• Register
  • Help

Topic: The World's First Professional Multi-Touch Audio Production System

Share/Bookmark

The World's First Professional Multi-Touch Audio Production System

Gary Garritan posted a video years ago of a experimental prototype large screen touch interface. He thought he saw the future. Phones and tablets have been the first to take advantage of this technology and now the first large screen multi-touch professional DAW interface has arrived.

Re: The World's First Professional Multi-Touch Audio Production System

Absolutely mind-boggling. Also, probably so expensive that it will be awhile before competition builds to lower prices. A great advancement, though, in audio technology. I'd love to have one of these......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Looking at the screen shot, my wife said it looks like the guy's gambling - "Where do you put the nickels in?"

Randy

I think you will need more than nickles to buy that system!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Looking at the screen shot, my wife said it looks like the guy's gambling - "Where do you put the nickels in?"

Randy
    Steven Slate is definitely gambling alright and I'm sure he has a boat load of nickels into this thing. There is quite a lengthy conversation going on over at Gearsluzt.com with Steven Slater responding to some of the posts. This prototype is being shown at the AES(Audio Engineers Society) convention this week end and then it's off to audio engineer Mike Shipley's studio.

This stuff is really aimed for upper end recording studio work right now. Also I think the MIDI side of a DAW still requires the mouse or touch pad point and click. At least with present technology.

I wonder if the next step is talking to it. Maybe give it a massage while your explaining to it (her or him?) what you want to accomplish with the recording session.

Nice, very nice!

I went to the website but no pricing as yet. It's out of my reach of course, just curious.

Did I already say, "nice, very nice!"
    yjoh

Music... A Joy For Life.

I don't like that man's voice - and wouldn't your arm get it bit tired after a while of reaching up....?

Quote Originally Posted by SecondSelf View Post
    ...wouldn't your arm get it bit tired after a while of reaching up....?
    I know mine would - I think that's a very valid point, and one that comes up whenever these touch screen concepts are demonstrated. To have a control surface closer at hand is much more practical - I don't think what we see in this video offers any important advantages, and is ultimately impractical because of the arm fatigue issue.

Randy

Steve Slate Post On Gearslutz 4 days ago

First of all, thanks so much for the kind words and enthusiastic response on the RAVEN MTX. I'll try to discuss a few things here.

TOUCHSCREEN vs. HARDWARE
    As someone who grew up in the industry when everything was all analog, the thought of having everything on touch screens was at first, intimidating. I was a skeptic. But I was also a skeptic when I switched from Blackberry to iphone. And of course now when I go back on a blackberry, it feels archaic. And then I'd watch as my young nieces and nephews would use the iPad like it was part of their body. So I figured, like anything, I would have to get used to it.

And then I tried it. It took me about three days using one of our touch panel prototypes before I was hooked. When we introduced our NanoScreen, which is so slick and smooth, it became heavenly. Soon, I went back to my console and touching real faders felt cluggy. That's not bullshit, that's the truth.

Using the Touchpanel and accessing your DAW with your hands makes you feel like a little kid in a candy shop. It's a wonderful experience, made even more special by the technology used in our state of the art multi touch screen.

FUTURE PROOF?
    Regarding this matter, I first want to say that the Raven's technology is so new, that much of it isn't even available yet. It works so well and I am sure people will be delighted with its performance.

Having said that, our goal was to make it future proof. So in five years if there is a new technology for displays or haptic touch, it's as easy as swapping out the old touch panel for a newer one. It's not hard to do, and we made it that way.

But again, you'll find the performance of this machine to be superb. Production is so much damn fun.

RAVEN CONTROLLER vs DAW
    I come from a land of analog consoles that have large 100mm faders, knobs not sliders, large buttons. The DAW mixer, even on a 46", does NOT have these things. The DAW is also not muli-touch. So we built the RAVEN CONTROLLER software with multi-touch functionality for multi fader automation passes, and large 100mm faders, 60mm send faders, large buttons, and large transport. It's a dream to use.

However, you can easily do single touch moves right on your Pro Tools mixer if you desire,

USB PORTS
    Client walks in and gives you a thumb drive... just plug it in and go. Super convenient. The great thing is.. if you don't want to use the USB ports... DON'T! Use your Mac's ports.. The Raven won't get jealous.

ERGONOMICS
    We worked with several ergonomics experts to get the perfect viewing angle for extreme comfort. We also met with optometrists, and chiropractors. Everything about the RAVEN was executed based on extensive research, professional feedback, and calculated thinking.

PRICE
    Currently, I can't give a price estimate because I am still pricing out the components in bulk quantity so that I won't give something false. But like all my products, my desire is to make something amazing and price it fairly, so that it won't just be drooled over, but used in real production by real people!

That's all for now, thanks folks!

Cheers,
    Steven

Post from Steven Slate Sunday

Hello from San Francisco!

This has been one of the most incredible weekends of my life!

51,000 views of the RAVEN MTX video on youtube. Over 100 demanded preorders. And we just won BEST IN SHOW from Pro Sound Network.

Some highlights:

Ed Cherney - "This is the future"

Elliot Scheiner - "This is the best thing I've seen in years. I gotta get one"

Chris Lord Alge - "The faders are responsive as f$ck. I need one of these for the studio"

David Miles Huber - "This is unbelievable. This is going in my next edition of the MODERN RECORDING TECHNIQUES. How soon can I get one?"

Mixerman - "This thing is incredible"

Phil Wagener - "This thing is fun"

I'm pleased to announce that we have secured worldwide distribution for the RAVEN MTX! So hopefully many of you will be able to try one.

Pricing for the RAVEN MTX coming soon!

And for the more budget minded people who still want to have amazing DAW touchscreen control.... see you at NAMM show.

Cheers,
    Steven

It looks like this thing might pay out a few nickels.

Phil

Go Back to forum