indeed, I will upload some clips with the GRANDSIOSO piano libs soon.

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    Hi Route99

Could you post an mp3 of the G.Giulimondi performance, too? (To let us compare the performance using samples with a live performance.)

I\'d like to hear all the piano libraries in other pieces, too: (Please don\'t be offended by the very different pieces--you\'ll understand why the wide shift in genres would give us a better sense of what the libraries can do.)

The Moonlight Sonata
    Joni Mitchell\'s \"I Wish I Had a River\"
    Ray Charles\' \"Georgia\"

These three (piano) songs would give us a sense of how each library would sound in subtle, demanding contexts. (Yes, I\'m asking too much, but I still want to hear all the libraries playing all of these...)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Jake!

I did post an mp3 file of the midi file, with my piano, and if you come up with the midi files, I´m sure I wouldn´t mind testing my piano with them. The problem is finding quality midi files. Most midi files, be they classical or pop, have no feel to them. They are just plotted in, note by note, in full velocity (or almost).

Here´s the Moonlight sonata, first movement:
    http://exce.ath.cx/~route909/audio/mcgdemo1.mp3
    The reverb is Timeworks ReverbX.

Mats

What a beautiful piece of music! Velocity switch points in libraries and the velocity scaling of the controller used to produce the MIDI files never match up 100% and I was tempted to adjust the midi file to match up better with my pitiful beta, but in the interest of full-disclosure rendered the MIDI unedited. IMHO, players who are performing with a library live tend to \"compensate\" for each library on the fly.

Here\'s my MP3:

http://www.themusicdifference.com/cgi/download/download.pl?filename=mkaw3

Eq and reverb impulse were applied to the captured wave.

What a relaxing work of art, it\'s nightee night for me :-) Peace from Lex, Ky U.S.A. - Kev

Mats: I tried to upload a file to your ftp but it was cutoff midway.

Originally posted by Kevin Moreland:
    What a beautiful piece of music! Velocity switch points in libraries and the velocity scaling of the controller used to produce the MIDI files never match up 100% and I was tempted to adjust the midi file to match up better with my pitiful beta, but in the interest of full-disclosure rendered the MIDI unedited. IMHO, players who are performing with a library live tend to \"compensate\" for each library on the fly.

Here\'s my MP3:

http://www.themusicdifference.com/cgi/download/download.pl?filename=mkaw3

Eq and reverb impulse were applied to the captured wave.

What a relaxing work of art, it\'s nightee night for me :-) Peace from Lex, Ky U.S.A. - Kev

Mats: I tried to upload a file to your ftp but it was cutoff midway.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmm, I just noticed the file in the folder. Strange... You might have begun uploading just as I was shutting down my machine for the night (Yeah, I do that...). Sorry. Nice warm piano sound btw [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mats

Route, I may use the midi files and post the demos here, bt I can\'t download the midi file, I get the \"this page can not be displayed\" error.

Franky
    Vintaudio

Originally posted by Franky:
    Route, I may use the midi files and post the demos here, bt I can\'t download the midi file, I get the \"this page can not be displayed\" error.

Franky
    Vintaudio
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Franky!

I don´t know the status of Daniel´s server, but you can download the files from my ftp now.
    It´s a DSL server, so don´t expect massive transfer speeds. This is a temporary solution.

ftp://beethoven:sonata@213.66.166.250

Mats

Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    Nice midi file indeed, I will upload some clips with the GRANDSIOSO piano libs soon.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I see you´ve uploaded them [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Great sounds, really awesome! I love the Bösendorfer! Now, I can´t access my web site, but anyone interested can download from my slow 512 kb dsl ftp until I reach Daniel and his server is up and running. The PMI pianos and my Concert Grand are the only pianos on the ftp server so far, so please upload some more [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

ftp://beethoven:sonata@213.66.166.250

Mats

Hi Mats,
    Can you say when these demos will be on-line?

Go Back to forum