• Register
  • Help

Topic: New to me probably old news to everyone else

New to me probably old news to everyone else

Yeah, so I'm very new to orchestration. I'm a guitar player who got started when I wanted to add a little depth to my guitar music about 5 years ago. It all started when I found out I had a virtual piano on my computer and I discovered the staff view in Sonar. From there I slowly began wanting more instruments so I would go on hunts for freeware virtual instruments. Before I knew it I was wanting an entire orchestra. I purchased GPO after a friend showed me a composition he did in it. It was light years ahead of the cheap sounding synths I was using. To this day I've never been a part of any school band and I've never actually played an instrument in an orchestra. The only way I know what instruments sound like is via virtual instruments. (I've been to symphonies before but I learned to distinguish instruments from listening to samples not from playing their real counterparts.)

Occasionally I would create what I called a "combination sound" where I would create a sound by blending different instruments by either putting them in unison or setting one an octave higher, or a fifth etc. I had never heard the terms "textures" or "blended textures" before so I had to create a word for it hence "combination sound". Anyway, because I've never really studied music in school (outside of choir) The only way I've learned to create textures is by ear.

I wanted to share one that I created today. When combining tremolo violas with FF french horn overlay you get quite the tone of urgency. I'm creating a piece to paint the imagery of a battle and I really like the sound. Let me know what you think. I know it's not original, combining french horns and violas but I just really liked the sound so much I thought I would share. I also really dig the sound of flutes an octave higher than trumpets. Heck, flutes an octave higher than anything sound amazing.

Shelton, Washington State

Re: New to me probably old news to everyone else

I think that's how many people discover what you can do with GPO and other virtual instruments. Let's face it, there are a lot more popular music musicians out there than classical or jazz and they have access to 95% of the listening market.

You should check out Garritan's Instant Orchestra if you want to get cool sounds quickly.

Hope to hear your music!

Quote Originally Posted by Dane Grant View Post
    ...I wanted to share one that I created today...
    Where's the clip, Dane?-- I love your post, the layering experiments you're doing sound very cool and I want to hear what you're up to!

Yes, please share your sound clip - great to see the enthusiasm shining through!

Dane, your post and what you are experiencing is a "classic" (pardon the pun) example of Gary Garritan's original dream with GPO to not replace an army of musicians with samples, but to encourage all levels of musicians with a product that would bring them "back" to the orchestra.

Orchestral music is where practically all music comes from.

I too would like to hear what you are doing with GPO.

Hi Dane,

with the original instruments you can get a lot of weird sound combinations. Somewhere in the past I used the tremolo contrabasses together with the tremolo timpani (swelling) and it really sounded "scary", as if a completely new instrument was being played. Also, try a woodblock tremolo against a piccolo sustained note. There are thousands of combinations possible getting new sounds without "denaturizing" the original instruments.

Go Back to forum